Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Announcements (Updated: October 20, 2017)

Welcome To Swifty's Garage!

Thanks to all of you for making this board what it is today!

Attention new members: We would like to welcome you personally, so please introduce yourself. Click here: INTRODUCTIONS

For all the latest news and announcements, please click here: PA System

Chat Night:
Join other members every Sunday night at 8pm EST to chat!

Chat Room Link: CHAT ROOM

Thank you - The Swifty's Garage Team

This board is best viewed at 1024 x 768 Resolution

Car of the Week:

Greenlight 1965 Lincoln Continental

To learn more about the Greenlight '65 Lincoln Continental: Click Here
Welcome to Swifty's Garage. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Thank You,
The Swifty's Garage Team

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Foxy Fords In Small Scale; Ford Fox Platform In 1/64
Topic Started: Sep 25 2010, 01:08 PM (21,760 Views)
Swifty
Member Avatar
Land of Lincoln, Mercury, & Ford
Ford developed the Fox platform in the 1970s as a response to the 1973 oil embargo. The first Fox vehicles to roll off the assembly line in 1977 were the nondescript Ford Fairmont and Mercury Zephyr. If not for the fact that the Fox platform was so important to Ford, and for the fact that most aftermarket performance parts for the Mustang bolt directly onto the Fairmont, the vehicle would probably be forgotten today. Hot Wheels tooled up a 1981 Fairmont Futura coupe, which is a nice model, but is spoiled by NASCAR styling cues (including rear spoiler, rollbars, and racing interior). This casting was last released in the late 1990s as part of the Sto & Go sets.

The next model released by Ford would be the one that has since become synonymous with the platform, the 1979 Ford Mustang (and Mercury Capri). The all-new Mustang discarded all previous Mustang styling cues and was regarded by Ford and enthusiasts alike as a return to the Mustang’s sporty roots. Being based on compact family car platform was nothing new for the Mustang as the original 1965-1973 Mustangs were Falcon based and the Mustang II was Pinto based. Not surprisingly, the Mustang was the most popular of the Fox vehicles in small scale, and most of the diecast models presented here are Mustangs. The 1979 was very popular among small scale brands with Hot Wheels, Yat Ming, Kidco, Norev, Johnny Lightning, and more deciding this one was worthy of their attention. Of special interest- the Norev model has Mercury Capri taillights.

While its clone was by far more popular, there’s also a lone Mercury Capri in 1/64 as well. In the Scorchers line of 1979, Hot Wheels tooled up the Mercury Capri. Unlike the Scorchers Camaro and Chevrolet Malibu sedan, this model never found its way into the Mainline. While it may be lonely, the Mercury has the distinction of being the first Fox platform car available in 1/64. The Scorchers Capri landed in the toy aisle before the Mainline Turbo Mustang.

The Thunderbird was another long-lasting nameplate for Ford, and the 1977-1979 Thunderbirds had set sales records with their downsized bodies and cheaper price. Ford figured more of the same was in order, and the Thunderbird debuted on the Fox platform in 1980. Sales quickly plummeted as the car was smaller, boxier, and lacked the distinctive style of the previous generation Thunderbird. It was campaigned with some success on the NASCAR circuit and a pair of models of this ‘Bird were offered in stock car guise. Ertl did the car when new in a tie in with the movie “Six Pack” (starring country singer Kenny Rogers as a NASCAR driver). Action later offered the car as part of their history of cars driven by Dale Earnhardt.

The big news for 1982 was the arrival of the convertible model for 1983. All of the US manufactures had discontinued their convertibles after 1976 fearing legislation involving crash testing for rollovers. That legislation never appeared, and by the early 1980s the market for convertibles was unfilled. Chrysler responded by offering a droptop version of the K-Car, while GM’s first new convertible offering since the ‘70s was the Buick Riviera. Ford, meanwhile was in a panic- everyone who knew how to design a working convertible top had either died or retired. Calling back one of their retirees, Ford had the Mustang convertible ready for the 1983 model year. Playart jumped the gun and offered a 1982 Mustang as a convertible. This was among the last Playart castings and is quite hard to find today. Road Champs offered a correct 1983 Mustang convertible (along with the Chrysler LeBaron & Buick Riviera) that came with a pair of tops that could be swapped (top up or top down).

