Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Announcements (Updated: April 25, 2017)

Welcome To Swifty's Garage!

Thanks to all of you for making this board what it is today!

Attention new members: We would like to welcome you personally, so please introduce yourself. Click here: INTRODUCTIONS

For all the latest news and announcements, please click here: PA System

Chat Night:
Join other members every Sunday night at 8pm EST to chat!

Chat Room Link: CHAT ROOM

Thank you - The Swifty's Garage Team

This board is best viewed at 1024 x 768 Resolution

Car of the Week:

Penny's 1964 Lancia Flavia Zagato Sport

Click Here: Penny's 1964 Lancia Flavia Zagato Sport
Welcome to Swifty's Garage. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Thank You,
The Swifty's Garage Team

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
MAJORETTE RETURN TO USA ANNOUNCED
Topic Started: Apr 10 2017, 09:35 AM (5,217 Views)
fleetwoodbrougham
Compact
There is an announcement on Facebook from Majorette United States that Majorette will be returning Stateside this Summer, and more details will follow on May 1. :bangles:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jedimario
Member Avatar
RAWR
https://instagram.com/p/BStNqgZgtv_/

cody6268
Member Avatar
Minivan
Sounds great. I can't wait to see what stores they'll be in--I can't drive two hours to a Toys R' Us or Target regularly. Here's hoping Walmart is one of the retailers.

MKZ
Fullsize
I'm not ready for this, I need a bigger display case!

funeralxempire
SUV
Walmart in Canada carries them, so it's not too far fetched to consider that Wally's might carry them down south too.

microbuss
Member Avatar
Minivan
yay!
I guess the sales at TJ Maxx, Wal-Mart helped out
well they will be expensive I know

JeepXJLover
Member Avatar
Minivan
Posted Image

Douglas
Member Avatar
SUV
Can't wait to get cool new emergency vehicles, I do like their trucks too, but some of them are bigger than 3" now, so I probably will just go for mostly the emergency stuff.

Walmart would be an excellent retailer, but I hope Wally's wouldn't push off Matchbox to make room for Majos, all these stores seemed to cut way down their allotted space for diecast over the years.

Swifty
Member Avatar
Land of Lincoln, Mercury, & Ford
:woot: It's been too long since Majorettes were available at retail in the USA. And I think they've currently got the best lineup for selling here than they've had since the '90s. A lot of American models in the range right now (Mustang, Camaro, Challenger, Ford & Chevy trucks, etc.), and with a decent mix of exotics, a good array of licensed emergency vehicles, and a few quirky French cars I think they're in a much stronger position for a return than Tomica was a few years back. Vive la France!

microbuss
Member Avatar
Minivan
@ Douglas - I did get a construction pack off of Walmart's website

@ Swifty - yeah I has a box & a half of Majorettes & a few I got from 1 drug store here

DinoMom
Member Avatar
Midsize
Well, I'll just have to move to the USA now, you've officially got everything! 😣
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

stretchdog
Midsize
This is great news. I Can stop paying all those eBay markup 😀👍

microbuss
Member Avatar
Minivan
DinoMom
Apr 12 2017, 07:25 AM
Well, I'll just have to move to the USA now, you've officially got everything! 😣
well we don't get Siku here :lol:

pjedsel
Member Avatar
Pony Car
It is good to see that Majorette is coming back - back in the '70's/early '80's they could be found in so many different stores. It will be interesting to see which stores carry them and how they make room for them. I hope they don't do the nonsense of select stores like GL, JL, and others did with only certain Target stores carrying those lines. Kind of interesting to see some of these brands return - by the way Microbuss - years ago you could get Siku in the US at a number of hobby stores. :wave:

MKZ
Fullsize
I doubt anybody but TRU will carry them. Mattel has Walmart and Target on lock.

toyotageek
Member Avatar
Japanese Minicar Maniac
I think this says it all....

Posted Image

from the Majorette United States Facebook page
Attached to this post:
Attachments: MAJOusa01.jpg (55.75 KB)
Edited by toyotageek, Apr 12 2017, 03:11 PM.

Swifty
Member Avatar
DinoMom
Apr 12 2017, 07:25 AM
I think the house next door to me is finally going on the market soon (it's been in the middle of a nasty divorce for the last year and a half). Would love to have you as a neighbor, hint, hint! ;)

ninuxx
Member Avatar
Fullsize
toyotageek
Apr 12 2017, 03:05 PM
I think this says it all....

Posted Image

from the Majorette United States Facebook page
In 2014 TRU was the first big store chain in Germany who nearly sold the whole programm, in 2015 the limited edition series 1 was a TRU exclusive in Germany (and maybe I think whole Europe?)...

So, it makes sense that they expand their business to the US as they are well known from other markets..

b2young
Member Avatar
Sad firefighter
Some Targets here moved all the Matchbox from the "diecast" aisle (where all the HW hundreds of lines reside) over one aisle--it seemed to coincide with the announcement of Majorette's return to the USA. I was hopeful it was a sign of impending Majorette sales at Target.

