Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Announcements (Updated: August 14, 2018)

Welcome to Swifty's Garage!

Thanks to all of you for making this board what it is today!

Attention new members: We would like to welcome you personally, so please introduce yourself. Click here: INTRODUCTIONS

For all the latest news and announcements, please click here: PA System

Thank you - The Swifty's Garage Team

This board is best viewed at 1024 x 768 Resolution

Car of the Week:

M2 1970 Chevrolet C60 custom pickup

Click Here: M2 '70 Chevrolet C60
Welcome to Swifty's Garage. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Thank You,
The Swifty's Garage Team

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Car Of The Day: August 10, 2008; Matchbox '59 Jaguar 3.4 Litre (Mark 2)
Topic Started: Aug 10 2008, 03:07 AM (634 Views)
Swifty
Member Avatar
The Mustang II is a Mustang too!
Posted Image

Today's car of the day is Matchbox's '59 Jaguar 3.4 Litre (Mark 2).

Posted Image

Wikipedia

[The Jaguar Mark 2 (also known as Mk2, Mk 2 or MkII) is a medium sized saloon car built during the 1950s and 1960s by the Jaguar company in Coventry, England.

Adhering to William Lyons' maxim of "grace, pace and space", the Mark 2 was a beautiful, fast and capable saloon car. It came with either a 2.4 L, 3.4 L or 3.8 L Jaguar XK6 engine. The 3.8 is similar to the unit used in the 3.8 E-Type (XKE), having a different inlet manifold and carburation (two SUs versus three on the E-Type in Europe) and therefore 30 bhp less. The head of the six cylinder engine in the E-Type was also different with its "straight port" layout as opposed to the slightly curved ports of the Mark 2. The 2.4 was fitted with twin Solexes, of which three were used in US spec 3.4s and 3.8s in order to meet SMOG emissions legislation. This reduced power output over the equivalent SU carburetted examples.

The Daimler 2.5 litre engine was fitted to the Daimler 250 derivative of the Mark 2 (In European markets known as the Daimler 2.5-V8 then Daimler V8-250), having first been used in the Daimler SP250. (Note: The SP250 was originally known as the Daimler Dart but "Dart" was a trademark of Dodge and had to be dropped by Daimler under threat of legal action). The aluminium alloy Daimler engine was lighter than the cast iron block Jaguar sixes, improving the handling of the Daimler over the Jaguar by reducing understeer.

1966 saw the leather seat covering replaced by 'high grade synthetic upholstery', and for the UK market the car lost its standard fog lamps. The sales price was reduced, as the sector became more closely contested with the introduction of the Rover 2000 TC. The Jaguar Mark 2 was by now nearing the end of its production life.

In 1967, the Mark 2 became the 240 and 340, whilst the 3.8 litre engine was dropped; the later cars are identified by slim front and rear bumpers.

The Mark 2 was raced successfully in the European Touring Car Championship, until the Ford Falcon convincingly outperformed it.

Posted Image

For more information and pictures of the real car please visit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_Mark_2

Posted Image

This is a very early piece from Matchbox- yet it has something none of the current Matchbox cars have- and that's an opening hood. When was the last time we got an opening hood on a Matchbox? Opening doors went away in the early part of this decade. The most recent Matchbox I can think of with an opening hood is the Skoda they did in the '80s. There's probably at least one I'm forgetting since then, but it's late and my brain's not running on all eight cylinders.

Posted Image

Wikipedia

The Mark 2 is well known as the car driven by fictional TV detective Inspector Morse played by John Thaw, although Morse's car was the least desirable version (with its 2.4 L engine, steel wheels and everflex roof). It was often pushed into scenes with engine noises dubbed onto the soundtrack in post-production. In November 2005, the car used in the television series sold for more than GBP 100,000 once it had been restored from its rather scruffy condition (in which state it had made GBP 53,000, some GBP 45,000 more than an equivalent without the history would be worth). [2]However in the original novels by Colin Dexter, Morse drove a Lancia.

