Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Announcements (Updated: November 20, 2017)

Welcome to Swifty's Garage!

Thanks to all of you for making this board what it is today!

Attention new members: We would like to welcome you personally, so please introduce yourself. Click here: INTRODUCTIONS

For all the latest news and announcements, please click here: PA System

Chat Night:
Join other members every Sunday night at 8pm EST to chat!

Chat Room Link: CHAT ROOM

Thank you - The Swifty's Garage Team

This board is best viewed at 1024 x 768 Resolution

Car of the Week:

Hot Wheels 1995 Mazda RX-7

To learn more about the Hot Wheels '95 Mazda RX-7: Click Here
Welcome to Swifty's Garage. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Thank You,
The Swifty's Garage Team

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Car Of The Day: May 18, 2017; Racing Champions '86 Buick Regal T-Type
Topic Started: May 18 2017, 09:30 PM (430 Views)
Swifty
Member Avatar
Land of Lincoln, Mercury, & Ford
Posted Image

Today's Car Of The Day is Racing Champions' 1986 Buick Regal T-Type..

Posted Image

Wikipedia

The Buick Regal is an upscale mid-sized automobile that was first introduced by Buick for the 1973 model year. North American production ended in 2004 and began again in 2011. For the 2011 model year, Buick re-introduced the Regal to the North American market, positioned as an upscale sports sedan. Production and sales in China have continued since 1999.

For certain model years between 1973 and 2004, the Regal shared bodies and powertrains with the similar Buick Century. The current model (2011present) is an American built version of the Opel Insignia, known as the Vauxhall Insignia in the UK.

In 1982, the Regal Grand National debuted, which was named for the NASCAR Winston Cup Grand National Series (the "Grand National" term was part of the Cup series nomenclature until 1986). Buick had won the Manufacturers Cup in 1981 and 1982, and wanted to capitalize on its success: "What wins on Sunday, sells on Monday". These 1982 cars were not painted black, which may confuse those not familiar with them. All started out as charcoal gray Regals that were shipped off to a subcontractor for finishing.

Originally intended for a run of 100 units, Cars and Concepts of Brighton, Michigan, retrofitted 215 Regals with the GN package. Most obvious was the light silver gray firemist paint added to each side. Red pinstripes and billboard shadow lettering proclaiming "BUICK" were applied. The wheel opening moldings and rocker panel moldings were blacked out using black vinyl tape. Finally, a front air dam and rear spoiler were installed. On the inside, special "Lear-Siegler" seats were installed. These seats are fully adjustable and were covered with silver brandon cloth with black vinyl inserts. The front seat had Buick's "6" emblem embroidered onto them. To finish it off, a special clock delete plate was added to the instrument panel which contained the yellow and orange "6" logo and the words "GRAND NATIONAL BUICK MOTOR DIVISION.")

The '82 GN came with a naturally aspirated 4.1 L V6 engine with 125 hp (93 kW) at 4000 rpm and 205 lbft (278 Nm) of torque at 2000 rpm. Of the 215 Regal Grand Nationals produced in 1982, at least 35 were based on the Buick Regal Sport Coupe package with the turbocharged 3.8 V6 engine with 175 hp (130 kW) at 4000 rpm and 275 lbft (373 Nm) of torque at 2600 rpm. There were only 2022 Sport Coupes produced in 1982, and the number of cars with both the GN and Sport Coupe packages is estimated to be less than 50.

For 1983, there was no Grand National. The Sport Coupe model was renamed the T-Type; 3732 were produced (190 hp (140 kW) at 1600 rpm and 280 lbft (380 Nm) of torque at 2400 rpm). The T-Type had been used on other Buicks, starting with the Riviera in 1981 (in 1979 and 1980, it was the S Type). The 1983 Regal T-Type featured tube headers, Hydro-Boost II brakes, 200-4R 4-speed overdrive trans and 3.42 rear axle (7.5").

n 1984 the Grand National returned in all black paint. The turbocharged 3.8 L became standard and was refined with sequential fuel injection, distributor-less computer controlled ignition, and boasted 200 hp (150 kW) at 4400 rpm and 300 lbft (407 Nm) of torque at 2400 rpm. Only 5,204 Turbo Regals were produced that year, only 2000 of which were Grand Nationals. Because this was the first year production of the computer controlled Sequential Fuel Injection and Distributor-less ignition, this is often considered the year/model that started the development of the legendary intercooled Grand Nationals. The performance of this package was well ahead of its time and the Little V6 easily kept up with the bigger V8s. Quarter mile (~400 m) performance was listed at 15.9 seconds at stock boost levels of 10 psi (0.69 bar), while for the same year, the Chevrolet Camaro was listed at 17.0 and the Chevrolet Corvette at 15.2 seconds. Soon, performance enthusiasts determined the modifications that worked and the Grand Nationals easily broke into the 13-second territory. All Grand Nationals for this year had the Lear Siegler-made cloth/leather interior which was only available for this year. An estimated 200 of the 1984 Grand Nationals were produced with the T-Top option which makes these the rarest of the Grand Nationals.

