Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Announcements (Updated: August 22, 2017)

Welcome To Swifty's Garage!

Thanks to all of you for making this board what it is today!

Attention new members: We would like to welcome you personally, so please introduce yourself. Click here: INTRODUCTIONS

For all the latest news and announcements, please click here: PA System

Chat Night:
Join other members every Sunday night at 8pm EST to chat!

Chat Room Link: CHAT ROOM

Thank you - The Swifty's Garage Team

This board is best viewed at 1024 x 768 Resolution

Car of the Week:

Grell's 1967 Trabant 601 DeLuxe Universal

To learn more about the Grell '67 Trabant 601 DeLuxe Universal: Click Here
Welcome to Swifty's Garage. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Thank You,
The Swifty's Garage Team

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Matchbox "Learning Blox" Boxed Models
Topic Started: Aug 1 2016, 05:15 PM (1,009 Views)
circuitspore
Midsize
After seeing the post in the Lamley Blog, I checked out my local Target over lunch and snagged a set:

Posted Image

I'm probably going to bust up this set. I mainly bought it for the Karmann Ghia and the Tow Truck.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

pjedsel
Member Avatar
Pony Car
:toy: Now that looks like a great way for little boys and girls to learn their A, B, C's. :D Let's see A is for Ambulance and let me guess - Z will be for Zamboni. :lol: The set reminds me of when my kids where little - I helped teach them their colors by putting different colors of train cars on my model railroad set and used my NASCAR collection to help them learn their numbers. :D

Douglas
Member Avatar
SUV
I give the designers at Matchbox an A+ for coming up with a great idea to sell more cars. Thanks for showing this, I'll have to check it out, I don't really visit Target that often anymore.

Milton Fox Racing
Member Avatar
SUV
Kudos to whomever thought of the idea! :thumbup:

microbuss
Member Avatar
SUV
so what would X be?
there isn't much that begins with X :lol:

W Gee
Member Avatar
Station Wagon
Saw this listed on Lamley...cool Idea if it sells. Not anything to peak my interest but whats the dirt on the Hydro Cruiser / Yacht. Wheels on the removable water base and boat hull on main casting ?

Brian49
Member Avatar
Station Wagon
microbuss
Aug 1 2016, 07:15 PM
so what would X be?
The new X-Ray truck is in the set!

microbuss
Member Avatar
SUV
Brian49
Aug 1 2016, 09:19 PM
microbuss
so what would X be?
oh B)
what do it look like?

Mark F.
Member Avatar
Minivan
microbuss
Aug 1 2016, 09:45 PM
Brian49
microbuss
so what would X be?
oh B)
what do it look like?
It must be this one: Posted Image It has "X-RAY" written on it.

Douglas
Member Avatar
SUV
I'm curious, the blocks under A B and C look like boxes for the models, is that what the "Blox" are?, and also the package doesn't look large enough to contain all 26 of those "Blox", I wonder of they are packaged flat to be assembled by user.

MKZ
Fullsize
Those will hit the Clearance section in a few months.
Edited by MKZ, Aug 2 2016, 11:17 AM.

circuitspore
Midsize
Douglas
Aug 2 2016, 08:53 AM
I'm curious, the blocks under A B and C look like boxes for the models, is that what the "Blox" are?, and also the package doesn't look large enough to contain all 26 of those "Blox", I wonder of they are packaged flat to be assembled by user.
Yeah, the rest of the boxes are packed flat.

Copcar65
Member Avatar
Subcompact
Mark F.
Aug 2 2016, 06:57 AM
microbuss
Brian49
microbuss
so what would X be?
oh B)
what do it look like?
Interestingly the X-ray truck has "Security Patrol" on the front door and a Maltese cross with "Fire Dept" next to the x-ray tempo. Not too often do you see a Fire Dept Security Patrol.
Edited by Copcar65, Aug 2 2016, 05:41 PM.

b2young
Member Avatar
Sad firefighter
Copcar65
Aug 2 2016, 05:40 PM
Mark F.
Aug 2 2016, 06:57 AM
microbuss
Brian49
microbuss
so what would X be?
oh B)
what do it look like?
Interestingly the X-ray truck has "Security Patrol" on the front door and a Maltese cross with "Fire Dept" next to the x-ray tempo. Not too often do you see a Fire Dept Security Patrol.
It would interest me more if it contained all 2017 new models (plus one or two 'extras')....but while the boxes are sure to be a one-hit wonder, with their unique design and function making them perhaps more "collectable" in the future, I would have no use for this since I have already acquired all I want of the models inside.

Still, I think it is an interesting idea, and shows the Matchbox "team" is or was thinking outside "the box" :rolleyes: .

That X-ray truck ("XCanner", it's called) is the only model in the set I haven't seen/found. You know how "X" sounds like "S" in so many words? Yeah, me neither.....except for the eckssss sound of the letter's name and pronounciation.....say it with me now...."ecksssCanner"......there, wasn't that nice?

Oh, I guess that green convertible (the Karmann Ghia, is it?) isn't in my possession yet.....but (spoiler alert) it's the alphabet-representative for the letter "K"......
Edited by b2young, Aug 2 2016, 07:28 PM.

*RV*
Member Avatar
Subcompact
MKZ
Aug 2 2016, 09:02 AM
Those will hit the Clearance section in a few months.
Well, it took them a year to do it, but I see Target has marked these sets on clearance. It never looked like they ever sold a set every time I looked, although I did buy a set at full price for my grandson. :blush:

(Sorry about resurrecting an old topic. I see most of the pics have since been trashed by PB!) :huh:

pjedsel
Member Avatar
Pony Car
I never did see the sets in the Targets I have been in. Not quit sure what Mattel was thinking with this set but it certainly seemed to be a dud. One of the members here bought the set for certain models and parted out the rest. I took a couple of the emergency vehicles as I thought the boxes would be neat to display but otherwise had no interest in the set.

juantoo3
Member Avatar
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I picked one up on clearance a few weeks back and kept it wrapped and put it away. Yeah, only a couple models interest me, but I figure the novelty may mean something to Mbx collectors down the road. Still wasn't cheap on clearance, so I have no idea what full price was.

DinoMom
Member Avatar
Midsize
So that explains why the X-ray truck exists... I would have preferred them to do an "X" type Jaguar, or a Citroen "X"M...

microbuss
Member Avatar
SUV
well I did get this set on sale for $20 or so
Will find & post a pic later

b2young
Member Avatar
Sad firefighter
An early-adopter, I bought it when new.....$30 plus tax. Wish I had waited for clearance prices....but I fell for the unique boxes and decided I 'needed' it for that reason alone. Would've been better if the liveries were also exclusive. Kinda sorta made up for that price when I bought a case J in ABQ for $20....about $4 less than "retail" before sales tax....

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Bay 3: Matchbox · Next Topic »
Add Reply

March's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations carsdownunder for winning March's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here

April's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations daniel60 for winning April's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here