Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Announcements (Updated: October 14, 2014)

www.collector.johnnylightning.com

Welcome To Swifty's Garage!

Thanks to all of you for making this board what it is today!

Chat Night:
Join other members every Sunday night at 8pm EST to chat!

Chat Room: http://swiftysgarage.net/forum/3004218/

For all the latest news and announcements, please click here: PA System

Thank you - The Swifty's Garage Team

This board is best viewed at 1024 x 768 Resolution

Car of the Week:

Husky 1962 Jaguar Mark X

Click Here: Husky '62 Jaguar Mark X
Welcome to Swifty's Garage. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Thank You,
The Swifty's Garage Team

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Mercury Pick Up made in Canada.
Topic Started: May 4 2012, 05:32 PM (825 Views)
daniel60
Member Avatar
Convertible
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Got to pay your dues if you want to sing the blues
and you know it don't come easy

It don't come easy - Ringo Starr

Posted Image
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

pjedsel
Member Avatar
SUV
I am so glad M2 had the courage to make this unique model. I keep wondering how it has sold for them. But I am curious...how many on the board have had the opportunity to see a real Canadian Mercury pickup or a Fargo pickup? Back in my college years I saw a Fargo pickup in Trail, BC and the Mercury I believe I saw stop by when I was in Vancouver, BC for an Edsel show (both of these would have been in the early to mid '70's).
John

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

JustDavid
Member Avatar
SUV
Was this a mainline release? Is it currently available? I'd like to add one to my collection because it's so unique.
:cat: I'm Tator-Zilla and I love toy cars too...they taste like chicken.

pjedsel
Member Avatar
SUV
JustDavid
May 4 2012, 08:48 PM
Was this a mainline release? Is it currently available? I'd like to add one to my collection because it's so unique.
Yes - it is from Auto-thenics trucks release 17.
John

Posted Image

James
Member Avatar
Mr.Bowtie
I see a Fargo truck at least a dozen times over the summer, some guy near here has one....
Posted Image
Maybe I'm the President of the imaginary BWF Classification Committee, Maybe I am not!

NoirGuru
Member Avatar
The All Original Gentleman

This is one of those things that "It's made in Canada" so it was unique.

...As a collectible, where am I to find it in Canada?

In terms of the 1:1, there are definitely a few I've seen. Few at shows, one I know by my parents house.
Posted Image

~Always around your world, do you know where I am?~
~Click here, I put cars everywhere I go! (Instagram)~

juantoo3
Member Avatar
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is a gorgeous and unique piece!

I have heard of Mercury pickup trucks, can't say I have ever knowingly seen one. Wasn't Fargo a Canadian Dodge? I vaguely recall one from when I was a young kid, but that may be my mind playing tricks.
Posted Image

pjedsel
Member Avatar
SUV
juantoo3
May 4 2012, 10:44 PM
This is a gorgeous and unique piece!

I have heard of Mercury pickup trucks, can't say I have ever knowingly seen one. Wasn't Fargo a Canadian Dodge? I vaguely recall one from when I was a young kid, but that may be my mind playing tricks.
:wave: You win the prize Wes - yes Fargo was the Canadian Dodge and the Fargo named was used in other parts of the world as well.
John

Posted Image

Hosspower98
Member Avatar
Forever Blue Oval
You certainly have the knack for excellent photos. I love the Canadian Fords. I am posting a pic if an acquaintance of mine from Oakville, Ontario. He took "Best of Show" at the Buffalo Autorama with his gorgeous '53 M-100. This truck is awesome with a nasty 302 5L to boot. Again thanks for the post!

Posted Image
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 53_M100.jpg (152.25 KB)
Jack

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses. HIT IT!
(Elwood Blues)

Posted ImagePosted Image

...there are car enthusiasts and there are those whose only concern is whether or not their next Camry is beige or metallic silver.

daniel60
Member Avatar
Convertible
Camaro Marty gave me that painter I while back and the Lucky Strikes ad came from an Detail kit on Ebay which still sells today under 1/64 detail kit. Thanks for the complements but my camera does great close up and not at distances. It's just a lucky purchase.

Posted Image

Hosspower98
Member Avatar
Forever Blue Oval
Living i Buffalo, NY, so close to Canada and being as old as I am. I remember when Canadian Fords were called Meteors, the F-1 and F-100s were known as Mercurys, Pontiac called the Bonneville the Parisienne and walleyed pike (yellow pike) they called pickerel. eh? Oh yes, the Dodge Intrepid was badged the Chrysler Intrepid.
An interesting site:

http://www.mercurypickup.com/merc_history.htm

Let's not forget south of the border, where my Ford F-150 Lariat is known as the Lobo.

