Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Announcements (Updated: October 20, 2017)

Welcome To Swifty's Garage!

Thanks to all of you for making this board what it is today!

Attention new members: We would like to welcome you personally, so please introduce yourself. Click here: INTRODUCTIONS

For all the latest news and announcements, please click here: PA System

Chat Night:
Join other members every Sunday night at 8pm EST to chat!

Chat Room Link: CHAT ROOM

Thank you - The Swifty's Garage Team

This board is best viewed at 1024 x 768 Resolution

Car of the Week:

Greenlight 1965 Lincoln Continental

To learn more about the Greenlight '65 Lincoln Continental: Click Here
Welcome to Swifty's Garage. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Thank You,
The Swifty's Garage Team

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Car Of The Day: July 8, 2017; Johnny Lightning '05 Ford Mustang
Topic Started: Jul 7 2017, 10:44 PM (468 Views)
Swifty
Member Avatar
Land of Lincoln, Mercury, & Ford
Posted Image

Today's Car Of The Day is Johnny Lightning's 2005 Ford Mustang.

Posted Image

Wikipedia

The fifth-generation Ford Mustang is a pony car that was manufactured by Ford from 2004 to 2014, at the Flat Rock Assembly Plant in Flat Rock, Michigan. The fifth generation began with the 2005 model year, and received a facelift for the 2010 model year. Originally designed by Sid Ramnarace through late 2001 and finalized in mid-2002, the fifth-generation Mustang's design was previewed by two preproduction concept cars that debuted at the 2003 North American International Auto Show. Development began on the S-197 program in 1999 under chief engineer Hau Thai-Tang, shortly after the 1998 launch of "New Edge" SN-95 facelift. From the second half of 1999, design work commenced under Ford design chief, J Mays, and concluded in July 2002 with the design freeze. There have been several variants of the fifth-generation Ford Mustang that include the Mustang GT/California Special, Shelby Mustang, Bullitt Mustang, and Boss 302 Mustang.

Posted Image

For more information and pictures of the real car, please visit: Ford Mustang

Posted Image

This pretty little pony joined my collection recently thanks to an incredible RAOK from juantoo3 (thanks Wes!). What's seen here is the prototype release of the Modern Muscle 2005 Mustang in Windveil Blue. It sports different wheels than the regular release, and most controversially, it also sports the V6 stripes. Ford denied the stripes, and the car was eventually released without them. Note, however, that the trunk medallion says 'GT' and lacks the pony badge seen on the V6 models.

But there's a story here, and it involves me. Which is why Wes went out of his way to make sure this car ended up in my collection.

I fell in love with the fifth generation Mustang as soon as I saw the pics of it. Starting in the fall of 2004 I started hounding the local Ford dealership for more info on it. In January 2005 I took the plunge and ordered a V6 in Windveil Blue. I took delivery in March and the car was my daily driver for the next two and a half years.

Posted Image

At Auto Fest '06 I was talking with Mac Ragan about the inaccuracies of this tooling. When asked if there was anything that could be done to improve it I suggested tampoing black trim around the edges of the windows (in particular the rear quarter windows). As a thank you, Mac decided to do my car, complete with the V6 stripe and 'SWIFTY' license plate. But Ford denied the stripe, which is specific to the V6 model (of note, in 2005 there was no 'stripe delete' option...believe me, I tried!). What I always found odd was that JL had previously done the casting in Legend Lime model with the V6 stripe, and Ford approved that one:

Posted Image
Picture courtesy JLCollector.net. Thanks Wyatt!

So Mac did the GT in Windveil Blue instead and it was close enough to my car. Especially with the plate. 2007 rolled around and my car started hitting the pegs (I never found one of my car in the wild, though oddly enough, I found the White Lightning of the Aston Martin in the same release - that's right, someone grabbed my Mustang but left a WL sit on the pegs!). Not long after JL released my car I was sitting at a traffic light on my lunch hour when I got rear-ended by a Chevy Astro. Three weeks later I got my car back, but it was never the same. A few weeks after that I decided to trade it in and that's when I ordered my 2008 GT (also in Windveil Blue). I took delivery in October 2007, and that car's been my baby ever since. It's got just under 60,000 miles on it (the V6 had a mere 22,000 when it was slammed into - my rental car replacement for it had 24,000 miles... also, somehow a VW Passat qualifies as an 'equivalent' to a Mustang...).

