Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Announcements (Updated: January 15, 2018)

Welcome to Swifty's Garage!

Thanks to all of you for making this board what it is today!

Attention new members: We would like to welcome you personally, so please introduce yourself. Click here: INTRODUCTIONS

For all the latest news and announcements, please click here: PA System

Thank you - The Swifty's Garage Team

This board is best viewed at 1024 x 768 Resolution

Car of the Week:

Grell 1971 Audi 100 Coupe S

To learn more about the Grell '71 Audi 100 Coupe S: Click Here
Welcome to Swifty's Garage. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Thank You,
The Swifty's Garage Team

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
2015 Mustang Comparison; Hot Wheels vs Maisto
Topic Started: Sep 15 2014, 12:55 PM (3,391 Views)
jmc_gtr
Member Avatar
Compact
Now that I have gotten the Hot Wheels 2015 Mustang, I can make a comparison with the two side by side.

Lets start with the Hot Wheels, It's what you'd expect from Hot Wheels, good quality from start to finish.
But I have two issues with the Hot Wheels casting.
First the lack of painted details.
Second the upward pointed nose, though not as bad as the Lotus Evora gt4.
All in all, it's a great casting of a very nice car.

The Maisto surprised me the most, normally I'm not that fond of the newer Maisto castings.
I've always thought they looked substandard compared to Hot Wheels, Matchbox and so on.
But this one is very nicely detailed, and has got some nice rims with rubber tires.
My only gripe with the Maisto is it's size, it seems to me that it's closer to 1:55 scale instead of the regular 1:64.

In short I prefer the Hot Wheels version, I just can't get over how big the Maisto is compared to other 1:64 scale cars.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

daniel60
Member Avatar
Muscle Car
All I know is that Mustang is just Awesome!!! Both look great.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Badge109
Compact
The diecasts of the '15 looks great! On the other hand, I still prefer the '13-'14 in person over these so far...

daniel60
Member Avatar
Muscle Car
I have an 05 and she is awesome but if there has to be a change I'm all in favor of this one.

Stampede
Member Avatar
Team Canada
Badge109
Sep 15 2014, 06:24 PM
I still prefer the '13-'14 in person over these so far...
^ This. Some of Ford's redesigning has worked (Escape and Fusion, notably), but others, like this one, don't cut it for me.

Very nice comparison, jmc-gtr! While I'm not that big of a fan of the real car, these examples look good! Thanks for posting.

wall-e
Member Avatar
Station Wagon
Thanx for the comparison. I think I like the HW version better, but it's nice that Maisto included interior detail, for a change. I'd also want to go on the record as liking the '15 Mustang style. I appreciate Ford trying to go in a different direction. I like the '14 Stingray for the same reason. Enough of the 'retro' stuff. Let's let the stylist push the design envelope like they used to.

Badge109
Compact
Stampede
Sep 15 2014, 07:25 PM
Badge109
Sep 15 2014, 06:24 PM
I still prefer the '13-'14 in person over these so far...
^ This. Some of Ford's redesigning has worked (Escape and Fusion, notably), but others, like this one, don't cut it for me.

Very nice comparison, jmc-gtr! While I'm not that big of a fan of the real car, these examples look good! Thanks for posting.
Yeah, my wife has a 2012 Edge. I never would have considered the previous version, but hers is stunning.

Hosspower98
Member Avatar
Forever Blue Oval
I won't even consider HW or Maisto, waiting patiently for Greenlight and AW. Thanks for the comparison though.

jmc_gtr
Member Avatar
Compact
Hosspower98
Sep 17 2014, 03:31 PM
I won't even consider HW or Maisto, waiting patiently for Greenlight and AW. Thanks for the comparison though.
When the autoworld version is released we Will find out which car is closest to true 1:64

Dragnet_Supporter
Member Avatar
SUV
Both are nice. I'm really liking the amount of detail Maisto came up with in spite of the size difference. But like Jack, I'm waiting on the AW which I have a feeling will have the right amount of detail and size--after which a new comparison may need to be made. I do enjoy seeing the different brands side by side. Thanks :)

daniel60
Member Avatar
Muscle Car
jmc_gtr
Sep 18 2014, 04:56 AM
Hosspower98
When the autoworld version is released we Will find out which car is closest to true 1:64
When it's released in 2016. LOL

clem24
Member Avatar
Station Wagon
jmc_gtr
Sep 18 2014, 04:56 AM
Hosspower98
Put a ruler up to the Maisto and Hot Wheels and take a picture. It's not hard to calculate its scale.

mbx64
Member Avatar
Matchbox Collector
Hot Wheels are funny. Sometimes they are just a tad too small, and therefore some of the curves and creases in the model are lost, especially with the thick paint. That seems to be the case with the '15 Mustang. Something is missing.

The Maisto is a good attempt, but the execution is a little lacking. The rubber tires have treads that look like the belong on a rally car and not a sports car. The headlight tampoes are also too crude.

I like the review, and thanks for taking the time to compile it for us!

JayPee
Microcar
I know this topic is a little older, but as I just got some Maisto/Bburago Mustangs, I would like to add a little bit.

The Maisto looks very big compared to the HW. But it's not that the Maisto is too big (it is quite exact 1/64), the HW is way too small. If you take both cars in your hand, the Maisto shows way more details and more accurate tampos. Only the headlights look a little better on the HW.

But the worst thing for me on the HW is the missing mirrors. Especially modern cars with integrated mirrors look awful as models without mirrors. That's why I did not even consider buying an AutoWorld '15 Mustang.

The 2015 Mustang Convertible from HW looks much better with its mirrors, but it is too small for 1/64, too.

I like the Maisto/Bburago Casting, although e.g. the Greenlight '15 Charger even more detailed and accurate.

Regards
Jens
Edited by JayPee, Jan 9 2018, 05:36 AM.

webestang64
Member Avatar
Minivan
I like the Masito version better.......more detail, running horse in the grill, headlight tampos look better, driving lights picked out, tailpipes look better, front spoiler in black and molded side mirrors!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
« Previous Topic · Inspection Station: Reviews · Next Topic »
Add Reply

July's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations Huyken for winning July's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here

August's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations DinoMom for winning August's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here