Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Announcements (Updated: December 12, 2017)

Welcome to Swifty's Garage!

Thanks to all of you for making this board what it is today!

Attention new members: We would like to welcome you personally, so please introduce yourself. Click here: INTRODUCTIONS

For all the latest news and announcements, please click here: PA System

Chat Night:
Join other members every Sunday night at 8pm EST to chat!

Chat Room Link: CHAT ROOM

Thank you - The Swifty's Garage Team

This board is best viewed at 1024 x 768 Resolution

Car of the Week:

Hot Wheels 1988 Chevrolet Corvette

To learn more about the Hot Wheels '88 Chevrolet Corvette: Click Here
Welcome to Swifty's Garage. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Thank You,
The Swifty's Garage Team

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The good ole' oldies
Topic Started: Nov 17 2017, 01:22 PM (368 Views)
Stangfreak
Member Avatar
SUV
I have been here a little over 10 years now, but been collecting well more than 50 years. Back in the early 90s, if I remember correctly, when I first become acquainted with the internet, I really enjoyed finding these diecast discussion sites and joining up. I really, really enjoyed meeting so, so many other collectors and seeing their collections, sharing ideas, learning new tricks, finding information on some of these little cars and much more. At one time I was a member of 16 different sites such as this one. Year by year and one by one they all began to disappear for one reason or another. It finally got to the point there were only 4 popular ones left that was still interesting. The Diecast Diner, Joe's Diecast Shack, Hobby Talk, and Swifty's Garage. The owner/moderator of the Diecast Diner (Louis Kemler) had given me my own page and called it "Stangfreak's Dioramas". He is also the one who designed and made my signature card you see at the bottom of all my posts.

Posted Image

Another fine man and member was Larry Miller (Camper Van) who had his own page called Camper's Customs. That's where I learned so much about tearing into and customizing these little cars. I met great people all over the world who were so very, very helpful in every aspect oft this hobby. The Diner fell off for a reason I never have known and I still remained with Joe's Shack, Hobby Talk, and Swifty's. I left Hobby Talk because ownership changed hands and all the good guys were loosing interest, and becoming nonactive. Some younger guys were taking over all the boards and the valuable information and customizing tips and tricks faded as well. Everything became about colors, All categories were named after colors and that's all that was posted. Very childish. Not sure what happen to Joe's Shack. People started dropping off there too and allot of drama was present. I can't express how thankful and glad Swifty's has remained and all the fantastic guys here are still so active. This place has kept my interest in this hobby very strong through all the changes over the years. Even through cancer, you guys have been so inspiring and supportive through that battle, which I am still involved in. I do know for sure I will remain a member until my final days, or cancer wins, or forbidding, Swifty's closes the doors, "or I am kicked out"...LOL
I recently found some CD disks that were made several years ago to save my files when my last computer crashed, and began going through them. As I was viewing them I was kinda shocked to see and remember some of the sweet and awesome castings I have collected and have in my new toy room. Thing is, they are all in their individual little cases and on the wall shelves I designed and built to display them on. I can't believe I have forgotten so many great and rare castings I have out there. Some of the carded cars that are pegged close to the ceiling are so dust covered you can't see them through the plastic bubble. Funny how these little cars shine so brightly in their day and then you add them to your growing collection, then they seem to disappear in the crowd. You soon forget about them until you see someone else's post of that certain car. My collection has grown to approximately 13,000 to 14,000 cars, trucks, and haulers now and it's getting pretty hard to keep track of. I built my 24 foot by 16 foot room with my own hands to do that very thing. Mabe aging also has something to do with it also. I really had a good thing going there for awhile making car trailers, diorama pieces, customizing pieces, carving them from styrene plastic, molding them and casting them, painting and detailing them to sell, trade and share with many, many, many fellow collectors until I was diagnosed with cancer. The many surgeries, treatments, exams, and finances finally took their toll and slowed me way down. I am in better health and am able to get into more stuff now, but still can't seem to get it all up and running like I used too. I did become severely scared and depressed, I lost all interest in everything I enjoyed, my little cars, racing my real Mustang, playing music, building and riding bicycles and more, including life. There are no words, there is no way to express my gratitude and thanks to each and every "FINE" member here for their comments and supporting words over the years that kept my flame lit. I think my goal in life now is to be typing a post here at Swifty's with my last burst of energy on my final day on earth...LOL

Thank you all, Thank you all, Thank you all soooooooo very, very much!!!

MEMORIES

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Custom pics thanks to Snow Owl...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Made this camper from scratch and scrap plastic in the early 90s

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Stangfreak, Nov 17 2017, 02:06 PM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

webestang64
Member Avatar
Minivan
I am so glad to have found this site and to have the pleasure of seeing yours and everybody else's great photography. Being a pro-photographer I appreciate the fine details you add to your photos. The set ups and lighting are wonderfully thought out and photographed to a high standard.

I consider all of you my friends and I wish all of you happiness and well being.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Collector's Corner · Next Topic »
Add Reply

May's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations Mikey 1/64 for winning May's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here

June's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations SnowOwl for winning June's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here