So in short it's a story of life imitating art imitating life.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wikipedia

Production start-up for the 2005 Mustang was on September 7, 2004, with the first 2005 model rolling off Flat Rock Assembly on September 27, 2004. U.S. market launch and customer delivery began at the end of October 2004, with production ending in late 2008 for the 2009 model. The 20052009 base Mustang was powered by Ford's cast iron block 4.0 L Cologne SOHC V6, replacing the 3.8 L Essex OHV V6 used in 2004 and older models. It produces 210 hp (157 kW) at 5300 rpm and 240 lbft (325 Nm) of torque at 3500 rpm and was mated to a standard Tremec T-5 5-speed manual transmission with Ford's 5R55S 5-speed automatic transmission available as an option. A 3.31:1 final drive ratio is standard with either transmission. In a comparison test with a Pontiac G6 Convertible conducted by Motor Trend magazine, a Mustang V6 convertible equipped with an automatic transmission was able to accelerate from zero to 60 miles per hour (97 km/h) in 7.3 seconds; 1.4 seconds better than the 2006 Pontiac G6 convertible.

The Mustang has a MacPherson-strut front suspension with reverse "L" lower control arms. The rear suspension was a new three-link system with a Panhard Rod that controls the vertical and lateral movements of the axle. This live axle rear suspension, while sacrificing handling, provides the benefits of reduced cost and weight over heavier, more expensive independent rear suspensions. In spite of this, Ford has drawn heavy criticism from the automotive journalism community for the decision to equip the 5th generation Mustang with the live axle system. At a press conference, Ford stated that to include an independent rear suspension would have added $5,000 to the showroom price of the car.

Standard equipment on the 2005 Mustang included power windows, dual power mirrors, power door locks with remote keyless entry, front air bags, AM/FM stereo with CD player, 16-inch painted aluminum wheels, and larger brake discs than the previous generation Mustang with twin-piston calipers in the front. Some of the options available included Ford's MyColor (a color-configurable instrument cluster available as part of the Interior Upgrade Package), brushed aluminum panels (also part of the Interior Upgrade Package), Ford's Shaker 500 (500 watt peak output) or Shaker 1000 (1000 watt peak output) premium audio system with a 6-disc MP3-compatible CD changer, leather seating surfaces, a six-way power adjustable driver seat, and a four-channel anti-lock brake system with traction control (standard on GT models). All Mustang GT and Convertibles came with a rear sway bar with white links during these years; the bar diameter varied with options and was 18 mm, 19 mm, 20 mm, or 22.4 mm. Replacement links from Ford are colored black or oxide coated.

As of 2007, all 2008 Mustangs have seats containing material derived from soy beans, harking back to some of Henry Ford's ideals.

Ford Sync was available on the 2009 model only as a dealer-installed kit.

Several new options and standard features were introduced in the following years, including the Pony Package (2005), a DVD-based GPS navigation system made by Pioneer (2006, late availability), a power passenger seat (2006), heated seats (2006), Sirius Satellite Radio (2006), new flat bottom spoiler for V6 only (2006), standard side airbags (2007), HID headlamps (2007), and ambient interior lighting (2007). The ambient interior lighting package consisted of the installation of electroluminescence that gave the driver the ability to choose various color combinations for the instrument cluster, sound system and climate control displays, as well as light emitting from the top of the front footwells and from beneath the rear seats.

For 2009, Ford introduced a new option called the glass roof. This option ($1,995 at introduction) was in effect a full roof sunroof that splits the difference in price and purpose of the coupe and convertible models.

The Pony Package for the V6 Mustang became available starting in 2006. This option includes an upgraded suspension derived from the Mustang GT, 17-inch wheels with wider tires (originally only available on the GT), a unique grille design with 2 options of fog lamps, a rear deck spoiler, and unique door striping and emblems. Later versions of the pony package also included a stainless-steel exhaust and power driver's seat.