Posted Image
Attached to this post:
Attachments: lobo_badge.jpg (68.4 KB)
Jack

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses. HIT IT!
(Elwood Blues)

Posted ImagePosted Image

...there are car enthusiasts and there are those whose only concern is whether or not their next Camry is beige or metallic silver.

daniel60
Member Avatar
Convertible
Interesting information man. It's funny I told my Daddy who is born in 1938 about the Mercury Truck and he said there wasn't any. Then he research it and was very surprised. When I was in my teenage years in Germany I seen a lot of German Fords and as a 20ish Soldier stationed in Germany I owned a German Ford Tanus. It had a 4.0 liter V-6 and was good for a 180 clicks on the autobahn. I'm going to see if I can find a picture of it.
Edited by daniel60, May 5 2012, 01:56 PM.

Posted Image

daniel60
Member Avatar
Convertible
This is what mine looked like but it was blue.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hosspower98
Member Avatar
Forever Blue Oval
I spent some time in Germany myself in the '60's, Air Force TDYs at Sembach AB, Ramstein AB and Rhine-Mein AB. The Taunus was way too new for me to see it. My friend had a '58 Chevy Tri-Power 348 back then. We had many wide-open-throttle rides on the Autobahn.
Jack

(Elwood Blues)

Posted ImagePosted Image

accobra64
Member Avatar
Minivan
Way back when, in Canada there were distinct dealers for certain kinds of automobiles and trucks.
For General Motors there were dealers that sold Buick, Pontiac, Cadillac, and GMC trucks.
Other General Motors dealers sold Chevrolet cars and trucks, Oldsmobile, Corvette and maybe something else.
Ford Motor Company had two distinct selling divisions being Mercury and Ford.
Mercury dealers sold Mercury products and trucks while Ford dealers sold Ford products and trucks.
I'm not sure which dealers sold Monarchs, but I think that it was the Ford dealerships.
The same thing applied to Chrysler Corporation with Plymouth dealers selling Plymouth products and Fargo trucks while Dodge dealers sold Dodge automobiles and Dodge trucks.

There is a turquoise blue Mercury truck that I see regularly in my neighbourhood.

Cheers. Cobra
Posted Image

DaWeber
Member Avatar
Station Wagon
Monarchs were first introduced by Ford of Canada as a companion make to be be sold by Mercury Dealers . The arrangement was similar to to Ford / Meteor connection! But don't forget the 67 Acadian which resembled a Chev Nova and was made for the Canadian Pontiac Dealers to sell. M2 Machines has already released a model of this car which is also a nice , but unusual casting . That makes a total of 2 Canadian replicas so far representing cars only available North of the US Border! I hope there are more in the works. And having been in contact with M2's Chief Designer, Sean Taylor , I suspect we may see more of these cars from Canada in the future - at least I hope so!
Dave Weber
VP PA MB Collectors Club

Dragnet_Supporter
Member Avatar
SUV
The Acadian was a car I never heard of until I saw the M2 casting, and was trying to remember the name at CARnival. Dave gave me some history and I grabbed a chase version from KKK. Found a reg. version yesterday. I'll try together some picks this week. Nice casting, essentially a Nova body with some changes I believe to the grill and rear view.
Edited by Dragnet_Supporter, May 6 2012, 11:42 AM.
Posted Image

accobra64
Member Avatar
Minivan
Unique Canadian Pontiac information:

1967 Pontiac Beaumont news, pictures, and information
The Beaumont featured a Chevrolet drive-train and General Motors bodies. They were version of the Chevrolet Chevelle with instrument panels similar to Pontiac GTO's and sold to the Canadian market. Though they were sold through Pontiac dealerships, there is little reference of mention of the nameplate Pontiac in the manual or instruction booklet.

In 1968, only 708 Beaumont SD hardtops were created making it relatively rare and highly collectible. Outfitted with a 396 cubic inch V8 engine, the vehicle produced between 325 and 350 horsepower.