In 1983 the Ford Granada was reskinned and renamed as the Ford LTD. This was the same basic car as the Fairmont but marketed to a more affluent audience as a premium car. Zylmex offered a small scale LTD (often as a police car), and there are no representatives of the Fox Granada (1980-1982) in small scale. The Zylmex tooling was later copied by Golden Wheel.

1983 also saw the complete restyle of the Thunderbird and Mercury Cougar by Jack Telnack, the designer of the 1979 Mustang. Sales rebounded, but did not approach the level of success achieved by the 1977-1979 models. Nicknamed the Aerobird, this generation of Thunderbird led the way on the NASCAR circuit, and General Motors was forced to adopt a “bubbleback” to the Chevrolet Monte Carlo and Pontiac Grand Prix to be competitive. Bill Elliott dominated the 1985 season in an Aerobird, winning 11 of 28 races. Hot Wheels and Yat Ming both offered NASCAR versions of this Thunderbird, while Majorette offered a street version with opening hood and engine detail, while Road Champs offered a street version with opening doors.

1984 debuted the sharp new Lincoln MK VII, the first American car to have composite headlights. Maisto offered a model of this car that is unfortunately the only Lincoln Fox body available in small scale. The only other Lincoln offered on the Fox platform was the 1982-1987 Continental, but no 1/64 example has been offered. The Mark VII would be the last new model to debut on the Fox platform. All future “new” Fox bodies would be refreshes of existing cars.

A new performance model of Mustang was offered in 1984 using the 2.3-liter (“Pinto” motor) turbo that had been available previously in the 1979 Turbo Cobra. Ford’s Special Vehicles Operations went to work on the engine and when they were done the SVO was the fastest (and most expensive) Mustang in the stable. Majorette & Blue Box offered the 1986 SVO model (flush composite headlights instead of the earlier inset ones).

1987 would see refreshed versions of both the Thunderbird and Mustang. The Thunderbird Turbo Coupe was offered by Matchbox in 1987, and Zylmex offered a NASCAR stock car version. Bill Elliott won the 1988 NASCAR Winston Cup championship in a Thunderbird. The Fox Thunderbird was replaced by the all-new MN-12 Thunderbird for 1989.

The Mustang also received a more aerodynamic look for 1987, which it would keep for seven model years. Unlike the 1979 model that was facelifted in 1982, 1983, and 1985, the Mustang would retain the same external styling through the 1993 model year with only very minor tweaks. The reason for this is that in the mid 1980s Ford was planning to replace the Mustang with a Mazda derived front wheel drive car. When word of this leaked out, Mustang fans balked at the idea. Ford quickly renamed that car Probe and it debuted as a 1989 model. That left Ford without anything in the Mustang’s development pipeline, so it soldiered on with the 1987 style until the SN-95 debuted in 1994.

As of 1989 the Mustang was the only Fox body remaining in the lineup and it would remain so through the “end” of the Fox platform in 1993. But was that really the end of the Fox body? Surprise- the Fox platform just wouldn’t die! To save money, the SN-95 Mustang was really a reworked Fox chassis with more modern bodywork. As such, replicas of SN-95 Mustang have been included in this review as well.

The 1994 Mustang marked a return to “retro” looking Mustangs. Just as the 1974 Mustang II had tried to re-imagine the 1965 design, so too did the 1994. Around the same time, a new company called Playing Mantis was making an impact in the small scale diecast world. Things had been stagnant in 1/64 for many years, with Hot Wheels and Matchbox offering just a few new models each year. Then Johnny Lightning exploded onto the scene, bringing along classic muscle cars and chase pieces. Hot Wheels and Matchbox both responded, with all three brands offering new castings of classic and contemporary Mustangs. Other contemporary 1994-1998 Mustangs included offerings from Majorette, Realtoy, and Tootsietoy.

