Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Announcements (Updated: October 15, 2017)

Welcome To Swifty's Garage!

Thanks to all of you for making this board what it is today!

Attention new members: We would like to welcome you personally, so please introduce yourself. Click here: INTRODUCTIONS

For all the latest news and announcements, please click here: PA System

Chat Night:
Join other members every Sunday night at 8pm EST to chat!

Chat Room Link: CHAT ROOM

Thank you - The Swifty's Garage Team

This board is best viewed at 1024 x 768 Resolution

Car of the Week:

Hot Wheels 1966 Fiat 500

To learn more about the Hot Wheels '66 Fiat 500: Click Here
Welcome to Swifty's Garage. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Thank You,
The Swifty's Garage Team

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Dodge Pick-Ups
Topic Started: Sep 26 2017, 04:45 PM (636 Views)
Douglas
Member Avatar
SUV
You guys may have figured out by now, if I really like a casting I tend to have accumulated a lot of variations over the years, the Majorette Dodge is one of those. :D

It seems there were four different configurations for the pick up body style, and then the fire engine, all released in the mid 1970's best I can tell from catalogs.
Snow Plow #242
Camper or Camping Car #209
Wrecker or Tow Truck #212
Safari Truck #225
Fire Engine or Pompier #204

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Almost forgot this camper

Posted Image

There are two different bases used for the pick up, with dual or single headlights on each side, the dual ones are usually somewhat covered, because these either have the snow plow, or brush guard in front, the one shown, blue, is just a beater I found and was missing the brush guard.

Posted Image

And then the fire engine has a bit of a difference too, since it neither has the holes under the grill for the plow or brush guard, nor does it have the turn signal lights filling those holes, or are those fog lights, I don't know.

Posted Image

The white one shown in the group is actually not Majorette, believe it was Universal that copied the casting from them.
Posted Image

Here is the Universal base
Posted Image

and The real Majorette pick up base
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

94cadillacfleetwood
Member Avatar
Nothing good ever happens after midnight.
I never realised that was a Dodge. I have the Camping Car in that yellow and what looks like a kid's paint job-didn't realize they came like that.

I've got my eye on that tow truck!

pjedsel
Member Avatar
Pony Car
Wow - you do indeed have a lot of variations of this casting. Over the years there has been a lot of debate on whether it is a Dodge or not - most still list it as a Dodge/Fargo truck which were sold in England. I wonder how many are aware as you share that there are two different castings of this one - it was a number of years before I realized that.

Vintage20
Fullsize
Very nice collection of Majorette Dodge Trucks. :thumbup:

Tyrolese
Member Avatar
Fullsize
There must be countless variations available of the funky colored one.

Posted Image

Does anyone know, if there are repro canopy´s available?

Sergoids
Member Avatar
Fullsize
Douglas
Sep 26 2017, 04:45 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

A very nice collection you have there of a model that is still for many a bit of an enigma. Is it a Dodge or is it a generic loosely based on the Dodge? I had 2 tow trucks and 2 pickups back in the '70s when I was enjoying my childhood and I remember wondering what brand of truck this was.

I just noticed another difference in the base of the blue pickup and the fire truck ; namely the grille on the blue pickup has only one horizontal style (is that the correct word?) whereas the fire truck has 3!
Edited by Sergoids, Sep 27 2017, 06:49 AM.

ninuxx
Member Avatar
Fullsize
Great Collection, the issue of "Dodge" has been widely discussed. But Majorette molded it into the glass (first as "DODGE", later on as "ODG" with the first and last letter missing) - so maybe Majorette was wrong - but they called it Dodge :)

Have to look for my variations, but there are so many of those Dodges - one of Majorettes all time favorite..!

b2young
Member Avatar
Sad firefighter
I have one that's probably the tow truck, in red with red lights on the roof, but the tow crane(?) is missing from the back. Other than the two or three military versions of the pumper I have (can only find 2 at the moment....#5 and #8...) and one red one, I see I need to find that black one!

Pegers
Member Avatar
SUV
when does your dodge truck dealership open?

FiatCoupe
Member Avatar
Fullsize
This is my favourite Majorette casting,I've got a few

Posted Image
The least common one seems to be the multicoloured truck with lights on the roof instead of tyres,I've only got one of those.I've not seen any reproduction canopies :( ,I could use a few.As for what it's based on,I don't think it's a real truck,all the discussions I've seen about it haven't really identified it as a real truck.
Edited by FiatCoupe, Sep 27 2017, 01:31 PM.

JBH6666
Member Avatar
Midsize
Is this a European version of the Dodge truck? I also have a few versions of this casting but never realized it was a Dodge.

microbuss
Member Avatar
SUV
JBH6666
Sep 27 2017, 03:16 PM
Is this a European version of the Dodge truck? I also have a few versions of this casting but never realized it was a Dodge.
my guess it is but it could be a Australian type of Dodge too
Never seen a USA Dodge truck like the Majo one

need to find one next Saturday hehe

juantoo3
Member Avatar
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I understood it to be a Simca / Dodge, which was part of Chrysler Euro at the time.

No pics at the moment (there are a few around the site somewhere), but I like this casting a lot too...and I guess that explains why I can't find any around here...Douglas has them all!

b2young
Member Avatar
Sad firefighter
juantoo3
Sep 27 2017, 09:11 PM
I understood it to be a Simca / Dodge, which was part of Chrysler Euro at the time.