At the 2007 SEMA show in Las Vegas, Ford Custom Accessories introduced the V6 Appearance Package. Among the items were a billet grille, scoops, a spoiler and blackout trim treatments. This package includes an upgraded suspension, additional interior trim, and a grille with foglights. Available in 2008 as a $2,398 option, it was promoted with an additional Power Pack FR1 (an 85 mm Cold Air Intake sourced from the Bullitt, True Dual exhaust with a X-pipe and Bullitt Mufflers, a Pro-Cal Hand held tuner and a Ford Racing Performance oil filter), handling package FR3 (shocks/struts, front and rear anti-rollbars, V6 lowering springs, and a V6 strut tower bar) and a short throw shifter. Available in 2008, the V6 Appearance Package was only available on the V6 Coupe with the Premium Package with either an automatic or manual transmission and only with Grabber Orange, Vapor Silver Metallic, and Dark Candy Apple Red. For 2009 the V6 Appearance Package was offered in Performance White and Black. By 2008, total of 152 V6 Appearance Packages were built and only 96 by 2009.

The Mustang GT featured an all-aluminum 4.6 L 3-valve SOHC Modular V8 with variable camshaft timing and a more rugged Tremec TR-3650 transmission. The engine produces 300 hp (224 kW) @ 5750 rpm and 320 lbft (433 Nm) of torque @ 4500 rpm. The GT model was capable of performing a quarter-mile test in 13.8 seconds @ 99 MPH, with acceleration from zero to 60 MPH in 5.6 seconds. The Mustang GT also came equipped with a limited slip differential complete with the same carbon-fiber clutch discs used in the 2003 to 2004 SVT Cobra and the 2007 Shelby GT500. The differential uses the 31-spline axles and the 8.8 in (224 mm) ring gear. The standard final drive ratio of 2005 and 2006 Mustang GTs with a manual transmission was 3.55:1. Since the 2007 model year, a 3.31:1 ratio final drive was standard with the 3.55:1 gearing available as a factory installed option. Automatic transmission-equipped models of all years come with 3.31:1 ratio.

The Mustang GT features a stiffer, better handling version of the standard suspension, larger 12.4-inch front brake discs (versus the 11.4-inch discs used on V6 Mustangs), standard four-channel ABS with traction control, a two-piece drive shaft, a stainless steel dual exhaust, standard grille-mounted fog lights, and 17-inch wheels with optional 18-inch wheels.

Posted Image
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 0708cotd1.jpg (164.51 KB)
Attachments: 0708cotd2.jpg (154.9 KB)
Attachments: 0708cotd3.jpg (189.1 KB)
Attachments: 0708cotd4.jpg (185.22 KB)
Attachments: 0708cotd5.jpg (127.03 KB)
Attachments: 0708cotd6.jpg (190.37 KB)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

94cadillacfleetwood
Member Avatar
Nothing good ever happens after midnight.
Hey! That is an awesome story. Not everyone has their car made into its very own diecast. Sad to hear about the demise of your baby, but great to hear about how you were able to replace your dream car with a newer version! Also great to hear you are still enjoying it!! :thumbup:

Quick question: Do you get nervous when you see Astro vans in your rearview??? :unsure:

Snowowl
Minivan
Wait a minute. . .You mean this just made car of the day NOW. I would have thought it was COTD back when it first came out. :D :woot: :wave: :toy:
Edited by Snowowl, Jul 8 2017, 06:33 AM.

juantoo3
Member Avatar
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OK then, I suppose I don't need to hold these anymore... :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

pjedsel
Member Avatar
Pony Car
Awesome looking Mustang. I really like the Windveill blue. It is neat that JL did a model of your car right down to the Swifty license plate. I know I had a lot of Mustang's in the day but do not recall having this one in my collection. Thanks also for the background story on the history of the car and why you only had it for a couple of years.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Pegers
Member Avatar
SUV
a stang and its blue so it must be yours.

Swifty
Member Avatar
94cadillacfleetwood
Jul 8 2017, 12:41 AM
Quick question: Do you get nervous when you see Astro vans in your rearview??? :unsure:
Yes, and I have a very funny story about that...

A few years after the incident in question I was about to pull out of a parking lot when I saw an Astro van coming. So I waited for it to pass and got behind it. It made a right turn, and I was headed that way so I followed it...

Then it passed the local recycle place, jammed on the brakes (in the middle of a main street) and I kid you not, it started reversing right towards me.

Ever since then, I fully support rounding up all Astro vans and sending them straight to the crusher. Either they attract the world's worst drivers, or they somehow temporarily eliminate all the brain cells of their drivers as soon as they get behind the wheel...

