Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Announcements (Updated: June 12, 2018)

Welcome to Swifty's Garage!

Thanks to all of you for making this board what it is today!

Attention new members: We would like to welcome you personally, so please introduce yourself. Click here: INTRODUCTIONS

For all the latest news and announcements, please click here: PA System

Thank you - The Swifty's Garage Team

This board is best viewed at 1024 x 768 Resolution

Car of the Week:

Revell 1977 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

Click Here: Revell '77 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
Welcome to Swifty's Garage. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Thank You,
The Swifty's Garage Team

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Hot Pursuit S15 (minus the Border Patrol Firebird); Series overview
Topic Started: Jun 14 2015, 11:24 PM (1,998 Views)
Stampede
Member Avatar
Team Canada
As time progresses, one cannot help but notice how much of Greenlight's lines have diversified, and as a result, each successive release, no matter the line (be it Hot Pursuit, Black Bandit, etc.) seems to capturing collector interest more and more. Hot on the heels of Hot Pursuit 14 (which was an excellent release, highlighted by the "Ram Law" Dodge Ram (in my opinion)), Greenlight outdid themselves by releasing Hot Pursuit 15 soon after. The Flat Art, and Deco samples did heighten collector anticipation, as it showed a diverse lineup, which consists of the following models: Ram, Bronco, Wrangler, PI Utility, Monaco and the Firebird. This series also featured new departments, such as the Geneva, Illinois, Police, FDNY (new to the Hot Pursuit line), Kansas Highway Patrol, and the United States Border Patrol. One will also notice the debut of the Wrangler and Firebird in police markings and equipment, no doubt a plus.

Posted Image
DSCN8095CROP by Terence, on Flickr

I had originally envisioned buying a sealed case from an online dealer, however, to my surprise, Toys R Us had these five models when I walked in yesterday. See They say paitence is a virtue... for details on yesterday's finds.

Onto the models, over-viewed one by one:

Wilmington, Ohio, Police-Dodge Ram 1500

Posted Image
DSCN8051 by Terence, on Flickr

In my mind, this model was definitely one of the highlights of this particular release. The return of the Wilmington livery is greatly welcomed, and the addition of the running boards on the side just makes this model look that much better.

Just something to keep in mind, the real vehicle:

Posted Image
(photo source: https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7454/12665545263_ee8ff6d8d9.jpg)

Posted Image
DSCN8054 by Terence, on Flickr

After the amazing "Ram Law" version, this Wilmington version does not disappoint. After all, who doesn't love a police Ram?

[Posted Image
DSCN8056 by Terence, on Flickr

A close up with the police tampo:

Posted Image
DSCN8056 by Terence, on Flickr

Although, after comparing the real and scale version, the real model has a paint that looks slightly darker than that of the models. However, the weather conditions in the real photo and my photo setup could be the reason for the difference.

Geneva, Illinois, Police-Jeep Wrangler

The debut of the Wrangler in police colors does not disappoint whatsoever. From my knowledge, Wranglers are not as common as police vehicles, so finding a department that utilizes one must have been a challenge. Greenlight stood up to this challenge and preserved, so here we are:

Posted Image
DSCN8058 by Terence, on Flickr

Oddly enough, the deco sample for this model did not have a lightbar, but a last minute change put this new type of lightbar into use (probably because the real vehicle has a ligthbar). As a result, the model looks that much better.
Here's the real vehicle for reference:

Posted Image

(photo source: https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4150/4994137027_a935632718_b.jpg)

The simple Geneva livery really suits this model well, and Greenlight really paid attention to all the details on this model. From the unit number, to the small Geneva badge behind the rear window, no detail was spared in the making of this model. To top it all off, all the tampos are applied very cleanly.

Posted Image
DSCN8061 by Terence, on Flickr

Posted Image
DSCN8060 by Terence, on Flickr

The rear of the model is also done incredibly well, with the Geneva crest adorning the spare tire cover, just like the real model:

Posted Image
DSCN8062 by Terence, on Flickr

Posted Image
DSCN8065 by Terence, on Flickr

1967 Ford Bronco-New York City Police Department

The Bronco in police colors is a very unique choice, no doubt welcomed by many. With the eye-catching classic black and green scheme of the NYPD, this unit was assigned to the Central Park area.