No pics at the moment (there are a few around the site somewhere), but I like this casting a lot too...and I guess that explains why I can't find any around here...Douglas has them all!
:lol:

juantoo3
Member Avatar
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lookie what I found:

http://swiftysgarage.net/topic/7079491/1/

Douglas
Member Avatar
SUV
Thanks guys, glad you like the collection, but it really looks like Fiatcoupe is the serious when it comes to these trucks, I'm envious. :D

So I know it doesn't look like an accurate Dodge replica, but I actually have always called it that because of the same thing Niels mentioned about it saying Dodge on the inside of the glass, I remember seeing that on one of my models years ago, and I believe one of my early collectors guides also called it a Dodge. I was thinking maybe a Dodge KEW, the old Dodges from the UK, although modified from that to be a generic, but then I'm not familiar with Simca Dodge, it would be interesting to see what a 1/1 looks like.

Thanks for showing your collections guys, and the link to the old thread Wes, it was also an interesting read, and great models shown, it appears my white noname one is much the same as what Jerry had there, I could have sworn I read in the Small Scale guide, Kimmo and Mark, and Dave did one like it was pictured in the photo section, (in blue) and noted as Universal, could be wrong about the brand though, and I'm not at home to check.

Blair, that army fire engine is actually the olive color, just bad lighting in my pic.

b2young
Member Avatar
Sad firefighter
Ah, thanks Doug! I can sort of see that now in the first photo where it shows up. Still, I don't have that vary with the red cross on the doors. Was that how this vary was released? Like I said, I have 3 with numbers on the doors: #3, #5, and #8. I believe there was a thread some time ago that showed there were more with the number decals. So I've been kinda looking for different numbers.....and the three I have are MOC.

HE-Man
Compact
I saw a pic and a topic of some forum about that, but I forgot where :D
But, I found this topic theme about that:

http://www.planetdiecast.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=155&id=13904&limit=15&limitstart=30&Itemid=0

BTW, I my childhood, I disassembled my Majorette Dodge Camper and I saw a inscription "DODGE" on plastic "glass" part, between sirens.

b2young
Member Avatar
Sad firefighter
HE-Man
Sep 29 2017, 01:38 PM
I saw a pic and a topic of some forum about that, but I forgot where :D
But, I found this topic theme about that:

http://www.planetdiecast.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=155&id=13904&limit=15&limitstart=30&Itemid=0

BTW, I my childhood, I disassembled my Majorette Dodge Camper and I saw a inscription "DODGE" on plastic "glass" part, between sirens.
Is it possible that the "DODGE" on the plastic was to tell assemblers those were the "roof lights" for the "Dodge" tow truck????

I just checked out my red Dodge fire truck (there's a rectangular opening in the base and you can see the cab ceiling--with a flashlight) and sure enough, that plastic piece that forms the entire windows/roof lights says "DODGE" on it, clear as day!

Of course, the consensus here seems to be that the Fire truck is a Dodge; the tow truck(s) seem to have a completely different grille. (My broken tow truck has the "ODG" but the beginning and ending letters are not visible (the ones that would make it "DodgE").
Edited by b2young, Sep 29 2017, 02:16 PM.

ninuxx
Member Avatar
Fullsize
Posted Image

:D

juantoo3
Member Avatar
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If guys have been arguing over it for 30 plus years, I don't think we're going to get resolution.

The camper, tow truck, and pickup are essentially the same casting. The firetruck is based on the same casting, and much like building a rig on a commercial chassis the toy firetruck has elements in common with the pickup...though as playthings, there likely isn't a lot of consideration for scale. So the casting can represent a Simca, put a full size camper on it and now it represents a Dodge (at a larger scale), and with the fire rig on back represents a still larger vehicle...all by making creative and optimal use of existing tooling.

To me, and I don't expect to sway anyone, this is commonly called and referred to as a Dodge...so that is what I call it. I understand and agree, it is likely based, probably loosely (although I have reservations considering licensing, I think this predates a lot of that, but may explain the updated grill) based on a native French Simca which at the time was a part of Chrysler Euro which included a badge engineered Dodge. The only way we could ever know without doubt would be to contact one of the designers, who at this point may all be gone. Even if we did, the controversy will continue because, well, some folks just aren't happy with any explanation, even ones that make sense or can be shown incontrovertibly to be factually true. :02:

ninuxx
Member Avatar
Fullsize
I don't know if it is a Dodge, it was intended to be one ..also Majorette tried to sweep out its traces. In very early catalogues it was a "Dodge" - later on it was only a "Camper", a "Depanneuse" or whatever :D

But - I love it!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
(beware - 14% custom on the last picture!)
Edited by ninuxx, Sep 29 2017, 04:14 PM.

Douglas
Member Avatar
SUV
Wow Niels, the collection photos are amazing, I especially like that metallic red fire engine, I didn't even know they existed in that color, or is that some sort of color trial, or preproduction issue?

I also like that yellow service truck and caravan a lot.

FiatCoupe
Member Avatar
Fullsize
Loving your pictures ninuxx,especially the UAP tow truck & the customs.Here's some better pictures of mine

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Edited by FiatCoupe, Sep 29 2017, 04:54 PM.

ninuxx
Member Avatar
Fullsize
Douglas
Sep 29 2017, 04:35 PM
Wow Niels, the collection photos are amazing, I especially like that metallic red fire engine, I didn't even know they existed in that color, or is that some sort of color trial, or preproduction issue?

I also like that yellow service truck and caravan a lot.
The metallic red fire truck was a regular model (not a pre-pro) but very limited. They used that color only for a very short period.

The yellow Dodge with the yellow camper is 50% custom:

The camper is genuine and also such a Dodge was known, but my one is a custom.
The real one has yellow lights...

Posted Image

But I still need the orange wrecker with the yellow boom ...the transitional model between red one with yellow boom and orange one with unpainted boom.
Edited by ninuxx, Sep 29 2017, 04:58 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Bay 9: Majorette · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

May's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations Mikey 1/64 for winning May's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here

June's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations SnowOwl for winning June's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here