Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Announcements (Updated: November 20, 2017)

Welcome to Swifty's Garage!

Thanks to all of you for making this board what it is today!

Attention new members: We would like to welcome you personally, so please introduce yourself. Click here: INTRODUCTIONS

For all the latest news and announcements, please click here: PA System

Chat Night:
Join other members every Sunday night at 8pm EST to chat!

Chat Room Link: CHAT ROOM

Thank you - The Swifty's Garage Team

This board is best viewed at 1024 x 768 Resolution

Car of the Week:

Hot Wheels 1995 Mazda RX-7

To learn more about the Hot Wheels '95 Mazda RX-7: Click Here
Welcome to Swifty's Garage. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Thank You,
The Swifty's Garage Team

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Swifty's Demo Derby Cars
Topic Started: Dec 8 2008, 01:42 AM (5,849 Views)
Swifty
Member Avatar
Land of Lincoln, Mercury, & Ford
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Car #: 01
Make: Ford
Model: Country Squire (1960)
Brand: Johnny Lightning

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Car #: 9
Model: Galaxie (1965)
Brand: Matchbox

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Car #: 39
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Biscayne (1962)
Brand: Maisto

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Car #: 82
Model: Impala (1985)
Brand: Majorette

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Car #: 151
Model: Crown Victoria (1989)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Car #: 187
Make: Dodge
Model: Diplomat (1983)
Brand: MotorMax

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Car #: 189
Model: Thunderbird (1978)
Brand: MotorMax

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Car #: 271
Make: Lincoln
Model: Continental (1964)
Brand: Hot Wheels

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Car #: 475
Make: Lincoln
Model: Continental (1964)
Brand: Hot Wheels

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Car #: 514
Model: Caprice (1973)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Car #: 727
Model: Caprice (1991)
Brand: Maisto

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Car #: 887
Make: Dodge
Model: Monaco (1974)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Car #: 888
Make: Checker
Model: Marathon (1981)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Car #: 1116
Make: Cadillac
Model: Sedan DeVille (1969)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Tony-tit
Member Avatar
Granny Basher
well after what u said in your pm im plesantly suprised at the amount you have just posted they all look AWSOME mate loving the gen rally estate :D:D seena couple of cars painted like that in the uk to be raced but never an estate top dollar :P

craftymore
Member Avatar
Support your local demo derby.

Lol at the 'Crafts n More' roundback! My favorite has to be the Nuthouse Marathon cab. That one looks ready for a true modified derby. :thumbup: Looks great with the tall ride height. The DOH themed Ford wagon is a nice tribute. These casting are all pretty realistic representations of good derby cars too. I've seen all but the '62 Chevy and '65 Ford run in derbies in the last 10 years. The damage on the Lincoln is cool too, I know messing with that casting is a pain to begin with cause of the plastic base.

How many more roundbacks do you have on your customs table Swifty? KBs has had a bunch discounted for the 3 for $10 deal for several weeks now. $3.33 sure beats paying $5 or $6 back when these castings were available from OLDs that's for sure.

Need to start stripping some of my own cars and do some more derby style customs.

Thanks for all the great pics. :wave:

Swifty
Member Avatar
I've got about 4 or 5 more wagons in my stash, and you already got a sneak peek on what I'm doing to one of them. A first (as far as I know) in 1/64! ;) I would think more '65 Fords should be on the track. I've seen a few used as junk cars at monster truck rallies in the past five years, and I know how popular the '63-'64 Galaxies are on the demo circuit. The '62 Chevy would be a rare occurance on any demo derby track, as the real cars are probably considered collectors items these days.

As for Crafts & More, I figured if you were driving and had your pick of material, that's what you'd race. ;)

craftymore
Member Avatar
Support your local demo derby.

