Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Announcements (Updated: November 20, 2017)

Welcome to Swifty's Garage!

Thanks to all of you for making this board what it is today!

Attention new members: We would like to welcome you personally, so please introduce yourself. Click here: INTRODUCTIONS

For all the latest news and announcements, please click here: PA System

Chat Night:
Join other members every Sunday night at 8pm EST to chat!

Chat Room Link: CHAT ROOM

Thank you - The Swifty's Garage Team

This board is best viewed at 1024 x 768 Resolution

Car of the Week:

Hot Wheels 1995 Mazda RX-7

To learn more about the Hot Wheels '95 Mazda RX-7: Click Here
Welcome to Swifty's Garage. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Thank You,
The Swifty's Garage Team

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Car Of The Day: October 22, 2017; Siku '86 Mercedes-Benz 300 TE
Topic Started: Oct 22 2017, 03:23 AM (277 Views)
Dean-o-mite
Member Avatar
Pony Car
Posted Image

Today's car of the day is Siku's 1986 Mercedes-Benz 300 TE.

Posted Image

Wikipedia

W124 is the Mercedes-Benz internal chassis-designation for the 1984 to 1995/96 version of the Mercedes-Benz E-Class, as well as the first generation to be officially referred to as E-Class. The W124 models replaced the W123 models after 1984 and were succeeded by the W210 E-Class after 1995. In North America, the W124 was sold for the 1985 through 1996 model years. The W124 is a mid-sized vehicle platform. Due to the high cost of German engineering and build quality, the W124 was designed to last many miles, with awards actually given and worn by high mileage versions. Much of the 124's engineering and many of its features were advanced automotive technology at its introduction, incorporating innovations that have been adopted throughout the industry. It had one of the lowest coefficient of drag (Cd) of any vehicle of the time (0.28 for the 200/200D model for the European market with 185/65 R15 tires) due to its aerodynamic body, that included plastic molding for the undercarriage to streamline airflow beneath the car, reducing fuel consumption and wind noise. It had a single windscreen wiper that had an eccentric mechanism at its base that extended the wiper's reach to the top corners of the windscreen (more than if it had traveled in a simple arc). The saloon/sedan, coupes and convertibles had optional rear headrests that would fold down remotely to improve rearward visibility when required. This feature was not available for the T-model because of its specific layout (no space to store the retractable headrests), but the estate serially came with a "neighbour-friendly" rear door that was pulled in the shut-position silently and automatically by a sensor-controlled servomotor. This allowed the use of a tighter fitting rear gate, minimizing the cabin noise in the T-model - sometimes an area of concern for station wagons.

Posted Image

For more information and pictures of the real car, please visit Wikipedia: Mercedes-Benz E-Class

Posted Image

Posted Image

I like station wagons, both in the real world, and in my little small scale world. Siku has made numerous really nice station wagons over the years; most featuring an opening liftgate. This Mercedes wagon is one of my favorite castings from Siku.

Posted Image

Wikipedia

The estate cars (chassis designation S124) came in 5- or 7-seat models, the 7-seater having a rear-facing bench seat that folded flush luggage compartment cover and an optional (in the US until 1994) retractable cargo net. To provide a flat loading floor with the seat folded down, the T-model's rear seat squab was mounted about 10 cm (3.9 in) higher than in saloons, robbing rear seat passengers of some head room. The S124 estate continued in production alongside the new W210 until the S210 estate launched more than a year later. The pre-facelift four-cylinder models came standard with four-speed manual transmission, but could be ordered with the five-speed manual or four-speed automatic. After the facelift, the four-speed manual was dropped, and five-speed manual became standard. Five- and six-cylinder engines had five-speed manual as standard (except for 3.0-litre turbocharged diesel, and AMG variants), and optional four-speed automatic. Cars with V8 engines, 3.0-litre turbocharged diesel engines, all-wheel drive (from 1990) and AMG models were available only with four-speed automatic. 24-valve petrol engines (300 E-24, 300 TE-24, 300 CE-24, and later 2.8- and 3.2-litre models) could also be ordered with five-speed automatic. The four-wheel drive system (4MATIC) was available from 1987 with 2.6- and 3.0-litre petrol and 3.0-litre diesel engines with 12 valves. It was not available with coupes and convertibles. From 1987 to 1989, the four-wheel drive cars (except the turbocharged diesel) had five-speed manual transmission as standard, with optional four-speed automatic. From 1990, the manual transmission was available only with 260 E, and the larger engines were available only with four-speed automatic.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

juantoo3
Member Avatar
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

:drool: Now this is one I like!

pjedsel
Member Avatar
Pony Car
:wave: Station Wagon! I agree - Siku has made many nice station wagon models over the years - this 300 TE is nicely done - liking the opening tailgate that seems a standard feature on Siku wagons.

Pegers
Member Avatar
Convertible
great right up to those cheap looking hubcaps.

Dean-o-mite
Member Avatar
Pony Car
Pegers
Oct 22 2017, 11:52 AM
great right up to those cheap looking hubcaps.
The casting is also available with the older Siku wheels, but I chose this version for COTD because of the wheels. The Siku wheels would probably look better in a brighter color, and with some blackwash filling in what are supposed to be holes.

Posted Image

Attached to this post:
Attachments: 300TE.jpg (199.07 KB)

atombaum
Member Avatar
The Quest Continues
I like Siku, I like Mercedes-Benz, I like the T-series "kombi" so I like this one.

Ripa
Member Avatar
Minivan
I have always liked this casting (and the sedan and Binz ambulance variations too). The hubcaps look a lot better when taken a closer look at as they represent the real ones.

The added detail in the pictured example makes it look a LOT better IMO. Especially that black one, which is a bit dull otherwise.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

JustMatt
Member Avatar
Passenger
Classic Mercedes-Benz station wagon, what more is there to say.

ivantt
Member Avatar
New casting? Quick! Take it apart!
A stock Mercedes wagon, with opening tailgate. A good one to have. :thumbup:

jurcpa
Fullsize
ohh many thanks ,I like station wagons !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please more from all companys BMW,VW,Toyota,Nissan,FIAT,etc etc

webestang64
Member Avatar
Minivan
Station wagon fan here too........ :thumbup: And that Siku is so nice.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Car Of The Day · Next Topic »
Add Reply

May's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations Mikey 1/64 for winning May's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here

June's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations SnowOwl for winning June's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here