TRU does 'adjust' the price of diecast above MSRP....so a typical Mbx or HW single costs $1.09 before sales tax. Only grocers charge that much (more likely, MORE) for "$1" diecast around here. Even Fred Meyer (Kroger) only charges a dollar.

But, if TRU will carry a full assortment, including emergency and heavy equipment sets, it's better than nothing. I wonder what the ensuing per-car price will be? I expect price will determine success, more than where it's sold. I also wonder if Walmart will continue to offer Majorette multipacks in their online sales? Or will this deal with TRU make all Majo sales 'exclusive' to TRU?
Edited by b2young, Apr 13 2017, 11:30 AM.

pjedsel
Member Avatar
Pony Car
I wonder though since Marshall's/TJ Maxx had some of the newer Majorette items if more than one retailed will be involved. It still seems strange that they first showed up in those particular stores. Guess we will have to wait and see and hope that more than one retailer will have them.

ninuxx
Member Avatar
Fullsize
b2young
Apr 13 2017, 11:27 AM
But, if TRU will carry a full assortment, including emergency and heavy equipment sets, it's better than nothing. I wonder what the ensuing per-car price will be? I expect price will determine success, more than where it's sold. I also wonder if Walmart will continue to offer Majorette multipacks in their online sales? Or will this deal with TRU make all Majo sales 'exclusive' to TRU?
In Germany the price of Majorette is between Siku and Mattel (HW/MB) ...they cost more than the Mattel stuff because they have more features like suspension or opening parts; they cost less than Siku because they want to compete against them ..and Siku is with 4 to 6 EUR per car far beyond what you call pocket money.

A 6-year-old boy gets 2 EUR (average) pocket money ...thats enough for one car per week with respect to HW/MB (EUR 1.69 - 1.99) and also Majorette (1.99 - 2.99) ...but it is far beyond Siku, where you get nothing below 4 EUR.

Douglas
Member Avatar
SUV
When I started collecting Majos, late 1996 or so, the main source left in my area (central Florida) was a national grocery store chain, the singles were expensive there $1.99, and $4.99 for the 600 series trucks, compared to MBX and HWs at the big box chains for less than a dollar for singles, but I still bought plenty from the grocery, no other source but especially since most of what I'd find there was from the early 1990's, and I of course didn't have any of those since I just started collecting them. :D

Also used to visit up north and go across to Canada, which was Majorette heaven for me, most chains seemed to carry a large variety of their lines, their prices were about the same as Mbx and HWs.

So if TRU sells singles here for $2 or so, that would be what I had often paid 20 years ago, though not sure moms will spend $2 on a toy car, with much cheaper brands nearby......Although.....this competition could be just the thing Mattel needs to see that they can better Mbx features and increase their price on the brand a little, but then the price comparison Niels mentioned for Germany didn't seem to influence Mattel on features, just price.

markkaz
Member Avatar
Fullsize
It will be interesting to see what kind of selection is offered and how often new assortments arrive.
I hope we get the same quality as the rest of the world and not a dollar-sized offering.

I haven't decided how involved I will be yet but at least their cars roll =)
Edited by markkaz, Apr 13 2017, 11:42 PM.

Swifty
Member Avatar
As excited as I am by this, a thought struck me that has me worried.

What concerns me is that most of us flocked to Marshall's to get them as soon as they hit. It's unlikely that Marshall's/TJ Maxx will get more of them in stock, and my concern is that Toys R Us may get stuck with the same assortments we've already purchased. While I'm sure there are many diecast collectors still scrambling to find them, and there will undoubtedly be some sales to parents as well... I'm worried we'll see a Fresh Cherries scenario all over again. When MotorMax first came out with them they flew off the shelves. Repeatedly. Except Walmart kept getting that exact assortment in. After the fourth restock of the same cars in the same colors people stopped buying them. Repaints and new castings continued to disappear quickly, but the pegs were clogged with red Gremlins and yellow Pacers.

Adding to that, I suspect Toys R Us will also be offering these Majorettes at a higher retail price. I really hope this doesn't turn into the Tomica fiasco from a few years ago all over again. I bought most of those... and I think I was the only one, lol.

b2young
Member Avatar
Sad firefighter
It's difficult to believe Majo's will be cheaper here in the states than in Europe. HW/MBx are cheaper here probably because Mattel is a US company.....but Majorette and Siku are "imports", so I'd expect they'll sell for "imported" prices, notwithstanding Marshall's/TJMaxx discounts (since they're basically resellers like overstock dealers....).

We could be pleasantly surprised, but my pessimistic nature tells me TRU will price them with a profit motive rather than a magnanimous "we're gonna give you buyers a good deal" price. Still, the right vehicle at or below M2/GreenLight prices will likely come home with me. You get it where you can get it.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Bay 9: Majorette · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

January's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations Remco_Natrop for winning January's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here

February's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations toyotageek for winning February's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here