Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Announcements (Updated: November 20, 2017)

Welcome to Swifty's Garage!

Thanks to all of you for making this board what it is today!

Attention new members: We would like to welcome you personally, so please introduce yourself. Click here: INTRODUCTIONS

For all the latest news and announcements, please click here: PA System

Chat Night:
Join other members every Sunday night at 8pm EST to chat!

Chat Room Link: CHAT ROOM

Thank you - The Swifty's Garage Team

This board is best viewed at 1024 x 768 Resolution

Car of the Week:

Hot Wheels 1995 Mazda RX-7

To learn more about the Hot Wheels '95 Mazda RX-7: Click Here
Welcome to Swifty's Garage. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Thank You,
The Swifty's Garage Team

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Car Of The Day: August 12, 2017; Zylmex '75 Chevrolet Monza 2+2
Topic Started: Aug 12 2017, 03:41 AM (278 Views)
Dean-o-mite
Member Avatar
Pony Car

Posted Image

Today's car of the day is Zylmex's 1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2.

Posted Image

Wikipedia

The Chevrolet Monza is a subcompact, four-passenger automobile produced by Chevrolet for the 1975-1980 model years. The Monza is based on the Chevrolet Vega, sharing its wheelbase, width and 140 CID (2300 cc) inline-four engine. The 1975 Monza 2+2 was designed to accommodate the GM-Wankel rotary engine, but due to mediocre fuel economy and emissions compliance issues the engine was cancelled, and a fuel-efficient 4.3 liter V8 engine option was substituted. The Monza 2+2 and Monza Towne Coupe competed with the Ford Mustang II and other sporty coupes. General Motors' H-body variants Buick Skyhawk and Oldsmobile Starfire were produced using the Monza 2+2 body with grill and trim variations and Buick's 3.8 liter V6 engine. The Pontiac Sunbird variant was introduced the following model year, eventually offered in both Monza body styles. The Monza nameplate originated in mid-1960 for the sport version of the Chevrolet Corvair.

Posted Image

For more information and pictures of the real car please visit: Chevrolet Monza

Posted Image

Posted Image

Zylmex had an interesting selection of common cars from the 1970's, including this cool little Monza with opening hatchback. As far as I'm aware, this was the only version ever issued; no wheel variations, color changes or alternate interior colors. The coloring of the tail lights is my own custom addition.

Posted Image

Wikipedia

The Monza 2+2, Chevrolet's sport successor to the Vega, debuted as a single-model 2+2 hatchback. The Monza is 4 inches (100 mm) longer and weighs 180 pounds more than the Vega from which it is derived. John DeLorean nicknamed it the "Italian Vega" citing styling with a strong resemblance to the Ferrari 365 GTC/4. GM had planned to introduce the GM Wankel rotary engine, licensed from NSU Motorenwerke AG, in the 1975 Monza. Rotary issues included mediocre fuel economy compounded at a time of comparatively high fuel prices following the Arab Oil Embargo of 1973, and GM canceled the engine. Thus the 1975 Chevrolet Monza was launched carrying a conventional piston engine instead. The 1975 Monza 2+2 wears its once-newly approved rectangular headlights and a slot-style grille in a slanted nose made of resilient polyurethane. The side window louvers are functional, part of the flow-through ventilation system. The Monza 2+2's two-door hatchback body style is shared with the Oldsmobile Starfire and Buick Skyhawk. The standard Monza engine is the Vega aluminum-block 140 CID (2.3 liter) inline-four engine with a single barrel carburetor that generates 78 horsepower at 4200 rpm. Optional was the two-barrel carburetor version that generates 87 horsepower at 4400 rpm. Chevrolet's new 4.3 liter (262 cid) V8 engine was optional. The smallest V8 ever offered by Chevrolet, it features a Rochester two-barrel carburetor and generates 110 horsepower at 3600 rpm.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

250 TR
Member Avatar

File this under: "Cars I'm surprised haven't been run on COTD yet". Yeah I know that's a long list. I've resisted getting this car from any online sources but I suspect if I ever found it in person it would come home with me.

juantoo3
Member Avatar
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

250 TR
Aug 12 2017, 03:51 AM
File this under: "Cars I'm surprised haven't been run on COTD yet". Yeah I know that's a long list.
Ditto

Not often seen, and even less often in nice condition. Sounds obvious until you go looking....nice ones are pretty darn hard to find.

pjedsel
Member Avatar
Pony Car
I always thought it was neat that Zylmex wanted everyone to know it was a Monza with the bowtie sticker on the rear hatch. :lol: Zee did a number of unique castings like this that most of the "big boys of the toy world" never bothered with. :thumbup: Muscle cars and such are nice but it is always great to have these see on the road, everyday cars.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Pegers
Member Avatar
Convertible
^^^^^^added me to what they said^^^^^^^^^

Swifty
Member Avatar
Land of Lincoln, Mercury, & Ford
I love this one! :D

ivantt
Member Avatar
New casting? Quick! Take it apart!
So much potential for a good custom!! But, very hard to find, and if it was in good condition, I'd want to leave it as is, Operating hatch, semi-decent wheels, and....CLEAR glass to boot!! What's there not to like??? :thumbup:

94cadillacfleetwood
Member Avatar
Nothing good ever happens after midnight.
Boy, did I get lucky then! I found one at an antique mall for $3.50 about a year ago!

craftymore
Member Avatar
Support your local demo derby.

94cadillacfleetwood
Aug 15 2017, 04:01 PM
Boy, did I get lucky then! I found one at an antique mall for $3.50 about a year ago!
Good price!!! Sorta funny how bargain brand models from the 60s, 70s and 80s are starting to creep up in demand/value. Playart, Zylmex and Yatming represent those three decades in succession of what really nice 'off-brand' models can be with many unique castings during those three decades.

atombaum
Member Avatar
The Quest Continues
Beautifully captures the hideous appearance of the original. Bravo!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Car Of The Day · Next Topic »
Add Reply

May's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations Mikey 1/64 for winning May's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here

June's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations SnowOwl for winning June's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here