There's a reason you have seen the '65 Ford getting crushed at monster truck rallies and not at your local derby. The '65-'73 Fords are generally considered the weakest years for Fords in terms of derbies. For the most part they are junk for derbies. Most drivers would prefer '80+ new style cars before these older '65-'73. The frame and suspension are entirely different from the '57-'64 Galaxies. The mid 60s Galaxies, '65+, had smaller frames and a rear coil suspension. The older vintage Fords, '64 and older, had fully boxed in frames and a rear leaf spring suspension. A BIG difference.

Based on what I've seen on the track and reading online, this is the order of toughness for Ford/Lincolns imo.

1.'61-'69 suicide Lincoln Continentals-Super strong front ends, comparable to '67-'73 Imperials. The Imperial of Fords.
2. '57-'64 Galaxy wagon, the frames on the '57-'59 and '60-'64 are pretty similar. All have really strong rear ends. About as strong in the rear as '66 and older Imperials.
3. '57-'64 sedans, same concept as the wagons frame wise
4. '74-'78 LTDs & Grand Marquis sedans-Really strong front ends esp with bumper swap to a shocker style bumper. Pointy '76-'78 New Yorker bumpers are the best.
5. '77-79 Mark V Lincolns
6.'90-'97 Lincoln Town Car-Came from the factory with plates in the rear humps.
7. '89-91 Crown Vics with a HD cop frame. Drivers often will cut the crush boxes near the firewall and then re weld the frame back together. This is called 'tilting'. This makes the front ends comparable to cars of the mid 70s, in other words really stong! This can be done on virtually all '79-'02 Ford Crown Vics/Grand Marquis.
8. 92-'02 Crown Vic/Grand Marquis
9.'79-'88 Crown Vic/Grand Marquis
10. '65-'73 Fords

For the most part, I'd say the above list to be correct. It could fluctuate depending on the set of rules too. I forgot to put in the '74-'78 Lincolns so they would be grouped with the '74-'78 LTDs. I also left off '58-'60 Lincolns which when leafed are quite strong as well and weigh as much as mid 60s Imperials. Under a set of highly modified rules; full weld, leaf spring conversions, and bumper swap,I'd put them in the middle of the list. Pure stock they aren't all that great and are hard to find to start with.

I'd guess that the late 50s and early 60s Fords have won hundreds on derbies starting in the late 60s all the way up to the 90s. They are still being ran on the west coast where they don't have as much rust. I usually see one or two each year now, but not as much as back in the 90s. Based on the last two years, the '80+ Ford/Lincolns/Mercs will most likely be the next dominant car for full size derbies. I've seen them win in limited and full weld derbies vs. old iron.

NUTHOUSE
Member Avatar
Station Wagon
Wow Swifty! I am glad you are back painting and posting your cars. I love you originality you add to them all. Hope to see more soon!

P.S. Is the NUTHOUSE A8 for trade? :):):):)

Swifty
Member Avatar
NUTHOUSE
Dec 9 2008, 04:09 PM
Wow Swifty! I am glad you are back painting and posting your cars. I love you originality you add to them all. Hope to see more soon!

P.S. Is the NUTHOUSE A8 for trade? :):):):)
Thank you, and I'm hoping to show off more soon too. I have a few others in progress, and a few others sitting on my workbench waiting to be drilled out....

And nope. ;) I want to keep that one for the time being, but I will see about making something else along those lines for you. ;)

SSChevyman
Member Avatar
SUV
Those are awesome. I know all about New Deal Used Cars!!! THat was a great movie!! This is good work and I like.

Swifty
Member Avatar
SSChevyman
Jan 10 2009, 11:07 PM
Those are awesome. I know all about New Deal Used Cars!!! THat was a great movie!! This is good work and I like.
YAY! I'm glad someone got the reference! :thumbup:

"Used Cars" for those who haven't seen it.

SSChevyman
Member Avatar
SUV
Kurt Russell, and the jack russell terrier that wakes up the owner with a funny moment!!!! Marshall Lucky Used cars, we blow the bleep out of high car prices!!!!!!!