Posted Image
DSCN8066 by Terence, on Flickr

Interestingly enough, the original flat art images of the Bronco had it depicted with an all-black scheme, not the green and black as we see now. This example of the Bronco is also the first ofits kind in my collection, and it does open up possibilities...

(no online reference available)

Posted Image
DSCN8067 by Terence, on Flickr

The detail on the front part of the vehicle is also well done, with all tampoes on crisply and cleanly. Furthermore, the engine detail is also impressive:

Posted Image
DSCN8068 by Terence, on Flickr

Lastly, the inclusion of the lights on the roof are a nice touch, and they do not seem to be that fragile.

Posted Image
DSCN8070 by Terence, on Flickr

Posted Image
DSCN8069 by Terence, on Flickr

1975 Dodge Monaco-Kansas State Police

Definitely another highlight of this set. The light blue paint really makes this model an eye-catcher, and it's hard to believe that I was uncertain when this model was announced. However, onece I saw this model in person, I knew that it would be the perfect fit for my collection.

Posted Image
DSCN8072 by Terence, on Flickr

The real model, for comparison:
Posted Image

Source: http://riponmenloparkpolicecarshow.com/winners10/restoredpolice19003rd.jpg

This model is actually really massive, and as a result is quite hefty. Just shows how colossal the cars were back then!

Posted Image
DSCN8073 by Terence, on Flickr]

The front and rear of the model are very well done, complete with an accurate license plate (always a plus).

Posted Image
DSCN8077 by Terence, on Flickr]

Posted Image
DSCN8074 by Terence, on Flickr

An interesting part of this model is that the badge on the side is missing a letter, currently spelling "Highwa Patrol". I had a good laugh because of that, but it really doesn't distract from the beauty of this model.

Posted Image
DSCN8075 by Terence, on Flickr

2014 Ford Police Interceptor Utility-The Official Fire Department, City of New York

Posted Image
DSCN8078 by Terence, on Flickr

It's always great to see police models with a fire livery on them. This started in Series 13, with the "Ford Fire Department" livery on the PI Utility, which no doubt led to more open doors, with the Chicago models in the same release. Now, this trend has migrated over to this release, and the FDNY livery, coupled with the "EMS" markings really make this model stand out.

Posted Image
DSCN8080 by Terence, on Flickr

The real vehicle, for comparison:

Posted Image
(Source: Screengrab from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10OA-uWFUbY)

Everything on this model is spot on, and it complements the rest of my FDNY models incredibly well. Although, there are some paint marks on this model, and while I have tried to remove them, I sense the tampoes being rubbed off in the process. As a result, I will be leaving it as-is.

Posted Image
DSCN8081 by Terence, on Flickr

The one thing about this model that I felt could be improved is the lightbar colors. On this example, the lightbar is red and blue (standard police colors) however the real model has red and yellow lights (although in the picture above there are blue lights). Not a big problem, though.

Posted Image
DSCN8082 by Terence, on Flickr

License plates are always a bonus, and this one reads "150 FDNY", which is a neat touch, since 2015 marks the 150th anniversary of the FDNY. No doubt an appropriate tribute!

Posted Image
DSCN8083 by Terence, on Flickr

In conclusion, I have nothing but praise for this release. The models are executed extremely well, and quality is excellent! None of the models in my collection have glaring defects, however I am learning to let go the defects on my other models. After all, they are just toys!

Hopefully the time will come soon for me to add the Border Patrol Firebird to this release. However, if anyone out there has the Firebird in their collection, feel free to add it! But in the meantime, I am incredibly blessed to have the opportunity to add these five models into my collection. Cannot wait for what Hot Pursuit 16 brings!

