Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Announcements (Updated: October 15, 2017)

Welcome To Swifty's Garage!

Thanks to all of you for making this board what it is today!

Attention new members: We would like to welcome you personally, so please introduce yourself. Click here: INTRODUCTIONS

For all the latest news and announcements, please click here: PA System

Chat Night:
Join other members every Sunday night at 8pm EST to chat!

Chat Room Link: CHAT ROOM

Thank you - The Swifty's Garage Team

This board is best viewed at 1024 x 768 Resolution

Car of the Week:

Hot Wheels 1966 Fiat 500

To learn more about the Hot Wheels '66 Fiat 500: Click Here
Welcome to Swifty's Garage. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Thank You,
The Swifty's Garage Team

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Window Tint Techniques and Products
Topic Started: Sep 12 2017, 09:39 AM (459 Views)
CarreraRSR
Member Avatar
Compact
Request for assistance finding a good method for tinting clear plastic windows for customizing models. I am having problems tinting the flat racing wind screen on my 1/64 scale racing Porsche 914-6 custom project. Two methods have been used successfully to accurately replicate the correct size and shape of the racing wind screens for use to replace the windshields on Kyosho Porsche 914 base models. Correctly shaped sections were sourced from various clear plastic packaging and others were molded from flat pieces of clear plastic using rather difficult heating methods around shaped wooden blocks.

The racing wind screens on actual Porsche 914 race cars feature dark green tint. I have tried using various green Sharpies and green paint on the insides of clear plastic that produce poor uneven results. I would really appreciate any suggestions for techniques and/or products to successfully tint clear plastic windows on models.

CarreraRSR
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dean-o-mite
Member Avatar
Pony Car
Sorry I can't help; I opened the topic thinking I might be enlightened on how to do it!

Z28HO
Member Avatar
Midsize
Tamiya makes a transparent smoke, green, blue and red in acrylic. For a dark green tint I would use the smoke with a drop of green to change the the smoke to a dark green. The smoke is a dark gray tending to lean towards the brown side.
Edited by Z28HO, Sep 13 2017, 12:20 AM.

toyotageek
Member Avatar
Japanese Minicar Maniac
If you have extra clear plastic, try experimenting with some dyes, or maybe even tea?

I'm thinking that soaking the plastic will give a better more even coverage than brushing or spraying.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Z28HO
Member Avatar
Midsize
There was a craze back in the '90s where it was popular to dye HW but even dying can give uneven results and once dyed its permanent. Can't strip and redo. Brushing is hard to get even. Sptaying isn't that hard, biggest problem is just say you can do it and practice.
When you say you can't do it, your right as you have already convinced yourself.

funeralxempire
SUV
Z28HO
Sep 13 2017, 09:40 AM
There was a craze back in the '90s where it was popular to dye HW but even dying can give uneven results and once dyed its permanent. Can't strip and redo. Brushing is hard to get even. Sptaying isn't that hard, biggest problem is just say you can do it and practice.
When you say you can't do it, your right as you have already convinced yourself.
Wouldn't the hot water cause the windows to melt if they go in with the body? The salt will rust the axles if the car isn't disassembled first.

toyotageek
Member Avatar
Japanese Minicar Maniac
How about visit a glass shop or tint shop and ask real nice if they have any scrap pieces of tint material?
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ripa
Member Avatar
Minivan
Here we have products for tinting rear lights in automotive stores. They are transparent spray paints and are available in red, orange, green, blue and black. They should work in modeling too. They are easy to use and can be stripped off with a special product in the same product line that doesn't damage the surface.

1967stang
Member Avatar
Midsize
Try Joannes fabric. They have transparent hobby paints there as well as fabrics.

1967stang
Member Avatar
Midsize
Try Joannes fabric. They have transparent hobby paints there as well as fabrics.

1967stang
Member Avatar
Midsize
They also have clear colored plastic sheets I think.

stromberg97
Subcompact
funeralxempire
Sep 13 2017, 03:49 PM
Z28HO
Wouldn't the hot water cause the windows to melt if they go in with the body? The salt will rust the axles if the car isn't disassembled first.
Rit dye,after being prepared with boiling water,should be allowed to cool.At this point the clear plastic parts can be immersed.This cold dye process will take quite a bit of time,but can be checked every few hours (or even days) to check for the correct color intensity.Rinse the plastic to check.It can then be judged as done,or if it goes back in for more time. Rit has many versions of each color,and they can also be intermixed.

funeralxempire
SUV
stromberg97
Oct 2 2017, 08:39 AM
funeralxempire
Sep 13 2017, 03:49 PM
Z28HO
Rit dye,after being prepared with boiling water,should be allowed to cool.At this point the clear plastic parts can be immersed.This cold dye process will take quite a bit of time,but can be checked every few hours (or even days) to check for the correct color intensity.Rinse the plastic to check.It can then be judged as done,or if it goes back in for more time. Rit has many versions of each color,and they can also be intermixed.
Thank you, this is definitely relevant to my interests. Posted Image

Hosspower98
Member Avatar
Forever Blue Oval
I had good luck with Testor's Candy Enamel spray paint. Be sure it is the transparent type of paint. It is available at Hobby Lobby and I would imagine other hobby/craft outlets.

After disassembly, I masked off the outside surface. Then I layered several coats of candy green until I got the tone I was looking to achieve.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 54___1.jpg (135.67 KB)
Attachments: 54___2.jpg (133.73 KB)
Attachments: 54___3.jpg (128.29 KB)
Attachments: 54___4.jpg (151.81 KB)
Edited by Hosspower98, Oct 6 2017, 01:11 PM.

Hosspower98
Member Avatar
Forever Blue Oval
You are welcome.

Milton Fox Racing
Member Avatar
SUV
CarreraRS can you post an image (or link to) of the 1:1 window you want to replicate.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Repair Bay: Customs & Restorations · Next Topic »
Add Reply

May's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations Mikey 1/64 for winning May's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here

June's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations SnowOwl for winning June's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here