Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Announcements (Updated: October 15, 2017)

Welcome To Swifty's Garage!

Thanks to all of you for making this board what it is today!

Attention new members: We would like to welcome you personally, so please introduce yourself. Click here: INTRODUCTIONS

For all the latest news and announcements, please click here: PA System

Chat Night:
Join other members every Sunday night at 8pm EST to chat!

Chat Room Link: CHAT ROOM

Thank you - The Swifty's Garage Team

This board is best viewed at 1024 x 768 Resolution

Car of the Week:

Hot Wheels 1966 Fiat 500

To learn more about the Hot Wheels '66 Fiat 500: Click Here
Welcome to Swifty's Garage. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Thank You,
The Swifty's Garage Team

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Car of the Day: October 12, 2017; M2 '71 Chevrolet Camaro SS 396
Topic Started: Oct 12 2017, 02:52 AM (208 Views)
250 TR
Member Avatar

Posted Image

Today's car of the day is M2's 1971 Chevrolet Camaro SS 396

Posted Image

Wikipedia

The second-generation Chevrolet Camaro was produced by Chevrolet from 1970 through the 1981 model years. It was introduced in the spring of 1970. Build information for model 123-12487 was released to the assembly plants in February of that same year. It was longer, lower, and wider than the first generation Camaro. A convertible body-type was no longer available. GM engineers have said the second generation is much more of "A Driver's Car" than its predecessor.

Posted Image

For more information and pictures on the real car, please visit: Chevrolet Camaro

Posted Image

Posted Image

I've previously expressed boredom towards Camaro's. It's not that I don't like them, it's just that they are everywhere. Both in diecast and in real life. Any neighborhood car show is bound to have a row of first generation Camaro's. I respect them, and would get a kick out of owning one at some point, but they don't draw my attention like other cars. But that being said, the second generation Camaro is by far my favorite. I absolutely love the design of this car and it will always turn my head no matter how many turn up to a show. This is a new casting by M2 and I think they did a really good job on it. I don't like the tampos on the side, and I will likely try and remove them in the future. But I think the color combo looks nice and I like the black wheels and black trim on the tail light panel.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wikipedia

Dubbed "Super Hugger", the second-generation Camaro was developed without the rush of the first generation and benefited from a greater budget justified by the success of the first generation. Although it was an all-new car, the basic mechanical layout of the new Camaro was familiar, engineered much like its predecessor with a unibody structure utilizing a front subframe, A-arm and coil spring front suspension, and rear leaf springs. The chassis and suspension of the second generation were greatly refined in both performance and comfort; base models offered significant advances in sound-proofing, ride isolation, and road-holding. Extensive experience Chevrolet engineers had gained racing the first-generation led directly to advances in second-generation Camaro steering, braking, and balance. Although it began its run with a number of high-performance configurations, as the 1970s progressed, the Camaro grew less powerful, succumbing, like many production cars of the era, to the pressures of tightening emissions regulations and a fuel crisis. Major styling changes were made in 1974 and 1978; 1981 was the final model year for the second-generation Camaro.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Guntownal
Member Avatar
Station Wagon
One of the few I've seen without a spoiler.

pjedsel
Member Avatar
Pony Car
I have always liked the first generation Camaro but I think part of that was getting to be there when it was brand new as a teen-ager. I also like the first generation Mustang's and Barracuda's. With that said this second generation offering from M2 is a nice, basic model - agree with Ben - the tampo's distract from the overall look of the car. :thumbup:

Pegers
Member Avatar
SUV
minus the tampos i like this one.the hub caps are a nice touch.

craftymore
Member Avatar
Support your local demo derby.

It looks well enough executed but I'm not on the hunt for anymore Camaros when I can think of countless cars not done yet in 1/64. It will likely sell for M2, no doubt.

juantoo3
Member Avatar
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have a closet appreciation for this generation Camaro...but remind me, please...was it only the '70 model that had the split front bumper?

ivantt
Member Avatar
New casting? Quick! Take it apart!
With some better color schemes and graphics, they should be able to sell a lot of this casting.

250 TR
Member Avatar

juantoo3
Oct 12 2017, 09:40 PM
I have a closet appreciation for this generation Camaro...but remind me, please...was it only the '70 model that had the split front bumper?
I had to look that up, but from what I just found, it was available on all years. The RS package had the split bumpers. That's the look I like best. Bill Mitchell actually took inspiration for the front end from the 1957 Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa. And the split bumper highlights how cool the front end looks better than the single bumper I think.

This new set from M2 does have a 1970 RS with the split bumpers. When I picked this one up, the '70 they had was damaged, but I found another one tonight and it's really nice too. I like the black wheels with the dish hubs better on this one, but the front end better on the RS.
Edited by 250 TR, Oct 13 2017, 01:40 AM.

Swifty
Member Avatar
Land of Lincoln, Mercury, & Ford
The casting looks good - better than the other new casting ('67-'68) which doesn't look quite right to me. I'll likewise pass until there's an example in a stock paint scheme... and even then I'll be going sparingly. I need more Camaros like I need more Volkswagens. Which means just like their VWs, M2 will figure out a way to make me 'need' most of the Camaro recolors...

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Car Of The Day · Next Topic »
Add Reply

May's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations Mikey 1/64 for winning May's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here

June's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations SnowOwl for winning June's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here