With that, hope you enjoyed this overview! :wave:
Edited by Stampede, Aug 14 2017, 12:27 AM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

pjedsel
Member Avatar
Muscle Car
Thank you for the pictures and very nice review of the latest Hot Pursuit models from GL. I look forward to adding all of them to my collection. I even remember those nice light blue Kansas cruisers from my first trip through Kansas back in the mid '70's.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

carcollector
Member Avatar

Great pics of some very stunning models from GL, thank's for the show ;) :thumbup:

JeepXJLover
Member Avatar
Minivan
Your photos make me regret not getting the Jeep, Bronco and even the Firebird when they were plentiful on the pegs in front of me.

Stampede
Member Avatar
Team Canada
Thanks all for the comments; glad you enjoyed!

JeepXJLover, I'm sure that you will be able to acquire the rest soon. For sure, priorities do have to be made, but your choices of the set are great!

clem24
Member Avatar
Station Wagon
Stampede, as a bonus, the top of the Jeep comes off. At least it does on mine..

Dragnet_Supporter
Member Avatar
SUV
That is one nice set. I am looking forward to getting it at some point myself. Great pics and comparisons.

Eurosport94
Member Avatar
Station Wagon
clem24
Jun 17 2015, 01:26 AM
That's neat! I have been after that one the past couple weeks, Geneva is the town over from where I grew up..and now is the town over from where I work. I see that Jeep puddlin' around town quite often.

Stampede
Member Avatar
Team Canada
clem24
Jun 17 2015, 01:26 AM
That's really interesting...definitely something I might have to try! Thanks for the heads up.

Dragnet, hopefully you'll be able to pick up this set in the near future, as it really is a great release. Thanks for the comments!

Eurosport, that's awesome that you see the real thing drive around! Makes the die-cast version that much more appealing!

accobra64
Member Avatar
Minivan
Stampede, thanks for the very enlightening write-up.
Thanks to your post, I made a special trip to Toys'R'Us last night.
I found the Hot Pursuit set and Motor World series 13.
Actually, I found a whole bunch of Motor World series 13 and the price was $4.99 each plus taxes.
I bought a whole bunch of them (a nice series and definitely a departure from all the residuals of Motor World series 12 still hanging on the pegs of several Walmart stores).
I bought 4 of the Hot Pursuit series 15 castings which had a price of $6.99 plus taxes.
The castings that I purchased were the Dodge Ram truck, Ford Interceptor Utility, blue Dodge Monaco, and Ford Bronco.
I left the Jeep Wrangler and the Pontiac Firebird.
BYW, two Walmarts don't carry the Black Bandit series and the third store is still overloaded with BB release 10.
All three Walmarts have residuals of GL Muscle series 10 and series 11 with mostly being the Ford Mustangs and Chevrolet Camaros.
The Ford Mustangs (yellow and pastel green versions) have turned into serious peg-warmers in large quantities.
Not much else to report.

Cheers. Cobra

mbx64
Member Avatar
Matchbox Collector
Great work on the review. I really like the Wrangler, and I am very impressed that Greenlight developed a brand new lightbar tool for this model. Greenlight really cares about the accuracy of these models, and I am stoked that the quality appears to be back.

The errors on the last batch of GL's that I reviewed (Series 14) were unacceptable for the price, so this improvement will allow me to peruse the GL aisles more often.

diomakr
Station Wagon
Great looking additions- I haven't gotten my set just yet, along with a few extras for custom jobs, but I hope they look as good... thanks for the info & great pix

Stampede
Member Avatar
Team Canada
Thanks for the interest, Cobra, Nicolas and Diomakr!

Cobra, I'm really glad that the TRU you went to had these in stock, and by the sounds of it, our two stores had the exact same releases! The ones you picked up are all worthy choices; congrats!

Nicolas, I agree with your synopsis of Hot Pursuit 14. Hence the reason why I only bought the two models from that release. Fingers crossed that this is a trend that will stay!

Diomakr, looking forward to seeing your customs, as they always look great!

JustMatt
Member Avatar
Passenger
I'll need more than one of the Geneva, Illinois Jeeps for that lightbar!

