Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Announcements (Updated: July 16, 2017)

Welcome To Swifty's Garage!

Thanks to all of you for making this board what it is today!

Attention new members: We would like to welcome you personally, so please introduce yourself. Click here: INTRODUCTIONS

For all the latest news and announcements, please click here: PA System

Chat Night:
Join other members every Sunday night at 8pm EST to chat!

Chat Room Link: CHAT ROOM

Thank you - The Swifty's Garage Team

This board is best viewed at 1024 x 768 Resolution

Car of the Week:

Johnny Lightning's 2005 Ford Mustang

To learn more about the Johnny Lightning Mustang: Click Here
Welcome to Swifty's Garage. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Thank You,
The Swifty's Garage Team

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Mercedes-Benz 380SEL; dog in back seat
Topic Started: Jul 16 2017, 08:01 PM (136 Views)
atombaum
Member Avatar
The Quest Continues
Picked this up today at a flea market. Was studying it, and thought the back seat had an "error" (like an extra glop of plastic). Looked at it from different angles, and then it appeared to be a dog with a German Shepherd profile. Too lazy to check my other examples right now, but do others have this feature? I'm sure it's standard, but I don't recall ever seeing it. I also have a metallic blue example, and may remember seeing the dog with that color and lighter interior. Will investigate.

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Hot Wheels
Midsize
That's very cool! I so want one!

426maxwedgie
Member Avatar
Running in the 90's
Yes, this is standard for the casting. I have quite a few examples of this. My 1997 Showroom Specials 5 pack actually has a "fun fact" on the top telling you to look for the pet in the back of the 380 SEL.

pjedsel
Member Avatar
Pony Car
How embarrassing :rolleyes: all the years I had that casting in my collection and I never noticed the dog in the back seat. Talk about not observing things. :lol:

Pegers
SUV
it may be the first car alarm.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dean-o-mite
Member Avatar
Pony Car
And now it is time for a public service announcement:
Please don't ever leave your pet in a hot car.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Welly also made the 380 SEL with a dog in the backseat. The dimensions are smaller than the Hot Wheels, but the dog in the back lends credence to the theory that Welly used the Hot Wheels casting as a guide and made a scaled down copy, right down to the German Sheppard in the back seat.

Posted Image

Attached to this post:
Attachments: 1982_MB_380_SEL___mar___HW.jpg (166.99 KB)
Attachments: 1982_MB_380_SEL___sil___HW.jpg (162.94 KB)
Attachments: 1982_MB_380_SEL___stacked___Welly.jpg (158.61 KB)
Attachments: 1982_MB_380_SEL___wht___HW.jpg (140.82 KB)

Ripa
Member Avatar
Minivan
Dean was faster than me pointing out that the Welly, that is at least "heavily inspired" by the HW one has the dog there too.

I like the HW casting, have some versions myself but would like more of course. My favourite version is the one from my childhood, a pink glitterpaint version with UH wheels.

atombaum
Member Avatar
The Quest Continues
Dean-o-mite
Jul 17 2017, 03:31 AM
And now it is time for a public service announcement:
Please don't ever leave your pet in a hot car.

Posted Image

Welly also made the 380 SEL with a dog in the backseat. The dimensions are smaller than the Hot Wheels, but the dog in the back lends credence to the theory that Welly used the Hot Wheels casting as a guide and made a scaled down copy, right down to the German Sheppard in the back seat.

Posted Image

Did you swap the wheels on the first one? Looks great. Re: the "stack" - impressive number of variations! :thumbup: I checked my catalog, and have accumulated six of the dark red metallic examples, and one medium blue metallic example, but that's it. Never saw any others. Nice selection. When I put this one away, will have to note of each wheel type and update the catalog. My latest one obviously has seven spokes, but I think I have some with that "double hamburger patty with bun" style. Is there a better-known name for those? :lol:

atombaum
Member Avatar
The Quest Continues
Pegers
Jul 16 2017, 10:39 PM
it may be the first car alarm.
This makes perfect sense since Mercedes also pioneered the air bag, and ABS. This must be a beta version of the alarm system. :lol:

pjedsel
Member Avatar
Pony Car
Dogs do make good alarms. We had a little mutt who loved to ride in the car - small town so in the summer windows always down - stopped at the grocery store and one of the employees almost dropped the bag of groceries when Magic popped up and started barking at him. :lol: And now I see a Welly police car that I need. :D

Dean-o-mite
Member Avatar
Pony Car
atombaum
Jul 17 2017, 05:13 AM
Did you swap the wheels on the first one? Looks great. Re: the "stack" - impressive number of variations! :thumbup: I checked my catalog, and have accumulated six of the dark red metallic examples, and one medium blue metallic example, but that's it. Never saw any others. Nice selection. When I put this one away, will have to note of each wheel type and update the catalog. My latest one obviously has seven spokes, but I think I have some with that "double hamburger patty with bun" style. Is there a better-known name for those? :lol:
The first one is all original, from the Real Riders series, which came with those "real rubber" tires. It's one of the more expensive variations these days, which stinks extra stinky that it was one of the variations that melted on me.

The hamburger wheels are know as "Ultra Hot" wheels, or just "Ultra Hots" and they are often abbreviated to UH, as Ripa did in his post.

atombaum
Member Avatar
The Quest Continues
Dean-o-mite

The first one is all original, from the Real Riders series, which came with those "real rubber" tires. It's one of the more expensive variations these days, which stinks extra stinky that it was one of the variations that melted on me.
Wow, I figured you swapped them. Real nice looking. Might have to watch for that one.
Dean-o-mite

The hamburger wheels are know as "Ultra Hot" wheels, or just "Ultra Hots" and they are often abbreviated to UH, as Ripa did in his post.
That went over my head. :blush: Good to know. Have to update the catalog again.

Pegers
SUV
for Ripa...

Posted Image
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Bay 2: Hot Wheels · Next Topic »
Add Reply

March's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations carsdownunder for winning March's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here

April's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations daniel60 for winning April's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here