Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Announcements (Updated: July 16, 2017)

Welcome To Swifty's Garage!

Thanks to all of you for making this board what it is today!

Attention new members: We would like to welcome you personally, so please introduce yourself. Click here: INTRODUCTIONS

For all the latest news and announcements, please click here: PA System

Chat Night:
Join other members every Sunday night at 8pm EST to chat!

Chat Room Link: CHAT ROOM

Thank you - The Swifty's Garage Team

This board is best viewed at 1024 x 768 Resolution

Car of the Week:

Johnny Lightning's 2005 Ford Mustang

To learn more about the Johnny Lightning Mustang: Click Here
Welcome to Swifty's Garage. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Thank You,
The Swifty's Garage Team

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Photobucket Hosting
Topic Started: Jun 30 2017, 10:45 PM (572 Views)
jedimario
Member Avatar
RAWR
As many of you have discovered, Photobucket has recently modified their pricing structure and removed third-party hosting abilities from all but their most expensive account type. This change affects all of their existing content, including many thousands of pictures linked here at Swifty's Garage. All Photobucket images belonging to members who are not in the highest pay tier will now appear as this:

Posted Image

Usually here at the Garage, you have a limited amount of time to edit your posts and topics. We are temporarily removing this limit so that you may go back and edit posts affected by Photobucket's change should you wish. Tentatively, this limit will be lifted for one month. During this time, you will be able to go back and change the image links in your posts to new ones that work. We know this will be a tedious process, but we wanted to make it available. Unfortunately, there's not much else we can do.

For discussion on the issue and alternative services, check out this thread.

To recover your images, follow these steps:

1. Locate the post you wish to recover images from.
2. Click the Edit button below the post.
3. Copy the full URL between the IMG brackets.
4. Paste this URL in a new web browser tab or window.
5a. Right click the image you want to keep and click "Save as..." or similar. This will allow you to save the image to your hard drive like any other file.
5b. If you are logged in to Photobucket, there may be a "download" option somewhere on the page. I have forgotten my credentials so I can't check for one.

EDIT: We have several members whos Photobucket accounts are still allowing third party hosting. Not sure of the reason for this, but Photobucket itself claims that this should not be working.
Edited by jedimario, Jul 2 2017, 07:34 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

carsdownunder
Compact
Thanks So much for doing this :thumbup:

I am in the process of changing all my pics over to the imgur.com photo hosting website

Ripa
Member Avatar
Minivan
Good to know. Even though I don't use PB, I used a local image host that was supposed to store the images for forever but it got attacked and the admins didn't have any interest to revive it and it got closed for good - Just need to locate everything I have posted on the Databases.
Edited by Ripa, Jul 3 2017, 03:17 AM.

juantoo3
Member Avatar
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm holding off editing any image files in the database as well, to allow folks to update images there if they so desire. I believe the database is a help to a lot of collectors, so losing images there can be challenging. After awhile, those images that are not updated will have to be deleted, so I want to give everyone an opportunity to repost those images if they want to.

426maxwedgie
Member Avatar
Running in the 90's
I think photobucket is going to lose a lot of users with this move, including myself. I greatly appreciate the heads up on this!

SeberHusky
Member Avatar
Station Wagon
Log into your main Photobucket gallery and click on your albums. You can download each gallery as a RAR file.

b2young
Member Avatar
Sad firefighter
Well, isn't that just "jim-dandy"? Thanks for the explanation and information. (That explains the loss of the "one-click" flash-based IMG Code.....)

I'll do another dump of my PB library to my computer, but I'm wondering, anybody here with thousands and thousands of photos in PB tried uploading them to any other service? I can imagine other sites reacting to this in similar manner, or worse, prohibiting mass uploads of photo libraries from 'new' users/subscribers.

I'm not gonna take the time to find and "replace" the source for all the photos I've "posted" here from PB....I guess they're "history" now, and it's a vanishing history. Too bad, but the old saying is true, "nothing lasts forever".

Sadly, future members and casual viewers to Swifty's will see lots of NOTHING (but text) and "THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICTURES" posts...but of course PB doesn't care if sites like Swifty's suffers because PB's business model wasn't "sustainable". (Says the regular Swifty's member who hasn't contributed a whit of cash money to support Swifty's continued availability....) Too bad we can't download our historical posts from here to our hard drives so that we can figure out what is going to be lost.

I suppose PB figured the expected loss of "subscribers" into their pricing structure....and that's why the pricing is so absurdly high. You gotta REALLY REALLY WANT IT to stay there. I wonder how long PB will survive when the "100 million" members drops to a few thousand.....oh, wait, 3000 members staying and paying would be $1.2million in annual revenue....I guess they'll be fine without us....

I'm on an annual autopay plan to block advertising...but of course, you need to log in to get that ad-free service, and sometimes it takes a long time to log in. This may be the best thing that ever happened.....but I need to remember to cancel that "ad-free" autopayment.
Edited by b2young, Jul 8 2017, 11:14 AM.

jedimario
Member Avatar
RAWR
b2young
Jul 8 2017, 11:05 AM
I can imagine other sites reacting to this in similar manner, or worse, prohibiting mass uploads of photo libraries from 'new' users/subscribers.
Doubtful. All these other services allow mass uploads as the norm.

b2young
Member Avatar
Sad firefighter
jedimario
Jul 8 2017, 12:16 PM
b2young
Jul 8 2017, 11:05 AM
I can imagine other sites reacting to this in similar manner, or worse, prohibiting mass uploads of photo libraries from 'new' users/subscribers.
Doubtful. All these other services allow mass uploads as the norm.
Good, I'll try that with my very tiny Flickr account after I've salvaged my albums from PB.