Posted Image

Posted Image

To avoid tariffs imposed by the Canadian government, GM produced some cars with Canadian content that were distinctively Canadian. The big Pontiacs from there looked like Pontiacs but were built on Chevy chassis and had Chevy engines; names were distinctly Canadian, such as Laurentian, Parisienne, and Strato-Chief. Mid-sized cars looked like Chevelles but had Pontiac hallmarks like the split grille; they were called Beaumonts. By 1970, the trade laws were relaxed; the unique Beaumont became superfluous and was discontinued.

Sold by Pontiac dealers starting in 1964, Beaumonts carried their own styling, which was influenced by Pontiac's trademark split grille. The SD (Sport Deluxe, NOT Super Duty) was the high-line version of the Beaumont, which originally started as the high-line Acadian. Sport Deluxes initially included the same engines as the American Chevelle, but starting in 1967, they were analogous to the Chevelle SS396; however, the SD396 didn't offer the 396/375 like its American counterpart.

This car spent its life in Ottawa, Ontario until moving to the Buffalo, NY area a few years ago, where it underwent a six-year restoration. Only 66 SD396 Beaumont convertibles were built in 1967, and none of them were sold new in the United States. Is it a Pontiac? Is it a Chevelle? Ask a Poncho or Chevy fan and you may get a different answer!

To answer the question - it is a Pontiac.

Cheers. Cobra
Posted Image

daniel60
Member Avatar
Convertible
Gosh isn' she just beautiful!!! Great pictures Gerry.

Posted Image

pjedsel
Member Avatar
SUV
Regarding the unique Canadian Pontiac info - I can't resist sharing this story from my college days. I was dating a young woman who still lived at home with her parents. I was to pick her up for our Friday night date. Her father had asked about me to access whether he would approve of me or not - apparently I passed all the questions until it got to the type of car I drove (had my '59 Edsel Ranger in those days). She told her father she wasn't sure - it was an older big white car - maybe a Canadian Pontiac. When he saw what it was...he was not impressed and pretty well told her I was a loser and not worth dating. :( Every time I read something about Canadian Pontiac's it makes me smile...and the good news is - while I never dated here again - I did meet Velma (my wife) and she like "Sir Edward" the Edsel! :D
John

Posted Image

Dragnet_Supporter
Member Avatar
SUV
pjedsel
May 7 2012, 02:14 PM
Regarding the unique Canadian Pontiac info - I can't resist sharing this story from my college days. I was dating a young woman who still lived at home with her parents. I was to pick her up for our Friday night date. Her father had asked about me to access whether he would approve of me or not - apparently I passed all the questions until it got to the type of car I drove (had my '59 Edsel Ranger in those days). She told her father she wasn't sure - it was an older big white car - maybe a Canadian Pontiac. When he saw what it was...he was not impressed and pretty well told her I was a loser and not worth dating. :( Every time I read something about Canadian Pontiac's it makes me smile...and the good news is - while I never dated here again - I did meet Velma (my wife) and she like "Sir Edward" the Edsel! :D
Isn't it interesting the way some folks sum up our entire lives before their eyes? When I was in my teens, I had a friend who I used to hang out with because we both liked comics and liked to draw. When his mother questioned me about my life's ambitions...to be a comic artist, she said I was a loser, and in fact, would never get a job higher than a stock boy at the local retail store, based on my thoughts of the future.

Interestingly enough, i became a comic book artist while her son became so uncertain of making the least decision, based on his mother's disapproval of everything, that he never held a steady job, never got involved in a serious relationship...and the last I heard of him, he was joining some sort of cult that he felt would help him figure out the truths of life.
Posted Image

Lil' '86
Member Avatar
Station Wagon
Posted Image

That's a nice shot, great pic Daniel!!

daniel60
Member Avatar
Convertible
Lil' '86
May 10 2012, 05:28 AM
Posted Image

That's a nice shot, great pic Daniel!!
Thanks man I like complements.

Posted Image

DaWeber
Member Avatar
Station Wagon
Dragnet_Supporter
May 7 2012, 04:45 PM

Interestingly enough, i became a comic book artist while her son became so uncertain of making the least decision, based on his mother's disapproval of everything, that he never held a steady job, never got involved in a serious relationship...and the last I heard of him, he was joining some sort of cult that he felt would help him figure out the truths of life.

I find your occupation very interesting! What comic character books do you draw for?
Dave Weber
VP PA MB Collectors Club

juantoo3
Member Avatar
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was thinking along the same lines!
Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Bay 6: M2 Machines · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

August's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations Hosspower98 for winning August's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here

July's Picture Of The Month Contest

Congratulations funeralxempire for winning July's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here