Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Announcements (Updated: October 14, 2014)

www.collector.johnnylightning.com

Welcome To Swifty's Garage!

Thanks to all of you for making this board what it is today!

Chat Night:
Join other members every Sunday night at 8pm EST to chat!

Chat Room: http://swiftysgarage.net/forum/3004218/

For all the latest news and announcements, please click here: PA System

Thank you - The Swifty's Garage Team

This board is best viewed at 1024 x 768 Resolution

Car of the Week:

Husky 1962 Jaguar Mark X

Click Here: Husky '62 Jaguar Mark X
Welcome to Swifty's Garage. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Thank You,
The Swifty's Garage Team

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
What's with the 1186 MJ I NL bases?
Topic Started: Aug 29 2013, 06:56 PM (3,369 Views)
cody6268
Member Avatar
Station Wagon
With both Matchbox and Hot Wheels, in the past couple of years, I've noticed the 1186 MJ I NL bases are getting more common. It used to be on only the occasional model, now it's on every n When I look at the back of the card, this address matches up with Mattel's European headquarters in the Netherlands. This address is also underlined, and in bold; in which the address isn't on cards that contain cars that lack the MJ I NL bases. The base is also different, as certain parts of the base, esp. the model's name and the HW logo may be in a different location or omitted. The cars were purchased on regular cards (not short ones) in the US. Why is this so common, and why is it on non INT models?
Edited by cody6268, Aug 30 2013, 06:34 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

craftymore
Member Avatar

This is past my area of expertise. Perhaps someone can give us a heads up on the situation.
Greenlight, Auto World or M2, please make a '64 Imperial Crown Coupe/Sedan in 1/64.

Thanks. :wave:

juantoo3
Member Avatar
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote:

Mattel Europa, B.V.
Gondel 1
1186 MJ Amstelveen
The Netherlands
3120 503 0503 tel
3120 503 0544 fax

ref: http://corporate.mattel.com/contact-us/

The story as I remember hearing it is that in order to comply with some child safety laws in Europe, corporate contact info is now required on toys sold in that region. I think it was 2011 when Matty started changing over the bases on their models. I seem to recall this was in response to the Chinese lead based paint in children's toys (in particular Sarge from the first batch of "Cars") that led to the new round of child safety laws. I think a batch number to make it easier to recall the product is also a part of the deal.

As for why you are finding this where you are finding it, who knows? My guess is that it is easier to make all the models comply rather than change the line every time you need to box up a batch heading to Europe. For years the rest of the world has been the unwitting recipient of US child safety laws, so now we get to receive the fruits of some other countries' laws, unwittingly!
Posted Image

cody6268
Member Avatar
Station Wagon
juantoo3
Aug 30 2013, 05:27 PM
Quote:

Mattel Europa, B.V.
Gondel 1
1186 MJ Amstelveen
The Netherlands
3120 503 0503 tel
3120 503 0544 fax

The story as I remember hearing it is that in order to comply with some child safety laws in Europe, corporate contact info is now required on toys sold in that region. I think it was 2011 when Matty started changing over the bases on their models. I seem to recall this was in response to the Chinese lead based paint in children's toys (in particular Sarge from the first batch of "Cars") that led to the new round of child safety laws. I think a batch number to make it easier to recall the product is also a part of the deal.

As for why you are finding this where you are finding it, who knows? My guess is that it is easier to make all the models comply rather than change the line every time you need to box up a batch heading to Europe. For years the rest of the world has been the unwitting recipient of US child safety laws, so now we get to receive the fruits of some other countries' laws, unwittingly!
The ones with the base were purchased at various stores around here, from Walmart to local retailers.

The only ones that I have purchased recently that lack the special base are the Matchbox DFW Hazard Squad that was part of the Cliff Hanger Playset, and the Tyrell Six Wheeler from the 2010 New Models (Just bought it from Food City)

juantoo3
Member Avatar
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

cody6268
Aug 31 2013, 12:46 PM
juantoo3
Aug 30 2013, 05:27 PM
Quote:

Mattel Europa, B.V.
Gondel 1
1186 MJ Amstelveen
The Netherlands
3120 503 0503 tel
3120 503 0544 fax

The ones with the base were purchased at various stores around here, from Walmart to local retailers.

The only ones that I have purchased recently that lack the special base are the Matchbox DFW Hazard Squad that was part of the Cliff Hanger Playset, and the Tyrell Six Wheeler from the 2010 New Models (Just bought it from Food City)

Then if you think about it along with what I just wrote, I think you can answer your own question. The Tyrell is from 2010...before the mandate. The playset likely isn't intended for sale in Europe, and possibly has been on the shelf for a year or two by now.
Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Bay 2: Hot Wheels · Next Topic »
Add Reply

August's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations Hosspower98 for winning August's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here

July's Picture Of The Month Contest

Congratulations funeralxempire for winning July's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here