The Mark 2 transcended borders of class and breeding in the 1960s, being owned by city bankers and bank robbers. The 3.8 specifically gained a reputation as a capable car (especially for bank raids), being fast (over 200 bhp (149 kW) and 125 mph (200 km/h), with room enough for five adults.

The British police were often to be found chasing them, as depicted in TV cop shows. Paradoxically they were used as police patrol cars, especially on UK motorways which in the 1960s had no speed limit. It is sometimes incorrectly rumoured that the police upgraded the 3.8 with the XKE inlet manifolds and triple SU carburettors However the E type manifold will not fit the MK2 cylinder head and there was no other manifold available to enable the triple carburettors to be fitted.

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

craftymore
Member Avatar
Support your local demo derby.

For being such an old MB, the hood does fit very good on this. See this casting has an awful looking trailer hitch. Beyond that, this is a great historical piece and simply a great casting. I like it.

JustDavid
Member Avatar
SUV
Gorgeous! Absosutely gorgeous!! The opening hood is a great touch.

bangerkid45
Member Avatar
Ultimate American Banger Enthusiast!
For all of those banger know it all's, has 1 of these ever been raced before? And if so, can you pm me a pic :), im not bangering one of these :lol: , i just wanted to know

thanks,

Jon

Sak
Member Avatar
Ezekiel 25:17
That's a Mark II! The Mark I (just known in its day as the '3.4 Litre'...Mark I came about retroactively) was 65A, the model this one superseded!

As lovely as the Mark II was...I always prefered the earlier generation. Something about the car...

Supraman
Member Avatar
Swifty's @Work Alter Ego
Sak
Aug 18 2008, 07:32 PM
That's a Mark II! The Mark I (just known in its day as the '3.4 Litre'...Mark I came about retroactively) was 65A, the model this one superseded!

Fixed! This one was labeled 3.4 litre on the base, hence why I went with the Mark 1... Hard to tell them apart, but this one lacks the extra lights the Mark 1 had, proving you right. :thumbup:

Dean-o-mite
Member Avatar
Muscle Car
I've told the story a couple of times in the past of the lady who was my junior high science teacher for two years, and who presented me with a group of 1960's Matchbox cars which had been her brother's toys. One of the included cars was one of these Jaguar models, so that is instantly what I think of when I see this blast-from-the-past COTD.

atombaum
Member Avatar
The Quest Continues
Dean-o-mite
Aug 10 2018, 03:47 AM
I've told the story a couple of times in the past of the lady who was my junior high science teacher for two years, and who presented me with a group of 1960's Matchbox cars which had been her brother's toys. One of the included cars was one of these Jaguar models, so that is instantly what I think of when I see this blast-from-the-past COTD.
Never saw that story, so thanks. Great memory. This MBX was one my my favorites back in the day. I think they came in blue too (maybe an earlier casting, not sure), but I only have the red ones (both black and grey wheels).

atombaum
Member Avatar
The Quest Continues
A grey wheel example.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

tksjohn
Member Avatar
Station Wagon
atombaum
Aug 10 2018, 05:23 AM
A grey wheel example.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
A much more presentable example then the one posted 10 years ago :thumbup:
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

pjedsel
Member Avatar
Muscle Car
:thumbup: :drool: :petkitty: One of those wonderful Jaguar models from Matchbox! While the little trailer hitch is not that great a thing to look at now a days - it was a great addition that Matchbox had on many of their regular wheels cars with plenty of trailers to be pulled! The opening bonnet was one of those treats - great to check the oil at the BP Station! :D

Here is the blue one that was mentioned which is an earlier casting - Jaguar 3.4 Litre MK 1 Saloon
Posted Image

