Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Announcements (Updated: April 22, 2014)

www.collector.johnnylightning.com

Welcome To Swifty's Garage!

Welcome back from the Keystone CARnival, Swifty's Garage members!

Thanks to all of you for making this board what it is today!

Chat Night:
Join other members every Sunday night at 8pm EST to chat!

Chat Room: http://swiftysgarage.net/forum/3004218/

For all the latest news and announcements, please click here: PA System

Thank you - The Swifty's Garage Team

This board is best viewed at 1024 x 768 Resolution

Car of the Week:

Auto World 1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL

Click Here: Auto World '64 Ford Galaxie 500XL
Welcome to Swifty's Garage. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Thank You,
The Swifty's Garage Team

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Kyosho vs AW Showdown: 71 Mach I
Topic Started: Aug 24 2013, 12:34 AM (536 Views)
Atencio
Member Avatar
Midsize
I usually don't post the same info on different forums but since I spent the last hour on this...what the heck.

Those who have read my posts know I am a huge Kyosho fan. Kyosho is my benchmark of quality. I couldn't wait to get a AW car that I could compare to a Kyosho. I really wanted to compare the GT40 but since I got a Mustang today I am going to go with it.

Size
Posted Image

Kyosho 1/64. Any doubt about AW is gone in my opinion. Both cars are essentially the same. The front of the hood on the Kyosho has an indented line. The AW hood is correct. The ram air Nasa hoods look pretty similar; not as well as Biante's but decent. I would think the flat black hood would run up to the windshield. I am guessing the AW having an opening hood maybe played into reason. The front nose of the Kyosho looks a little too flat to me. The Kyosho sports side mirrors. The AW has ram air decals on the hood.

Verdict: AW. I like ram air decals better than mirrors.

Nose
Posted Image

Amber grill lights are very evident on AW. I prefer the headlights on the Kyosho. AW look obviously just painted. The AW horse in grill looks more realistic than Kyosho's. Overall AW grill looks better. Turn signals present on AW. Bumper on AW is chrome. Prefer it painted car color like Kyosho.

Verdict: Draw. Both could use a little tweaking.

Side
Posted Image

Picture a little fuzzy. Rims, no brainer. AW look awesome and tires authentic looking. Mach 1 striping looks far sharper on the AW. Side turn signals sharp on AW, kind of a painted square on the Kyosho.

Verdict: AW. While picture was fuzzy, the view was never in question.

Rear
Posted Image

Lights on the AW looks kind of small; Kyosho look like real lens, I like the size but not the shape. The honeycomb grill looks prefect on the AW with a magnifying glass. The striping on the AW as on the side looks far sharper. Gas caps on both look good. The rear spoilers on both look off to me. The AW looks like it is too high to me and the Kyosho too low. Want the trunk opened? Better not pick the Kyosho, no key lock.

Verdict: Draw. Can't decide.

The bottom
Posted Image

Another slam dunk. Those who like metal get it with AW. Better detail on the AW. Tire size. Those who complain tires on AW are too skinny take a gander on the Kyosho who usually has excellent tire accuracy. Look the same to me.

Verdict: AW

Under the hood
Posted Image

Well another bad picture but really not needed for this test as Kyosho doesn't have an opening hood. Engine detail on the AW is just awesome. At least on my Mustang the hood closes tight with no effort.

Verdict: AW

Overall the AW 71 Mach 1 is a far superior piece compared to the Kyosho. Give me a Boss 351 and 429 Ram Air with maybe no rear wing down the road and I will forgive any shortcomings the car has
Ordinarily he was insane, but he had lucid moments when he was merely stupid.

Posted Image

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Stampede
Member Avatar
Team Canada
I would go with the AW too! Great review, and was the AW Mustang from the Detailed line (mid price point).

Man, I've got to get some of these soon.
Posted Image

Atencio
Member Avatar
Midsize
It was from the top tier line
Thanks for feedback.

Posted Image

jedimario
Member Avatar
RAWR

From these pictures, there are differences but both are very good. I think if the Kyosho had better wheels it could pull ahead for me, and I like have mirrors on my cars. What year was the Kyosho made?

Also, so long as Auto "World" sticks to American cars, Kyosho will be the superior company in my mind. But on a casting-by-casting basis it looks like AW may have the edge, at least in their premium line.
The shadow proves the sunshine...

Atencio
Member Avatar
Midsize
I think the Kyosho came out in 2008

Posted Image

daniel60
Member Avatar
Convertible
Great write up. I was thinking of doing the same thing with the 67 corvette but decided against it being that Johnny Lightning doesn't hold a light against the Auto World version.
Posted Image

From left to right Renee (My only sibling) Kim (Cousin) and Daniel 60 LOL. Car was my Daddy's, a Ford Falcon.

Let's change it back.

Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

realgone58
Member Avatar
Station Wagon
Thanks for your comparison review! It's Auto World for me as well. Mirrors on 1/64 never look right, IMO, it's just too small of a scale. I agree with you, I would love one without the rear wing.

toyotageek
Member Avatar
Fullsize
daniel60
Aug 25 2013, 07:13 AM
Great write up. I was thinking of doing the same thing with the 67 corvette but decided against it being that Johnny Lightning doesn't hold a light against the Auto World version.
You should still do it. ;)
Michael "Toyotageek"
Tomica Fan Club
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

66alfa_gtv
Midsize
I'll take the Autoworld for its opening hood and metal base. I like Kyosho's mirrors, but their models are a bit pricey considering the plastic content and lack of engine.
Posted Image

speedyexpress48
Member Avatar
Magical girl of depression and despair
66alfa_gtv
Aug 25 2013, 03:50 PM
I'll take the Autoworld for its opening hood and metal base. I like Kyosho's mirrors, but their models are a bit pricey considering the plastic content and lack of engine.
Lack of engine is understandable, but I don't get why metal content is so important when buying a diecast (and when it comes to cars like Corvettes, it doesn't even make sense). Hey, just asking :P

Also, I actually do prefer mirrors over the Ram Air decals, because a car without those decals probably isn't rare, while it's hard to imagine a car legally driven without mirrors. But hey, personal preferences.
Edited by speedyexpress48, Aug 25 2013, 09:20 PM.
-speedyexpress48 (swflyboy)

Go Blackhawks!

Once in my dreams, I rose and soared, No matter how I'm knocked around, Or beaten down, I will stand up, restored -lyrics to Connect by ClariS (Miku-tan version)

Remember, Remember, The Fifth Of November-V for Vendetta

Steam/MyAnimeList/AnimeSuki (none are for children)

66alfa_gtv
Midsize
Speedy, I like metal bases because the extra weight feels right. Cars and trucks are heavy things in real life. The sense of scale weight was something I liked as a kid when almost all my cars had metal bases, and I still feel that way today. Weight also adds to the quality feel. Plastic has never really been an aspiration material, unless weight saving is your only objective.
Interesting that you bring up the Corvette! I've often wondered why scale model Corvettes are made from metal when the real things are basically plastic (well, fiberglass.) For me, it's that weight thing again. A real Corvette still weighs a lot, and I like my toys to replicate that. We liked scaled down cars, scaled down engines, scaled down details...why not scaled weight as well?
Edited by 66alfa_gtv, Aug 25 2013, 11:53 PM.
Posted Image

jedimario
Member Avatar
RAWR

My Boxster would weigh 44lbs in 1/64, if the weight was scaled down appropriately. I don't think anyone wants appropriately scaled down weight.

66alfa_gtv
Midsize
It's the perception of scaled-down weight ^_^
Posted Image

jedimario
Member Avatar
RAWR

:P It's a fair point, and metal is certainly better. But I just don't think it's important enough to make a deal out of.

Swifty
Member Avatar
We built this city on rock and roll
Great write-up! I like both but I think Auto World gives you more bang for less bucks...
Posted Image

Swifty's Garage blog: http://swiftysgarage.blogspot.com/

Swifty's Garage DeviantArt group: http://swiftys-garage.deviantart.com/

And introducing the Swifty's Garage Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/369001486480145/

speedyexpress48
Member Avatar
Magical girl of depression and despair
jedimario
Aug 26 2013, 06:15 AM
My Boxster would weigh 44lbs in 1/64, if the weight was scaled down appropriately. I don't think anyone wants appropriately scaled down weight.
Well, with modern science, a fully working, operational 1:64 car scaled down exactly in every way including weight should be possible. Will probably cost more than the 1:1 though. :P
-speedyexpress48 (swflyboy)

Go Blackhawks!

Once in my dreams, I rose and soared, No matter how I'm knocked around, Or beaten down, I will stand up, restored -lyrics to Connect by ClariS (Miku-tan version)

Remember, Remember, The Fifth Of November-V for Vendetta

Steam/MyAnimeList/AnimeSuki (none are for children)

funeralxempire
Minivan
speedyexpress48
Aug 25 2013, 09:19 PM
Lack of engine is understandable, but I don't get why metal content is so important when buying a diecast (and when it comes to cars like Corvettes, it doesn't even make sense). Hey, just asking :P

Also, I actually do prefer mirrors over the Ram Air decals, because a car without those decals probably isn't rare, while it's hard to imagine a car legally driven without mirrors. But hey, personal preferences.
Personally, I'm with you. I don't have any preference for metal bases. In fact, if I'm going to do a wheel swap I prefer a plastic base, less of a pain to extract the wheels from to replace.

JustDavid
Member Avatar
SUV
I agree with Rob in that hopefully Auto World will expand their line up to include non-American cars.
:cat: I'm Tator-Zilla and I love toy cars too...they taste like chicken.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Inspection Station: Reviews · Next Topic »
Add Reply

February's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations Airborn511 for winning February's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here

January's Picture Of The Month Contest

Congratulations 69Stang for winning January's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here