The SN-95 received its major facelift in 1999, and the toy companies once again responded in force. The 1999-2004 Mustang was replicated by Hot Wheels, Matchbox, Johnny Lightning, Maisto, and Welly, among others. Despite rumors to the contrary, the Fox platform officially went extinct in 2004 with the arrival of the 2005 Mustang riding on the S197 (D2C) platform. Current indications from Ford is that the Mustang will retain this platform for the foreseeable future. Will it last as long as the Fox Mustangs did? Only time will tell!

In conclusion, the Fox platform has seen some renewed interest from small scale companies in the last few years, with Hot Wheels and GreenLight both offering a 1987-1993 Mustang into their current ranges. It would seem likely that there will be more Fox bodies in the future. How about the 1983 Mercury Cougar- how has this car been neglected for so long?

1979 Ford Mustang:

Hot Wheels “Turbo Mustang”

Posted Image
Yat Ming #1028 (Pace Car)

Posted Image
Yat Ming #1067 (Turbo Cobra)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Norev (second image shows Capri taillights)

Zylmex
Playart

Posted Image
Johnny Lightning (Pace Car; also issued as a 1982 GT)

Kidco (Pace Car)
Kidco Lock-Ups (Pace Car)
Faie
Rhino
Summer (Zakspeed race car)

1982 Ford Mustang:
Corgi
Hot Wheels (Corgi casting)
Kenner Fast 111s
Zylmex (Pullback)

Posted Image
Uniborn

Matchbox hot rod (modified Kenner Fast 111s casting)
Playart (convertible)

1983 Ford Mustang:

Road Champs (convertible)

Posted Image
Ertl

Welly (Ertl copy)

1984 Ford Mustang SVO:

Hot Wheels

1986 Ford Mustang SVO:

Posted Image
Majorette

Posted Image
Blue Box

Hot Wheels Hot Ones

1987 Ford Mustang:

GreenLight (coupe, hatchback, and 5.0)
Zylmex (5.0 convertible)

1988 Ford Mustang:

Posted Image
Johnny Lightning

1990 Ford Mustang:

Majorette (convertible)
Muscle Machines (5.0 convertible; "Monster Garage" modified into a lawnmower while retaining a stock body)

1992 Ford Mustang:

Posted Image
Hot Wheels

1993 Ford Mustang:

Matchbox Swap-Tops (can be converted from convertible to hatchback)
Maisto (Cobra)
Matchbox (SSP police)

Later SN-95 Ford Mustangs available:

Posted Image
1994 convertible/Pace Car (Matchbox)

1994 coupe & convertible (Majorette)
1994 coupe (Tootsietoy)

Posted Image
1994 coupe (Realtoy)

Posted Image
1994 Boss coupe (Johnny Lightning)

1995 Saleen SCCA race car (Johnny Lightning)
1996 convertible & coupe (Hot Wheels)
1996 coupe (Racing Champions)

Posted Image
1996 coupe (Racing Champions Street Wheels)

SCCA Trans AM race car (Johnny Lightning)
SCCA Trans AM race car (Hot Wheels)
1999 convertible & coupe (Matchbox)

Posted Image
1999 coupe (Hot Wheels)

1999-2001 coupe & convertible (Johnny Lightning)
1999 coupe (Maisto)
1999 coupe (Welly)
1999 coupe (Mega Toys)
1999 coupe (Irwin Toys)
2000 coupe (Road Champs)
2001 coupe (X-Concepts)
2003 convertible (Jada)

1982 Ford Thunderbird:

Ertl (NASCAR stock car)
Action (NASCAR stock car)

1983 Ford Thunderbird:

Hot Wheels “Thunderburner” (NASCAR stock car)

Posted Image
Majorette

Posted Image
Road Champs

Posted Image
Yat Ming (NASCAR stock car)

Posted Image
RCCA (NASCAR stock car)

1987 Ford Thunderbird:

Posted Image
Matchbox

Zylmex (NASCAR stock car)

Other Fox Fords & Mercurys:

1979 Mercury Capri

Hot Wheels Scorchers

Ford Fairmont

Posted Image
1981 Ford Fairmont Futura “Frontrunnin’ Fairmont” (Hot Wheels)

