Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Announcements (Updated: July 16, 2017)

Welcome To Swifty's Garage!

Thanks to all of you for making this board what it is today!

Attention new members: We would like to welcome you personally, so please introduce yourself. Click here: INTRODUCTIONS

For all the latest news and announcements, please click here: PA System

Chat Night:
Join other members every Sunday night at 8pm EST to chat!

Chat Room Link: CHAT ROOM

Thank you - The Swifty's Garage Team

This board is best viewed at 1024 x 768 Resolution

Car of the Week:

Johnny Lightning's 2005 Ford Mustang

To learn more about the Johnny Lightning Mustang: Click Here
Welcome to Swifty's Garage. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Thank You,
The Swifty's Garage Team

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Truck Of The Day: July 16, 2017; Top Shelf Replica '90 Ford L9000
Topic Started: Jul 16 2017, 10:19 AM (157 Views)
Swifty
Member Avatar
Land of Lincoln, Mercury, & Ford
Posted Image

Top Shelf Replica's 1990 Ford L9000 is the truck for today and comes from craftymore's collection.

Posted Image

Wikipedia.com

The Ford L-Series (also named Ford Louisville or Ford Aeromax) is a range of heavy-duty trucks that were assembled and marketed by Ford between 1970 and 1998. The first dedicated Class 8 truck produced by the company, the L-Series range replaced the N-Series short conventional (derived from the F-Series). Produced as both straight trucks and semitractors, the Ford L-Series encompassed a wide range of models through the Class 7-8 GVWR ratings in medium-duty, severe-service, and vocational applications. The line would become one of the most popular series of trucks Ford ever produced.

Posted Image

Top Shelf Replicas is based out of nearby Ridge Farm, Illinois. They have ag and trucks as their primary focus. This Ford was released in 2016 as both a long haul tractor as shown as well in a flat bed configuration.

Posted Image

Wikipedia.com

The L-Series was produced in the Kentucky Truck Plant near Louisville, Kentucky, which gave rise to the nickname "Louisville Line" trucks[1]; as part of a 1996 redesign, part of the model line officially took on the Louisville nameplate.

Following the sale of the Ford heavy-truck line to Freightliner in 1996, the L-Series was discontinued by Ford at the end of 1998. Freightliner would concurrently take over production of the Ford L-Series, opening its Sterling Trucks subsidiary; the L-Series became the Sterling A-Line, Acterra, and L-Line, remaining in production until 2009 when Sterling Trucks closed operations.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wikipedia.com

Although the L-Series would see few revisions throughout its production, elements of its design would see use in other Ford vehicles. In 1974, the W-Series cabover received a larger grille similar to the chrome version on the L-Series. For 1978, the F-Series/Bronco grille was given a similar eggcrate grille pattern. In the 1980 redesign of the medium-duty F-Series, the hexagonal shape of the grille was carried over; it is a theme used in all Super Duty trucks since their 1999 introduction.

In 1984, the rest of the L-Series became one of the last North American Fords to adopt the Ford Blue Oval; as with the LTL-9000, it was placed above the grille. In 1988, the L-Series changed its grille design from an eggcrate design to that of horizontal chrome bars; the Ford Blue Oval became centered. In addition, rectangular headlights became standard in 1991.

1992 saw the introduction of the set-back front axle version of the LL/LTL-9000, designated the LLS and LTLS-9000, along with the corresponding Aeromax versions that had more aerodynamic bumpers and optional chassis skirting.

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Pegers
SUV
very well done..it's painted like you could hook it up to a UPS trailer and have a matched set.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

pjedsel
Member Avatar
Pony Car
:thumbup: Not a brand I am familiar with - thinking they started up after I pretty much left the farm toy part of collecting. It is a super looking truck - and I peeked at their website. Nice! Very nice! Does he make the products in IL?

craftymore
Member Avatar
Support your local demo derby.

pjedsel
Jul 16 2017, 07:45 PM
:thumbup: Not a brand I am familiar with - thinking they started up after I pretty much left the farm toy part of collecting. It is a super looking truck - and I peeked at their website. Nice! Very nice! Does he make the products in IL?
The very earliest releases might have been though I have no proof of that. All current products from TSR are made in China.

Dean-o-mite
Member Avatar
Pony Car
I would enjoy seeing a picture of this alongside a 1/64 scale car or two, since these aren't available around here for me to see in-hand.

craftymore
Member Avatar

Dean-o-mite
Jul 17 2017, 03:38 AM
I would enjoy seeing a picture of this alongside a 1/64 scale car or two, since these aren't available around here for me to see in-hand.
Sure thing Dean!

The Ford and the '64 Ford Country Squire from AW.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Just for kicks here's the Ford with Greenlight's '86 Fleetwood Bounder
Posted Image

I didn't measure the Ford L9000 but would pretty confidentially assume it's true 1/64. They are available to purchase through various sources online. Diecast Promotions also has a Ford 9000 model in 1/64.

pjedsel
Member Avatar
Pony Car
I am guessing that these would be similar in quality to the trucks from Diecast Promotions and Spec Cast?

craftymore
Member Avatar

pjedsel
Jul 17 2017, 09:46 PM
I am guessing that these would be similar in quality to the trucks from Diecast Promotions and Spec Cast?
That's a fair statement to make. Prices for these models range from $25-$40 at the toys shows I've seen. Diecast Promotions likely has the best quality big rigs in 1/64 with Top Shelf to me ranking in the middle.

Dean-o-mite
Member Avatar
Pony Car
Thank you very much for the bonus pictures! It is definitely impressive in size and would look good in a scaled diorama.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Car Of The Day · Next Topic »
Add Reply

March's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations carsdownunder for winning March's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here

April's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations daniel60 for winning April's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here