I also just checked my recent posts here and they're still showing.....but at least one photo--the one of the "Ruskets" cereal box--came from a google search, not my PB account. Maybe we can just check "google" for our own images (I see quite a few of mine from here and PB when searching for models similar to what I'm on the hunt for) and grab the google link/code bypassing PB entirely....at least, until they start recording the voluminous "hits" and delete my account anyway.... :P

poorvanner
Member Avatar
Station Wagon
They sent me a couple emails the other day.
Like this -

Some features on your account will be disabled.
Posted Image
WE NOTICED THAT YOU HAVE BEEN USING
PHOTOBUCKET FOR 3RD PARTY HOSTING*
PLEASE UPGRADE TO A PLUS 500 PLAN.

Oh well. I did not store anything on PB. I only put a copy on Photobucket so that I could post them here.
Every pic is safe and sound on my hard drive. Or backed up on memory sticks. So, if I delete everything there... Oh well.

Now to figure out which other service works the best for me. Imgur or Flickr seems like the 2 I see everyone here talking about.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: linking_overage.jpg (51.25 KB)
Edited by poorvanner, Jul 8 2017, 02:29 PM.

b2young
Member Avatar
Sad firefighter
I should remind folks that, to download your albums from PB to your computer, you now have to "prove you're not a robot", and go through a sometimes very irritating process of selecting various images of "roads" or "street signs" or whatever to be allowed to download your selected "album".....and of course you can only download ONE album at a time, because you have to "select" the album and they don't let you "select" more than one album at a time....*

It can take some time if you select something their algorithm doesn't agree with.....and they throw up a few more images to select....

*I am trying to download an album with ten sub-albums right now. The total number of images in all of the enclosed sub-albums is approximately 600; the "parent" album has less than 200 images. It has been processing for more than an hour now. Processing takes place before the album(s) are "ready" to download. The next attempt I make will have to be tonight, because maybe fewer users will be accessing PB after "normal hours". Perhaps there are others from round the world trying to download their PB libraries at the same time....
Edited by b2young, Jul 8 2017, 04:32 PM.

poorvanner
Member Avatar
Station Wagon
It has always been difficult to get any pics you put onto PB back. That is why I always kept the originals.
It sounds like they are making it even harder.

b2young
Member Avatar
Sad firefighter
poorvanner
Jul 8 2017, 02:40 PM
It has always been difficult to get any pics you put onto PB back. That is why I always kept the originals.
It sounds like they are making it even harder.
I kept the originals too, but the unedited original raw camera images, not organized into the albums I loaded them into in PB.

Pessimist that I am, I can see it taking me years on another photo-sharing site to arrive at the same organization I had achieved in PB, which was still a "work in progress" anyway.

Oh well, I guess it's good I have absolutely NOTHING else to do this summer...... :angry: :rolleyes:

b2young
Member Avatar
Sad firefighter
Almost two-and-a-half hours and still not ready to d/l. Doesn't look like there's a "cancel" request option, either. Guess I'm stuck waiting to see if it can resolve before I go to bed tonight.

Update (12 hours later):
I can get one or two albums downloaded before some error stops the process; I've had to log out, quit the browser, reopen the browser and log back into PB, then do another "captcha" routine for every album. They're really 'sensitive' about "robots" for some reason.....

They really are making getting your own photos off the web site unreasonably difficult. One of my "albums" has, literally, 10 photos in it. I have made 10 attempts this morning to download that one album. It never finishes "resolving" the album far enough to actually download that album.

It's taken several attempts for other albums as well, but at least I was able to get them all the way to my hard drive.

As to the "captcha" gotchas, you'd think if you're logged into your own account, and you're trying to download your own albums in one "sitting", the PB "robot" would figure out that they don't need to "see" if you're a robot every single time you click on another album--or the same album when it doesn't work the first time--it's a pretty dumb system.

I'm definitely quitting PB after this experience. But not before I waste another two or three days trying to re'captcha' my own photographs from the site. I'll bet it will be almost as difficult to delete my albums as it is to save them.....I imagine that, if they're so oppressive about trying to download your own photos, they'll double-down on anyone (even/especially the owner) trying to delete an album. I wonder if PB can/will survive this fiasco?

Update to the update: Now that album that reported there were 10 photos (there are, I just reconfirmed that), says there are only 9 photos in it. They're really messed up over there in Colorado.....wonder what they're smoking?

Update to the update to the update: I canceled the download request for the 10-photo album. I began a new request for the next album in line. That album has 97 photos in it. When the capcha was finished, the download 'process' began....I looked at the library index and now that album is reporting 102 photos.....and in less than two minutes the album is "ready for download".....sheesh!
Edited by b2young, Jul 9 2017, 08:41 AM.

Snowowl
Minivan
Photobucket will not let me view my own photos through my phone now. . .I am in the process of removing ALL my photos and closing my account, my wife has already shut down hers as are my daughters.

iLLest
Member Avatar
Station Wagon
They suck. I have albums on that site that are pretty big and it wont let me download them. I was lucky enough to get some of them off and put on Flickr, but so many people on so many forum are furious over this. They made a very bad choice.

Side note.. Go download adblock plus. If you use google you can find it in the link below. I have used it for years and it really helps kill pop-up ad's and other junk that slows you pc down, and the web pages from loading faster. This is for Google Chrome though. If you need it for Firefox you will need to search their add on page.

This is just a link to where you can download it off Chrome's web store, its free and make sure you get the one at the top of list..

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/adblock%20plus?hl=en
Edited by iLLest, Today, 4:55 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · PA System · Next Topic »
Add Reply

March's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations carsdownunder for winning March's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here

April's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations daniel60 for winning April's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here