Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Announcements (Updated: May 20, 2017)

Welcome To Swifty's Garage!

Thanks to all of you for making this board what it is today!

Attention new members: We would like to welcome you personally, so please introduce yourself. Click here: INTRODUCTIONS

For all the latest news and announcements, please click here: PA System

Chat Night:
Join other members every Sunday night at 8pm EST to chat!

Chat Room Link: CHAT ROOM

Thank you - The Swifty's Garage Team

This board is best viewed at 1024 x 768 Resolution

Car of the Week:

Oxford '78 Princess 2200 HLS & Schuco '68 Opel Commodore GS

Click Here: Princess 2200 & Opel Commodore
Welcome to Swifty's Garage. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Thank You,
The Swifty's Garage Team

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
HW & JL Databases; Available at swiftys?
Topic Started: May 10 2017, 09:42 PM (205 Views)
Milton Fox Racing
Member Avatar
Minivan
coldpopcarls post about STD reminded me that I cant really find any comprehensive database information, links or threads for the HWs and JL line ups.

Are they buried in the back pages somewhere?

No one really talks about them like they do in other bays or to other brands.

Is the premise that they exist elsewhere in the 'innerwebz' the reason for this? (And they do, but I dont really see links to those places either.)

I think wyats (?) is there from JL, but is that being updated for the new releases?

And I use the NCHW club database for HWs primarily now.
Edited by Milton Fox Racing, May 10 2017, 09:43 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Swifty
Member Avatar
Land of Lincoln, Mercury, & Ford
Milton Fox Racing
May 10 2017, 09:42 PM
I think wyats (?) is there from JL, but is that being updated for the new releases?
http://jlcollector.net/sf172a.html

Wyatt's still updating - I haven't even seen this set in stores yet and he's already got it on the site. And as long as JLCollector is up, we'll never add a JL database. We could never do it as comprehensive as his website does. You can flip from seeing all the cars in the release or all the variations of a particular casting, which is something we just don't have the ability to do. We'd end up with a thread with just the variations. He also runs GLCollector.com.

Hot Wheels would be a daunting effort, one that's been covered by others previously (South Texas, Tomart's, etc.). We've never seen the need considering there are (or in the case of ST, were) other resources available. With South Texas gone, there's a need but it's still a lower priority than documenting brands that don't already have sources of information out there.

Milton Fox Racing
Member Avatar
Minivan
I understand what you are saying and agree it would be a daunting task to keep up with.

I guess more of what I am saying is that maybe there should be pinned thread to his web sites in the JL and GL bays.

Not sure which ones to show for Hot Wheels database pin.

But there are many others for Lesney MB that could be included.

I have tried searching for a previous thread on any of these brand databases here at swiftys and none seem to be availalbe.

jedimario
Member Avatar
RAWR
I know HobbyDB is kinda a bad word around here, but it's out there for Hot Wheels and it works.

toyotageek
Member Avatar
Japanese Minicar Maniac
Milton Fox Racing
May 11 2017, 01:33 AM
I understand what you are saying and agree it would be a daunting task to keep up with.

I guess more of what I am saying is that maybe there should be pinned thread to his web sites in the JL and GL bays.

Not sure which ones to show for Hot Wheels database pin.

But there are many others for Lesney MB that could be included.

I have tried searching for a previous thread on any of these brand databases here at swiftys and none seem to be availalbe.
So you're looking for a directory to brand specific sites. :thumbup:

Personally I think it's a good idea. In the past I had such a directory on some of my old websites, however I never could seem to keep them up-to-date.

When we had the old Tomica Fan Club going, we had links to a lot of the Tomica related websites and databases, as well as other brands. Many of them seemed to vanish, just like the Fan Club did, and all that info gone... :(

I guess that's one of those things that is in the hands of a website's owner, if they want to redirect people to the 'competition' (so to speak).

I'd like to see a directory for both other resources, and for online shops - every now and then someone here mentions a 'new' online shop I've never heard about. It wouldn't mean they are being endorsed by Swiftys, but it's good to know what our options are.

Milton Fox Racing
Member Avatar
Minivan
I dont see it as competition if this site doesnt have it and provides a rsource listing to another site that does.

It also seems to be a good fit for swiftys as a database resource.

toyotageek
Member Avatar
Japanese Minicar Maniac
Milton Fox Racing
May 11 2017, 11:35 AM
I dont see it as competition if this site doesnt have it and provides a rsource listing to another site that does.

