Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Announcements (Updated: December 12, 2017)

Welcome to Swifty's Garage!

Thanks to all of you for making this board what it is today!

Attention new members: We would like to welcome you personally, so please introduce yourself. Click here: INTRODUCTIONS

For all the latest news and announcements, please click here: PA System

Chat Night:
Join other members every Sunday night at 8pm EST to chat!

Chat Room Link: CHAT ROOM

Thank you - The Swifty's Garage Team

This board is best viewed at 1024 x 768 Resolution

Car of the Week:

Hot Wheels 1988 Chevrolet Corvette

To learn more about the Hot Wheels '88 Chevrolet Corvette: Click Here
Welcome to Swifty's Garage. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Thank You,
The Swifty's Garage Team

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
M2 to the Rescue
Topic Started: Dec 1 2017, 05:27 PM (348 Views)
toyotageek
Member Avatar
Japanese Minicar Maniac
Just a heads up for all you Apparatus collectors out there...
I saw on one of the online shops and on Facebook, there will be a fire chief station wagon and an ambulance van. Sorry but I don't have pictures at the moment. I will try to get photos ASAP...
Edited by toyotageek, Dec 1 2017, 05:29 PM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

toyotageek
Member Avatar
Japanese Minicar Maniac
Make that 3 vehicles, as there is a patrol car too.

Here's the pictures:

Posted Image

Posted Image

The ambulance will be part of a Walmart Econoline Exclusive Collection...

Posted Image

Attached to this post:
Attachments: v2_32500_45_CASE.jpg (132.96 KB)
Attachments: v4_32500_45_CASE.jpg (158.1 KB)
Attachments: unnamed.jpg (67.38 KB)
Edited by toyotageek, Dec 1 2017, 05:40 PM.

EDeKa
Member Avatar
Station Wagon
Thanks for Information and the Pictures :thumbup: - the policecar is on my want-list now.
interesting is that the same model also is available from Matchbox
Edited by EDeKa, Dec 1 2017, 05:44 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

carcollector
Member Avatar

Thank's for the info's, again some cars on my wish list! :toy: :wave:

cody6268
Member Avatar
Minivan
With the popularity of Ford C-Series based fire apparatus, I am surprised why M2 has not used their C-Series casting as any type of apparatus. ]

All three look great.

pjedsel
Member Avatar
Pony Car
Awesome! Great to see M2 offer some more emergency models - looking forward to all three - especially the '50 Olds police car and the Econoline based ambulance - bet that was a real pain in the rear to do much patient care in the back! I have to ask Cody - did I miss something someplace - I was not aware that Matchbox had a '50 Olds casting coming? :wave:

JeepXJLover
Member Avatar
Minivan
OH MY GOODNESS! So much want!

Brian49
Member Avatar
Station Wagon
I will pick up the Chief's buggy and the ambulance.

pjedsel
Member Avatar
Pony Car
As I look at the pictures again the one thing I am thinking is the '64 Econoline is a bit early to use the blue Star of Life symbol - if I recall that did not come into use until the mid '70's. Still it is great to see a '60's era ambulance van.

cody6268
Member Avatar
Minivan
pjedsel
Dec 2 2017, 07:56 PM
As I look at the pictures again the one thing I am thinking is the '64 Econoline is a bit early to use the blue Star of Life symbol - if I recall that did not come into use until the mid '70's. Still it is great to see a '60's era ambulance van.

That's what I was thinking. You see it on a lot of Cadillacs, but most of those date to the latter part of the 1960s right into the early '70s when they were phased out due to the law change. A Google search revealed that all the Ford Econoline ambulances of this era used the Red Cross.
Edited by cody6268, Dec 2 2017, 08:56 PM.

toyotageek
Member Avatar
Japanese Minicar Maniac
cody6268
Dec 2 2017, 08:53 PM
pjedsel
Dec 2 2017, 07:56 PM

That's what I was thinking. You see it on a lot of Cadillacs, but most of those date to the latter part of the 1960s right into the early '70s when they were phased out due to the law change. A Google search revealed that all the Ford Econoline ambulances of this era used the Red Cross.
Another missed opportunity for historical accuracy.

But I'll still get it anyways. ^_^

Brian49
Member Avatar
Station Wagon
I noted the star and thought I was being to critical so left it as is. Also thought about how some rural areas may have keep it in service longer, or bought it second hand and re-painted it and put the rig in service. Literally just yesterday my boys and I stopped in the Essex CT Ambulance barn and surprised to learn one of their units is 24 years old, and will be in service at for another year or so!

b2young
Member Avatar
Sad firefighter
Brian49
Dec 3 2017, 05:09 AM
I noted the star and thought I was being to critical so left it as is. Also thought about how some rural areas may have keep it in service longer, or bought it second hand and re-painted it and put the rig in service. Literally just yesterday my boys and I stopped in the Essex CT Ambulance barn and surprised to learn one of their units is 24 years old, and will be in service at for another year or so!
I was kinda thinking that too. Just because a vehicle has a more modern livery doesn't mean it wasn't still in first-line duty somewhere, and the local department added relevant decals/paint job as they took it over.

Surely fire apparatus is intended to be in service for a decade even these days....too expensive to be one-and-done with rigs.