1983-1986 Ford LTD
Zylmex
Golden Wheel

1986 Lincoln MK VII
Maisto

A list of all Fox platform cars offered by Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury:

1978–1983 Ford Fairmont
1978–1983 Mercury Zephyr
1979–1993 Ford Mustang
1979–1986 Mercury Capri
1980–1988 Ford Thunderbird
1980–1988 Mercury Cougar
1980–1981 Ford Durango (Fairmont Futura based Ranchero-style pickup)
1981–1982 Ford Granada
1982–1987 Lincoln Continental
1983–1986 Ford LTD
1983–1986 Mercury Marquis
1984–1992 Lincoln Mark VII
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dean-o-mite
Member Avatar
Pony Car
Hot Wheels Mercury Capri

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dean

Dean-o-mite
Member Avatar
Pony Car
Hot Wheels Mustangs

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dean-o-mite
Member Avatar
Pony Car
More pre-'86 fox Mustang pictures

Zylmex
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Playart
Posted Image

Posted Image

Johnny Lightning
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kidco
Posted Image

Posted Image

Faie
Posted Image

Kenner Fast 111s
Posted Image

Road Champs
Posted Image

Posted Image

Hot Wheels (Corgi casting)
Posted Image

Posted Image

And one more that I haven't been able to identify
Posted Image

Dean-o-mite
Member Avatar
Pony Car
More pictures of post-'86 Mustangs

Majorette
Posted Image

Posted Image

Matchbox
1995 SVT Cobra
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Johnny Lightning
Posted Image

Posted Image

Maisto
1993 SVT Cobra
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Welly
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dean

Dean-o-mite
Member Avatar
Pony Car
Ford LTD II

Zee
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Golden Wheel
Posted Image

Posted Image

Dean

Swifty
Member Avatar
Dean,

THANK YOU for the additonal pictures & information! :)

I think your unidentified Ert copy is a Welly. That's what I have it labeled as in my collection. And I thought the other LTD was a Golden Wheel but wasn't sure- thank you for the confirmation. I see one (Maisto '93 Cobra) I forgot about and one (Faie) I have mislabeled. I'll make the corrections immediately.

Appreciated very much! :thumbup:

Stangfreak
Member Avatar
SUV
WOW !!! What a thread... This is great...
Here's a few of my contributions, not only fox bodies, but just plain "FOXY" all the way !!!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Edited by Stangfreak, Oct 5 2010, 07:10 AM.

Dean-o-mite
Member Avatar
Pony Car
Found one more...'82 T-Top by Zylmex (pullback, from the same series as the Ford EXP)

Posted Image

Dean

Dean-o-mite
Member Avatar
Pony Car
HW Ford Fairmont variations I just photographed...

Posted Image

And I just read that one of these may be in Swifty's future....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Swifty
Member Avatar
I even have that Zylmex pullback and I totally forgot about it! I've added it to the list- thank you!

old442dude
Member Avatar
Midsize
blue box made in macauPosted Image

Swifty
Member Avatar
Added to the list! Thanks Eric!

Dean-o-mite
Member Avatar
Pony Car
Oh wow! That Blue-Box looks so cool. That's one I never knew about!

Dean

Sak
Member Avatar
Ezekiel 25:17
Nice selection!

Dean-o-mite
Member Avatar
Pony Car
In searching through my pictures for another Mustang thread, I found these pictures, which belong here....

Jada - 2003 Mustang GT Convertible
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Irwin Toys (plastic copy of the Matchbox casting) - 1999 Mustang GT
Posted Image

Mega Toys (copy of the Maisto casting) - 1999 Mustang GT
Posted Image

Posted Image

Rhino - 1979 Mustang Turbo
Posted Image

Racing Champions - 1996 Mustang SVT Cobra
Posted Image

Posted Image

TootsieToy - 1994 Mustang GT
Posted Image

Dean

Dean-o-mite
Member Avatar
Pony Car
This took me longer than I wanted, but here are pictures of the X-Concepts 2001 Ford Mustang GT. This casting was only available in one of the model kit sets, which also included a 1/43 Mustang in the same color.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Swifty
Member Avatar
And that goes on the Grails list. Thanks for the pics!