Dadvball
Member Avatar
Dadvball
Excellant job on all of them! You can imagine my surprise as I'm slowly scrolling down checking out each one of your cars and all of a sudden I see Dadvball on one. I am honored to make it on one of your customs. Totally cool choice as I'm a Ford guy.

Great job on the damaged Lincoln!
Edited by Dadvball, Jan 14 2009, 05:44 PM.

JustDavid
Member Avatar

In Glendale, there's a car dealer called New Deal Used Cars...they aren't exactly known for having the cream of the crop cars on their lot.

Swifty
Member Avatar
Dadvball
Jan 14 2009, 05:43 PM
Excellant job on all of them! You can imagine my surprise as I'm slowly scrolling down checking out each one of your cars and all of a sudden I see Dadvball on one. I am honored to make it on one of your customs. Totally cool choice as I'm a Ford guy.
Glad you like it! :)

Swifty
Member Avatar
JustDavid
Jan 14 2009, 08:42 PM
In Glendale, there's a car dealer called New Deal Used Cars...they aren't exactly known for having the cream of the crop cars on their lot.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Used_cars

Filmed in Mesa. ;) And the name and lack of quality pre-owned cars are both the same from what you're saying.

dualityz
Member Avatar
Subcompact
all i can say is wow....love the cars...awesome job..

Swifty
Member Avatar
Thank you! :)

gregac124
Member Avatar
Fullsize
dualityz
Feb 17 2012, 10:27 PM
all i can say is wow....love the cars...awesome job..
I agree. I especially love the smashed up Lincoln

funeralxempire
SUV
These are great. I'm glad to see some customs from you. :D

Swifty
Member Avatar
Thank guys! It's been a long time since I did any. Just haven't had the time to work on anything lately. Too many things to do, not enough time to accomplish them all. ;)

funeralxempire
SUV
Swifty
Feb 19 2012, 02:38 AM
Just haven't had the time to work on anything lately. Too many things to do, not enough time to accomplish them all. ;)
C'est la vie. B)

majorette.collector
Member Avatar
Microcar
Swifty

I know it's been a while since you posted those derby cars but I can't help myself so I must ask:
- Do you consider, by any chance, selling this beautiful derby impala from majorette? (if you still have it ofc).

Sorry but would be an honor to have hanging on my wall a customized majorette made by you.
Especially on one of my favorite castings from majorette! The might impala!!

Thanks for the eventual reply.

Best regards!

Mauricio.

Swifty
Member Avatar
I apologize, I never saw this post until now! I still have the Majorette Impala, but Big John was a member here until his passing, and it's a tribute car to him so I want to hold onto it. However, I'd be happy to do another one for you. But first I need to find another of the Majorette Impalas. Fortunately there are two shows coming up later this month and I'll look at both to see if I can find a rough donor car. :D

diomakr
Station Wagon
Great batch of bangers- hate to see 'em get all smashed up...

dualityz
Member Avatar
Subcompact
Swifty
Apr 3 2016, 09:36 PM
I apologize, I never saw this post until now! I still have the Majorette Impala, but Big John was a member here until his passing, and it's a tribute car to him so I want to hold onto it. However, I'd be happy to do another one for you. But first I need to find another of the Majorette Impalas. Fortunately there are two shows coming up later this month and I'll look at both to see if I can find a rough donor car. :D
...i thought that impala car you did was awesome too......if you do have trouble finding an impala.....i have 8 here kicking around....i could send one down to donate if need be...

[IMG][URL=http://s1170.photobucket.com/user/dualityz747/media/demo%20cars/74B87CA5-0D0B-4FAA-A062-A115853DD69B_zpscgfpeyx0.jpg.html]Posted Image[/URL][/IMG]

Swifty
Member Avatar
I may take you up on that! :D Thanks!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Crash Car Raceway: Bangers, Demo Derby Cars, Monster Trucks, Tractor Pullers, Mud Boggers, & More · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

May's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations Mikey 1/64 for winning May's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here

June's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations SnowOwl for winning June's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here