I was just vainly still looking for the US re-issue of the Mexican exclusive Chevy Apache brush fire truck this morning. And still no luck (I got the Mexican issue a few years back online). I'll definitely pick up all three if I ever see any of them in stores here. Happy to see more fire/ems from M2!

pjedsel
Member Avatar
Pony Car
You are right - a lot of rural departments run their rigs for many, many miles (and years). When I was first certified as an EMT they were just starting to regulate using the "box trucks" over the car based ambulance. The first dept. I worked with was running an Oldsmobile based ambulance. It would have been very possible for a small, tight budget dept. to still be running something like the Econoline into the '70's - I hadn't thought of that when I made the comment about it being to early for the blue star of life logo.

b2young
Member Avatar
Sad firefighter
The college fire department where I started my career (led to meeting the USFS fire guys in classes, which led to me choosing to work fire in the woods instead of the city) ran a 50s-60s-era pumper (it was still the early 70s then) and a 37 Chevy engine (which a member eventually bought and fully restored for parade/muster use). Both engines were fully operational. We also had two Willys Jeeps equipped with 50-gal tank/pump/live reel for campus wildland patrol.

Brian49
Member Avatar
Station Wagon
Blair,

I hear you. In 1994 when I started as a volunteer my department still ran this 1967 Maxim 85 ladder. Keep in mind the department ran over 1500 calls a year and about 15-20 working fires and this was the sole ladder truck!
Posted Image
This rig was front line until about 1996, and then served as a spare ladder until 2007 or 08.

diomakr
Station Wagon
wow- that's great news, and all three look good- despite whether the star of life is accurate. looking forward to these, and more to come. That ladder reminds me of my old vol. firefighter days... i remember gearing up on the back of the open cab on the way to a call- we had those fancy yellow bars that were supposed to keep you from falling out into the street. they stopped riding on the back step at all right around the time i started.

pjedsel
Member Avatar
Pony Car
diomakr
Dec 7 2017, 01:08 AM
wow- that's great news, and all three look good- despite whether the star of life is accurate. looking forward to these, and more to come. That ladder reminds me of my old vol. firefighter days... i remember gearing up on the back of the open cab on the way to a call- we had those fancy yellow bars that were supposed to keep you from falling out into the street. they stopped riding on the back step at all right around the time i started.
Yep - something about riding on the tailboard at 50 some miles an hour heading out to a rural barn fire. Hmm - :rolleyes: Minimal turn-out gear in those days as well.

Hot Wheels
Midsize
pjedsel
Dec 1 2017, 07:30 PM
Awesome! Great to see M2 offer some more emergency models - looking forward to all three - especially the '50 Olds police car and the Econoline based ambulance - bet that was a real pain in the rear to do much patient care in the back! I have to ask Cody - did I miss something someplace - I was not aware that Matchbox had a '50 Olds casting coming? :wave:
I really like that 1950 Olds police car. Matchbox has produced a '51 Hudson Hornet police car. I haven't seen an Olds made by them as of yet.

pjedsel
Member Avatar
Pony Car
Hot Wheels
Dec 7 2017, 03:19 PM
pjedsel
Dec 1 2017, 07:30 PM
I really like that 1950 Olds police car. Matchbox has produced a '51 Hudson Hornet police car. I haven't seen an Olds made by them as of yet.
I wonder if Cody was thinking of Johnny Lightning as they did a '50 Olds Super 88 police car in NYPD dark green, black and white.

Brian49
Member Avatar
Station Wagon
diomakr
Yes most of our rigs of that era had canopy cabs, and those yellow safety bars (they were angled on the ladder due to the turn table). We were guilty of the same thing as far as gearing up in route. The other thing we used to do was stand in the open jump seat area when going or coming from calls.

911diecast
Member Avatar
Compact
Brian49
Dec 5 2017, 10:04 PM
Blair,

I hear you. In 1994 when I started as a volunteer my department still ran this 1967 Maxim 85 ladder. Keep in mind the department ran over 1500 calls a year and about 15-20 working fires and this was the sole ladder truck!
Posted Image
This rig was front line until about 1996, and then served as a spare ladder until 2007 or 08.
Brian,

My first due rig when I started in 1982 was a 1953 White. Brakes were iffy on some days. I will dig up an old picture of it.

diomakr
Station Wagon
Brian49
Dec 8 2017, 03:14 PM
diomakr
Yes most of our rigs of that era had canopy cabs, and those yellow safety bars (they were angled on the ladder due to the turn table). We were guilty of the same thing as far as gearing up in route. The other thing we used to do was stand in the open jump seat area when going or coming from calls.
yeah- i can't remember being odd man out standing across from the jump seat, using the fold down step as a seat. but that was almost always for night time working fires. During the day, we were spread so thin that it was usually just me riding officer and the engineer. I didn't know what i was doing, but the old guy behind the wheel was a retired chief ,that just liked to drive in those days... sure be great to have some of these older rigs to work with on some dio scenes.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Bay 11: Apparatus Bay · Next Topic »
Add Reply

May's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations Mikey 1/64 for winning May's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here

June's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations SnowOwl for winning June's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here