THECHEVYGUY
Member Avatar
the chevy guy
speaking of foxy fords wasnt the fairmont fox based? and didnt hw make a fairmont??

craftymore
Member Avatar
Support your local demo derby.

^ Yes and yes.^

HWs made a front running Fairmont two door circle track race car.

http://hotwheels.wikia.com/wiki/Front_Runnin'_Fairmont

Dean-o-mite
Member Avatar
Pony Car
Dean-O-mite
Oct 8 2010, 03:42 AM
HW Ford Fairmont variations I just photographed...

Posted Image

And I just read that one of these may be in Swifty's future....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dean
The Fairmont was included in Swiftys article on the first page, as were pics of the Hot Wheels casting.

Swifty
Member Avatar
Swifty
Sep 25 2010, 01:08 PM
Ford developed the Fox platform in the 1970s as a response to the 1973 oil embargo. The first Fox vehicles to roll off the assembly line in 1977 were the nondescript Ford Fairmont and Mercury Zephyr. If not for the fact that the Fox platform was so important to Ford, and for the fact that most aftermarket performance parts for the Mustang bolt directly onto the Fairmont, the vehicle would probably be forgotten today. Hot Wheels tooled up a 1981 Fairmont Futura coupe, which is a nice model, but is spoiled by NASCAR styling cues (including rear spoiler, rollbars, and racing interior). This casting was last released in the late 1990s as part of the Sto & Go sets.

Posted Image
1981 Ford Fairmont Futura “Frontrunnin’ Fairmont” (Hot Wheels)

A list of all Fox platform cars offered by Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury:

1978–1983 Ford Fairmont
1978–1983 Mercury Zephyr
1979–1993 Ford Mustang
1979–1986 Mercury Capri
1980–1988 Ford Thunderbird
1980–1988 Mercury Cougar
1980–1981 Ford Durango (Fairmont Futura based Ranchero-style pickup)
1981–1982 Ford Granada
1982–1987 Lincoln Continental
1983–1986 Ford LTD
1983–1986 Mercury Marquis
1984–1992 Lincoln Mark VII
I mentioned the Fairmont in the second sentence, and included a picture of one in my original post... Not sure why this question about the Fairmont was even asked?

Harvestman
Member Avatar
Captain Slow
Here's one I bet most of you don't have in your collections: HWs' silver version of the Corgi casting. This was released with 4 other former Corgis (one of which was the Sierra in the foreground) with a small backpack in 1997. The pack was sold at airports and possibly Wal-Mart.

Posted Image

Swifty
Member Avatar
HarvestmanMan
Aug 25 2011, 07:47 PM
Here's one I bet most of you don't have in your collections: HWs' silver version of the Corgi casting. This was released with 4 other former Corgis (one of which was the Sierra in the foreground) with a small backpack in 1997. The pack was sold at airports and possibly Wal-Mart.

Posted Image
I don't have any of those shown in my collection. I don't even have the Ferrari (I actually have no examples of that casting at all, though I do have both Corgi & Hot Wheels versions of the two Fords).

Billy Kingsley
Member Avatar
The Mad Documenter!
It's amazing how many times the Fox Mustang has been tooled up, in all generations.

Here's a Greenlight 1991, a very new addition to my collection.
Posted Image

The funny thing about the Fairmont...of all the cars that were running in NASCAR at that time, the Fairmont is a very odd choice- as only a handfull of teams used it, and it was NOT used in the Winston Cup series- only Busch Grand National. During that time Hot Wheels tooled up several cars that ran in NASCAR, in NASCAR trim, and most of them were never issued as real NASCAR racers- the Fairmont is one of them, but the most obscure in terms of actual NASCAR use.

It was much more popular in ARCA, but even there saw limited usage- and looked significantly different than the NASCAR-spec tooling Hot Wheels created.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Collector's Corner · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

May's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations Mikey 1/64 for winning May's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here

June's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations SnowOwl for winning June's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here