Swifty
Member Avatar
Snowowl
Jul 8 2017, 03:15 AM
Wait a minute. . .You mean this just made car of the day NOW. I would have thought it was COTD back when it first came out. :D :woot: :wave: :toy:
Because I maintained I'd never run my own car for COTD. And technically, this is the second time I've broken that rule, though this one is more blatant than the first:

http://swiftysgarage.net/topic/6769769/1/

Pictures currently missing due to the whole Photobucket mess. That's a gold WL pre-pro (stripe on one side, no stripe on the other). Since both of these are pre-pros, they've got more to offer than just the standard release, not to mention both were extremely generous RAOKs. And well, I don't own a gold Mustang and that's a GT casting with the V6 stripes, so I guess technically I still haven't run my own car. :angel:

But the official release? I'm not running it.

250 TR
Member Avatar

How cool and extremely generous of Wes! What a neat piece of JL history, Swifty's Garage history and a wonderful RAOK.

atombaum
Member Avatar
The Quest Continues
Classic color scheme! Reminds me of the '66 fastback battery operated model I had as a lad. This example does not sport the supplied decals, but I think it included rocker panel decals similar to the COTD example. Could be wrong on that. This one is not mine. No idea how I let mine slip off my "must have" list when I left the nest. i.e. wish I still had it. I see them at shows, but so far have not felt the urge to backfill.

Posted Image

avalanche man
Member Avatar
avalanches rule
Swifty
Jul 8 2017, 10:21 PM
94cadillacfleetwood

A few years after the incident in question I was about to pull out of a parking lot when I saw an Astro van coming. So I waited for it to pass and got behind it. It made a right turn, and I was headed that way so I followed it...

Then it passed the local recycle place, jammed on the brakes (in the middle of a main street) and I kid you not, it started reversing right towards me.

Ever since then, I fully support rounding up all Astro vans and sending them straight to the crusher. Either they attract the world's worst drivers, or they somehow temporarily eliminate all the brain cells of their drivers as soon as they get behind the wheel...
was the astro that tried to back into you the same one that rear ended you? if so, mabe it was a member who got kicked from the board and wanted revenge. or mabe he just hates mustangs, who knows.

Swifty
Member Avatar
avalanche man
Jul 12 2017, 01:46 AM
was the astro that tried to back into you the same one that rear ended you? if so, mabe it was a member who got kicked from the board and wanted revenge. or mabe he just hates mustangs, who knows.
No, it was another one. I saw the same Astro that got me a few months later. The thing was a complete and total beater by that point - missing a window, etc. Haven't seen it since, so I assume it ended up in the place all Astros belong: the crusher.

And it wasn't a former member of the forum out for revenge (seriously, why would someone be that upset they'd need revenge over toy cars?!?). It was a distracted mother. Her daughter was going 'mommy mommy mommy' and well, that made her mommy run into me.

94cadillacfleetwood
Member Avatar
Nothing good ever happens after midnight.
Swifty
Jul 8 2017, 10:21 PM
94cadillacfleetwood

Personally, I feel that way about minivans in general...my wife always says "Minivan drivers have mini-brains". It must be part of the culture. Just yesterday some easily distracted mom in her Toyota Sienna (or maybe a Honda Odyssey? They all look the same to me.) almost backed into me at the supermarket. I had to lay on the horn before she came within an inch of my drivers door.

Swifty
Member Avatar
I've also noticed minivans tend to drive the fastest on highways...

daniel60
Member Avatar
Muscle Car
Do you still have the chase?

DinoMom
Member Avatar
Midsize
I'm beginning to think buying that 2017 Kia Sedona will get me a bad reputation here...

That story is very cool Swifty. Can I have one? :lol: and can you get JL to do my Edsel? :)

Swifty
Member Avatar
daniel60
Jul 16 2017, 12:43 PM
Do you still have the chase?
Of course! Both of these were gifts - there's no way I'm parting with either of them. :thumbup:

jurcpa
Fullsize
ford mustangs are great from beginning - 2017 ,many thanks and please more ponypower

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
« Previous Topic · Car Of The Day · Next Topic »
Add Reply

May's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations Mikey 1/64 for winning May's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here

June's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations SnowOwl for winning June's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here