It also seems to be a good fit for swiftys as a database resource.
I don't see it as competition either, and that's why the quotes and 'so to speak' were included.

In my view, diecast collecting is a community, and rather than be strangers or competitors, information and knowledge should be shared.

Swifty's does a great job at bringing information and providing a place for communication. The database coverage of the many smaller or 'off-brands' is a terrific asset for Swifty's. As for HW, MBX, JL.... I think it would be great if Swifty's could provide links for members wishing to find out about those more 'popular' brands.

BTW, I've felt this way a long time, long before I came to Swifty's ... these are my own personal views, and I was not paid or bribed to write them. :P

Atencio
Member Avatar
Station Wagon
jedimario
May 11 2017, 08:22 AM
I know HobbyDB is kinda a bad word around here, but it's out there for Hot Wheels and it works.
I tried to like it but I ended up feeling like I was doing their work loading up pictures. Wasn't fun.

Swifty
Member Avatar
Land of Lincoln, Mercury, & Ford
We do have a pinned topic for links to other databases:

http://swiftysgarage.net/topic/7419839/

It's in the database section. There used to be more, but we've lost more than just South Texas and the Tomica resources in recent years. The Kyosho/CM's/Biante resource was a devastating loss in particular.

Milton Fox Racing
Member Avatar
Minivan
Okay! Thanks for the direct link. I was able to find it in google search by typing in that exact thread title this time.

I book marked it to find it easier next time.

Has anyone tried to find those Kyosho/CM's/Biante resource pages in the web archive sites yet?

juantoo3
Member Avatar
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Duly noted that the database referral page could stand a refresh. I will attend to it when I get a moment.

As pointed out so many resources, especially for the lesser brands, tend to fall to the side over time. I don't use the links routinely so I don't always know when they are no longer any good.

Probably like most seasoned collectors, I have my favorite sites to visit for research, and it is always an unpleasant surprise when they disappear.

Hosspower98
Member Avatar
Forever Blue Oval
It seems to me, that diecast manufacturers would have comprehensive lists that could be an easy pdf download. These lists could help aid collectors everywhere to finding that lost artifact. An annual update would help too. I know, as a "completist" it would make life easier for me. They have to have libraries full of their releases, otherwise they might produce the same darn Mustang twice.

Hobie-wan
Member Avatar
SUV
Indeed. I'm sure those lists get referenced in official collector type books too that are sanctioned by the manufacturers.

pjedsel
Member Avatar
Pony Car
Hosspower98
May 15 2017, 03:04 PM
It seems to me, that diecast manufacturers would have comprehensive lists that could be an easy pdf download. These lists could help aid collectors everywhere to finding that lost artifact. An annual update would help too. I know, as a "completist" it would make life easier for me. They have to have libraries full of their releases, otherwise they might produce the same darn Mustang twice.
You might be surprised. I know a number of years ago, back before the internet days, I wrote for a couple of small toy car publications. I was doing some research on ERTL models - in particular the series of vans they had made. They could not find any record/reference to the Dodge Van they had made. I was surprised to say the least as I assumed mfg's kept master lists of all the models they had produced. Now think of what it was like to try and create data-bases in those pre-internet days - we tried that as well with limited success - especially on the European brands like Majorette, Schuco, Polistil Penny, etc.

juantoo3
Member Avatar
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If I had known...I had three big binders full of Ertl model list I found at an estate sale, and put them back because they were focused on the large scale banks and such. I didn't look deeply through them to see if the 1/64 were even covered, every page I did see was large scale...and I have enough "stuff" at the house now, so I put them back. I didn't realize casting lists for Ertl were such a scarce commodity.

coldpopcarl
Member Avatar
I live a VW way of life eat breathe sleep dream & was HOME 16 years
here is the LINK to STD South Texas Diecast

I DO not Use any DATABASE , BOOK for Prices -- You can look at SAME exact Piece by 5 different Authors , 3 different Database sites and Most time NOBODY agrees on a PRICE or Average price ---

I use these BOOKS sites for Reference of the cars or DATES , Card Numbers , Changes in Item , Variations IN MASS (((( Every Release is a VARIATION of a casting model )

Many pictures are NOT archived but the DATA is archived - I USE this at least 10-30 Times a week and send it to people phone at least a FEW times a WEEK

STD internet archive
http://web.archive.org/web/20150321044229/http://www.southtexasdiecast.com/hwguide.html#castinglist

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Service Counter · Next Topic »
Add Reply

January's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations Remco_Natrop for winning January's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here

February's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations toyotageek for winning February's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here