JustMatt
Member Avatar
Passenger
Love the old Kansas Highway Patrol Dodge Monaco, too!

Stampede
Member Avatar
Team Canada
As luck would have it, a few of my family members walked into my local TRU and saw some Greenlights in stock. A quick phone call later, they walked out with this model! Great to hear that the store seems to have restocked; hopefully this will last!

Without further ado,

1989 Pontiac Firebird-United States Border Patrol

Posted ImageDSCN8751 by Terence, on Flickr

This is the debut of the Firebird casting in police markings and equipment, unless I am mistaken. Honestly speaking, I am more partial to the livery than the car, as I have long hoped for a USBP vehicle in Greenlight's lineup. Hopefully this is just the start, as the USBP employs a wide variety of cars and markings (both past and present) that would fit very well into Greenlight's lineup!

One might assume that this vehicle was a pure 'promotional' or 'show' piece for the USBP, that is, it did not partake in any active duties. However, the following excerpt from SSPcentral.com denotes that this Firebird was part of Project Roadrunner, an active USBP program at the time:

SSPcentral.com

In the early 90's the US Border Patrol Tucson Sector had a program called Project Roadrunner. The purpose of the program was to reduce the number and length of pursuits using vehicles quicker than the traditional police cars at the time. The border patrol purchased a Chevy Z-28 Camaro, SSP Ford Mustang, and a Pontiac Firebird for this project. All three vehicles were equipped with Jetsonic lightbars and a roll cage.

After the program, the Camaro was sold and eventually destroyed. The Firebird now resides at the Border Patrol Museum in El Paso Texas. And the SSP Ford Mustang was last known to be stored at the Border Patrol fleet maintenance garage at the Tucson Sector Headquarters building as of 2010.

Although it was not intended to be a 'show' unit, the sheer uniqueness of the vehicle led to considerable public and media interest, which no doubt improved the agency's relations with the community.

The real vehicle:
Posted Image

(Image taken from http://sspcentral.com/library/images/border_patrol/border_patrol-firebird-1.JPG)

The Greenlight model is very well done, as it features very clean lines and details. The most notable is the inclusion of an accurate Jetsonic lightbar, which greatly adds to the accuracy and authenticity of the model. Quality is also very good, with no major problems regarding the model.

Posted ImageDSCN8752 by Terence, on Flickr

This model features an opening hood, as shown here:

Posted ImageDSCN8753 by Terence, on Flickr

Posted ImageDSCN8754 by Terence, on Flickr

Posted ImageDSCN8755 by Terence, on Flickr

Posted ImageDSCN8756 by Terence, on Flickr

With all the models in this series reviewed, it is safe to say that this might just be one of the best Hot Pursuit releases to date. With a great variety of models and liveries, this set not only appeals to the Emergency collectors, but to any general collector as well.

That said, the upcoming series 16 looks to give this release a run for its money. Keep up the great work, Greenlight!
Edited by Stampede, Aug 13 2017, 01:14 AM.

microbuss
Member Avatar
SUV
cool
I do want a Trans Am someday
But will need to get the tail lights from Australia ugh

Hosspower98
Member Avatar
Forever Blue Oval
Thanks for the review! I would have never guessed it's history and the model's authenticity.

911diecast
Member Avatar
Midsize
Some historical reference for the Bronco.

Posted Image

pjedsel
Member Avatar
Muscle Car
:toy The Border Patrol Firebird is a nice looking car. It is one I will like adding t my collection. Hopefully GL will consider doing some other border Patrol cars down the road.

Stampede
Member Avatar
Team Canada
Thanks for the comments and interest, everyone!

911diecast, thank you very much for the historical reference for the Bronco...definitely a great read and a great addition to the thread!

John, I'm with you for other Border Patrol vehicles! Will be very interesting to see how they compare to my customs!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Bay 4: GreenLight · Next Topic »
Add Reply

September's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations FoolTrottel for winning September's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here

4th quarter 2017's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations guy64 for winning 4th quarter 2017's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here