Pegers
Member Avatar
Pony Car
they all look good to me.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

atombaum
Member Avatar
The Quest Continues
Thanks for showing the blue one John. Hope to add that someday. ;)

corvairjim
Member Avatar
Station Wagon
atombaum, you have some fine examples of early Moko Lesney Matchboxes there! What a pleasure to see them, if only online and not in-hand. I have a couple examples of this Jag, but neither is in that sort of condition (My Pickford's van is closer). Anyhow, it's great to see ANY early Matchbox in the Car of the Day feature, even if it is from the 10 year old file. This Jaguar is one of my favorites.

ivantt
Member Avatar
New casting? Quick! Take it apart!
Funny how one heck of a beater still looks good, because the CASTING is a good looking one! :thumbup:

STUTZ
Member Avatar
Diecast junkie
atombaum
Aug 10 2018, 05:23 AM
A grey wheel example.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Beautiful! Posted Image

Dean-o-mite
Member Avatar
Muscle Car
If Maisto released this same car today, exactly as shown, I can't help but envision the negative comments about the colored windows, lack of interior, raised door lines, and unrealistic wheels and tires. No disrespect to the Matchbox, as I love it (and Maistos), but it is interesting to see the important role nostalgia plays in collector opinions on toy cars.

ivantt
Member Avatar
New casting? Quick! Take it apart!
Excellent point by Dean. A really mediocre diecast of yesteryear can at times get a rave due to the "I loved this casting when I was a child" factor.

cody6268
Member Avatar
Minivan
A lot of people seem to be complaining about the blue glass used with the two castings in the new opening parts line modelled after Lesney era models. The vast majority of my Regular Wheels and early Superfasts have blue windows, though a few do have clear. Because of that, it doesn't really bother me about those. And keep in mind that, before this model, all Matchboxes in previous years didn't have window glass.

Given the era, this is a very well done model.
Edited by cody6268, Aug 11 2018, 04:28 PM.

juantoo3
Member Avatar
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote:

Given the era, this is a very well done model.

Precisely my thoughts.

Dean's point is valid if you are going to compare old and new side by side. Since I didn't have vintage Matchbox when I was growing up (I'm a redlines kid, and Tootsietoy), nostalgia doesn't play as important a role to me in early models from Matchbox, Husky, Budgie, Benbros, Impy, Corgi jr, Majorette, AHI, Real Toys and Real Types, even older slush mold like Barclay, MetalMasters and Hubley. I can appreciate each of these in their context. Would a 1955 Matchbox hold its own against a 2019 Auto World? Not a chance in hades. But a 1955 Matchbox in its context, the day and time and era it came out in, it was a state of the art and top of the line child's plaything (don't go comparing with full size Dinky and Corgi, Tonkas, Doepkes etc, let's keep this in 1/64ish scale for this discussion).

Further, I would say if Auto World *truly* were "World," this 50s era Jaguar is precisely the kind of models that collectors would snarf up if done to their standards. To Matchbox's credit over the years, they've covered a lot more "World" cars than most of the makers out there now, only High Speed (now defunct) and Maisto can even begin to compare. Yatming and Zylmex had a good run, and still covered more than the boutique makers of today.

So credit needs to be given where credit is due. Grandpa might be moving a little slow these days compared to the young whippersnappers, but without Grandpa, the whippersnappers wouldn't even exist.... ;)

atombaum
Member Avatar
The Quest Continues
Good discussion! In an objective way (if it's possible for me to see it that way) the Jag (and most other early Matchbox vehicles) definitely appear toy-like by today's standards. That is the type of toy that I still prefer today. Realism is fine, and it can blow my mind, but the ones that really grab me are the basic models like this. Maybe I'm saying I prefer my toys to look like toys. Hyper-realism has its place too though.

Dean-o-mite
Member Avatar
Muscle Car
Very well said atombaum.
As a child of the 80s, the Universal era Matchbox were/are the cats pajamas for me. For example, I prefer the Matchbox Testarossa to the refined Kyosho, and if I had to keep just one Testarossa, it would be the Matchbox.

It works best for me as a toy.

Because nostalgia.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Car Of The Day · Next Topic »
Add Reply

May's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations DinoMom for winning May's contest!

June's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations Airborn511 for winning June's contest!