Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Announcements (Updated: May 22, 2018)

Welcome to Swifty's Garage!

Thanks to all of you for making this board what it is today!

Attention new members: We would like to welcome you personally, so please introduce yourself. Click here: INTRODUCTIONS

For all the latest news and announcements, please click here: PA System

Thank you - The Swifty's Garage Team

This board is best viewed at 1024 x 768 Resolution

Car of the Week:

Neo Scale Models 1977 Lincoln Continental Mark V

To learn more about the Neo '77 Lincoln Mark V: Click Here
Welcome to Swifty's Garage. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Thank You,
The Swifty's Garage Team

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Car of the Day: May 16, 2008; Johnny Lightning '86 Porsche 911 Turbo
Topic Started: May 16 2008, 10:07 AM (620 Views)
jedimario
Member Avatar
RAWR
Sorry about the wait, guys! My Internet crapped out around 12:30 or 1 this morning and hasn't come back till now :angry: But without further ado, here we go!

Posted Image

Today's Car of the Day is Johnny Lightning's 1986 Porsche 911 Turbo.

Posted Image

"wikipedia"

In 1974 Porsche introduced the first production turbocharged 911. Although called simply Porsche 911 Turbo in Europe, it was marketed as Porsche 930 (930 being its internal type number) in North America. The body shape is distinctive thanks to wide wheel-arches to accommodate the wide tires, and a large rear spoiler often known as a "whale tail" on the early cars, and "tea-tray" on the later ones. Starting out with a 3.0 L engine 260 PS (256 hp/191 kW), it rose to 3.3 L 300 PS (296 hp/221 kW) for 1978. The early cars are known for their exhilarating acceleration coupled with challenging handling characteristics and extreme turbo lag.

Posted Image

For more info, go to: Porsche 911 Turbo

Posted Image

This is one of my favorite Johnny Lightning castings, it captures the lines and feel of the real car so well. The wheels on this particular version are great!

Posted Image

Not the best engine bay, but there's not a lot of room to work with.

Posted Image
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 0516cotd1.jpg (167.41 KB)
Attachments: 0516cotd2.jpg (133.69 KB)
Attachments: 0516cotd3.jpg (141.28 KB)
Attachments: 0516cotd4.jpg (148.85 KB)
Attachments: 0516cotd5.jpg (152.07 KB)
Attachments: 0516cotd6.jpg (176.75 KB)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

craftymore
Member Avatar
Support your local demo derby.

Great looking Porche from JL. They nailed the rims on this to perfection. Pretty good trunk detail as well.

This might be one of JLs better foreign cars that they have done in their history.

Sir Crafty

davidj94
Out hunting for JL
Thats lookin' fine in Silver! Now I am wishing I had bought it when it came out. I will have to check around for one!

Sak
Member Avatar
Ezekiel 25:17
The JLs are my favorite diecast 911s.

I also have variations in red and black.

Swifty
Member Avatar
The Mustang II is a Mustang too!
One of Johnny Lightning's best (and most underused) castings. The tragic thing is that the 914 and 944 that we were shown mockups of never came to fruition. :(

ivantt
Member Avatar
New casting? Quick! Take it apart!
Someone in tooling at JL loved the car, and put their talent into making it look right. So where is the tooling? Why not revamp a good casting, instead of the ugly ones??? :o :o

Swifty
Member Avatar
I'll start a thread in the JL forum with the pics of the never completed tooling for the other Porsches. And while I'm at it, a few old Matchbox prototypes that never got produced (will be posted in the MB forum).

Swifty
Member Avatar
Now that we've concluded Lovemy1971Camaro's week, we move on to jedimario's week. Starting off strong with this JL Porsche! Nice to see Rob's cars for the current 2018 week too. :thumbup:

corvairjim
Member Avatar
Midsize
I need to dig up my maroon JL Porsche Turbo model. I don't recall the engine lid opening. What I do recall about it is that it is one of my favorite diecast Porsches, and I have a bunch of them!

jedimario
Member Avatar
RAWR
To this day this remains one of the best JL castings. But considering it's been a decade there hasn't been a tremendous amount of new competition for that title.

Something tells me my week from 2008 is going to be more popular than the currently running one :lol:

juantoo3
Member Avatar
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Swifty
May 18 2008, 03:03 PM
One of Johnny Lightning's best (and most underused) castings. The tragic thing is that the 914 and 944 that we were shown mockups of never came to fruition. :(
^This. Definitely one of JL's home runs.

tksjohn
Member Avatar
Fullsize
I wouldn't mind seeing some re-releases of this one :thumbup:

pjedsel
Member Avatar
Muscle Car
:thumbup: Definitely a fine piece from JL!

Pegers
Member Avatar
Pony Car
well done casting.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Car Of The Day · Next Topic »
Add Reply

September's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations FoolTrottel for winning September's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here

4th quarter 2017's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations guy64 for winning 4th quarter 2017's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here