In 1986, a modified engine design with air-air intercooling boosted the performance even further to a specified 235HP @ 4000 rpm and 330 lb-ft torque at 2400 rpm. The Grand National (Quantity 5,512) and T-Types (Quantity 2,384) were both produced in 1986. For 1987, performance reached 245 hp (183 kW) and 355 lbft (481 Nm) of torque. Buick dropped the T-Type package for Regal in 1987 and opted for a "T" sport package instead. There were only 7,896 Turbo Regals produced in 1986. In 1987, when Turbo Regals reached their peak in popularity, a total of 27,590 Turbo Regals were produced through December, with those models produced between September and December of that year window stickered as "1987 Buick Grand National" vehicles.

Posted Image

For more information and pictures of the real car, please visit: Buick Regal

Posted Image

Perhaps the greatest American car of the 1980s, the turbo Regals could outrun Mustangs, Camaros, and even Corvettes. In a Buick. With two less cylinders.

This casting originated as a Racing Champions Mint model with separate side mirrors that were extremely fragile. When they retooled it for the Johnny Lightning line the mirrors were thankfully dropped. Even though it's returned to the Racing Champions line... it still has a JL logo on the base.

And since it's unlikely we'll see a modern Buick Regal in small scale unless they bring back the Grand National... I want to take a moment to mention a little trivia fact. The reborn Regal has only eclipsed 30,000 units sold in the USA once since it returned in 2010 (40,144 sold in 2011). The same Regal sold 111,245 in 2014...

...in China. If you've ever wondered why Buick survived, while Pontiac, Oldsmobile, and Saturn were sacrificed... there's your answer. China loves Buicks.

Posted Image
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 0518cotd1.jpg (148.29 KB)
Attachments: 0518cotd2.jpg (152.59 KB)
Attachments: 0518cotd3.jpg (182.12 KB)
Attachments: 0518cotd4.jpg (185.48 KB)
Attachments: 0518cotd5.jpg (171.58 KB)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

craftymore
Member Avatar
Support your local demo derby.

Of the repops that RC has used since their re-launch this looks line one of the better ones. The front and rear tampo work is quite good.

pjedsel
Member Avatar
Pony Car
The original RC Mint Edition series offered a lot of cars that no one else was doing in those days - it is to bad that in an effort for realism with the outside mirrors and such that they were so fragile and broke off easily. It is good to see this basic casting still in use - now by the reborn Racing Champions. The front and rear detail is very nice. :thumbup:
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Hobie-wan
Member Avatar
SUV
Cool car and a cool model.

jedimario
Member Avatar
RAWR
Wow, that actually looks really nice.

chris.p
Compact
These look quite cool now.

They looked a bit chintzy in their time but history has been kind to them. They have a shape that never caught on in Europe.

2 door cars are seen as poverty spec unless they come from BMW, Mercedes or Audi.

Chris

94cadillacfleetwood
Member Avatar
Nothing good ever happens after midnight.
My mum had one of these when I was growing up...took my driving test and got my licence in one of these. So for the nostalgia value alone, this might be my winner this week. Nice to see they brought this back!!

ivantt
Member Avatar
New casting? Quick! Take it apart!
I passed on this one but I'll go back and reconsider when they restock, as I don't believe it will be a quick sellout. I hope I don't regret my original decision, because it really is a nice effort.

Swifty
Member Avatar
Land of Lincoln, Mercury, & Ford
ivantt
May 19 2017, 11:12 PM
I passed on this one but I'll go back and reconsider when they restock, as I don't believe it will be a quick sellout. I hope I don't regret my original decision, because it really is a nice effort.
You've probably got a good chance in all honesty. The pegs were pretty picked over when I got this one. Surprisingly there were two of the Super Bees left, the Plymouth Fury NYPD car (which I also grabbed), and this Buick. The Broncos, of course, were long gone.

funeralxempire
SUV
chris.p
May 19 2017, 11:40 AM
2 door cars are seen as poverty spec unless they come from BMW, Mercedes or Audi.

Chris
What market would that be in? Since here if it's not a coupe it's a bore-door and inherently less desirable.

jurcpa
Fullsize
nice oldy and great amazing car,many thanks for this pictures and treath

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Car Of The Day · Next Topic »
Add Reply

May's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations Mikey 1/64 for winning May's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here

June's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations SnowOwl for winning June's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here