Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Announcements (Updated: January 15, 2018)

Welcome to Swifty's Garage!

Thanks to all of you for making this board what it is today!

Attention new members: We would like to welcome you personally, so please introduce yourself. Click here: INTRODUCTIONS

For all the latest news and announcements, please click here: PA System

Thank you - The Swifty's Garage Team

This board is best viewed at 1024 x 768 Resolution

Car of the Week:

Grell 1971 Audi 100 Coupe S

To learn more about the Grell '71 Audi 100 Coupe S: Click Here
Welcome to Swifty's Garage. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Thank You,
The Swifty's Garage Team

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Help make Swifty's ad-free!; Announcing the Swifty's Garage Patreon
Topic Started: Dec 9 2017, 02:18 PM (902 Views)
jedimario
Member Avatar
RAWR
Hi everyone,

For years we have had advertisements here at Swifty's Garage. At times, these advertisements have gotten fairly intrusive, and they have always been annoying. Swifty's Garage staff has been looking into ways to remove them, and we think we have a solution. Introducing the Swifty's Garage Patreon!

Patreon is a crowdfunding platform that allows organizations to raise funds for various projects. You can read more about it here. Basically, you can use it to sign up for a monthly donation to your chosen group. We've determined that this will be one of the easier ways to raise the money we need to completely remove ads from Swifty's for everyone, logged-in members and guests alike.

To reach this goal, we need about $40/month. This isn't a huge amount for a board this size to raise, and even a single dollar a month will go a long way to getting rid of ads, so every bit helps! We hope you'll consider helping out. Short of that goal, we'll remove ads as long as we can, but they may not be absent all of the time.

Patreon will also allow us to provide exclusive benefits to supporters. While we don't have anything specific figured out yet, you can be sure that will be something in the near future! Please take a look and consider contributing. You can view the Patreon page here:

https://www.patreon.com/swiftysgarage

Thanks!

-Swifty's Garage staff
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Swifty
Member Avatar
The Mustang II is a Mustang too!
Thank you in advance to everyone who donates.

Contributing is optional, and everyone will reap the rewards of going ad-free. There are also additional perks available should we raise enough money to upgrade to Zetaboard Premium. If we can raise an additional $80 (this is yearly, not monthly), there are two very big perks:

-Upload size goes from 200KB to 7MB per file. This is a huge difference in file size, and members wouldn't need to worry about Photobucket or any other website to host photos, that's big enough to upload most photos.

-Email subscriptions for topics

Once again, thank you. This board is great because of all of you, and contributing to the Patreon is a way you can give back to the community as a whole.

toyotageek
Member Avatar
Japanese Minicar Maniac
Cool!

I am all for this and will gladly support it!

However, did you know about the latest update to Patreon's pledge system? Don't know how it may or may not affect pledges. I've seen some comments from Patreon artists that think it will hurt overall number of pledges.

Quote:

Important Update Regarding Your Pledges

Dear patron,

Your support is truly changing the lives of creators around the world. You give creators a reliable paycheck that enables them to do their best work. Thank you thank you thank you.

In order to continue our mission of funding the creative class, we’re always looking for ways to do what’s best for our creators. With that, we’re writing to tell you of a change we’re making so that all Patreon creators take home exactly 95% of every pledge, with no additional fees.

Aside from Patreon’s existing 5% fee, a creator’s income on Patreon varies because of processing fees every month. They can lose anywhere from 7-15% of their earnings to these fees. This means creators actually take home a lower percentage of your pledge than you may realize. Our goal is to make creators’ paychecks as predictable as possible, so we’re restructuring how these fees are paid.

Starting December 18th, we will apply a new service fee of 2.9% + $0.35 that patrons will pay for each individual pledge. This service fee helps keep Patreon up and running.

We want you to know that we approach every change with thoughtfulness for creators and patrons. By standardizing Patreon’s fees, we’re ensuring that creators get paid to continue creating high quality content. If you have questions or would like to learn more, please visit our FAQ here.

Sincerely,
The Patreon team

Random
Member Avatar
Station Wagon
Personally, I don't have any problems with the ads but i'm in and supporting with small amount.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jedimario
Member Avatar
RAWR
toyotageek
Dec 9 2017, 03:10 PM
However, did you know about the latest update to Patreon's pledge system? Don't know how it may or may not affect pledges. I've seen some comments from Patreon artists that think it will hurt overall number of pledges.
I was not aware of this. This will cost less than $0.50 up to $5 per month, so it doesn't seem like a huge deal. If anyone wants to deduct that from the amount they contribute, I wouldn't blame them and it won't really affect things too much!

Ripa
Member Avatar
Minivan
I am willing to contribute on this. Not familiar with the site and its system though - how does the payment work?

toyotageek
Member Avatar
Japanese Minicar Maniac
Ripa
Dec 10 2017, 04:22 AM
I am willing to contribute on this. Not familiar with the site and its system though - how does the payment work?
I'm not sure about all the available options, but I currently support a couple of artists through Patreon, and the way I pay is automatic monthly payments with PayPal.

Dean-o-mite
Member Avatar
Pony Car
toyotageek
Dec 10 2017, 01:46 PM
Ripa
Dec 10 2017, 04:22 AM
I'm not sure about all the available options, but I currently support a couple of artists through Patreon, and the way I pay is automatic monthly payments with PayPal.
I've not used Patreon before, but what I understand is that you can sign up for an automatic monthly donation of any amount, which can be funded from PayPal or a credit card.

Swifty's Garage staff has already donated a chunk of money, to try and get us started with the Premium features, such as higher limit photo hosting and email notifications for topic replies, which are often things most heavily requested, but ZetaBoards doesn't offer those features for free.

I'm all for getting rid of the ads and will be signing up for a couple bucks a month, as I know there are several members who have significant trouble with the ads, and some stay away because of them. I'd like to have those members and their contributions, back here at the Garage.

carcollector
Member Avatar

Dean-o-mite
Dec 10 2017, 03:29 PM

I'm all for getting rid of the ads and will be signing up for a couple bucks a month, as I know there are several members who have significant trouble with the ads, and some stay away because of them. I'd like to have those members and their contributions, back here at the Garage.

Same for me.
Edited by carcollector, Dec 10 2017, 05:48 PM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

toyotageek
Member Avatar
Japanese Minicar Maniac
jedimario
Dec 9 2017, 02:18 PM
So I checked out the Swifty's Garage Patreon page.

And I checked out payment/membership/reward level options.... you only have one option, for $1.

Have you thought of creating different levels? Like $3, $5, $10....? I'd like to contribute more than a dollar a month. Might be worth discussing and giving some thought.

EDIT - forget it. I see I can contribute a greater amount. Didn't catch that at first since I was comparing it to other Patreons I contribute to. Most have several levels of contribution.
Edited by toyotageek, Dec 11 2017, 12:54 AM.

Ripa
Member Avatar
Minivan
Okay, got the principle how it works and signed up as a "patron". Hope it helps the board!

jedimario
Member Avatar
RAWR
toyotageek
Dec 11 2017, 12:51 AM
EDIT - forget it. I see I can contribute a greater amount. Didn't catch that at first since I was comparing it to other Patreons I contribute to. Most have several levels of contribution.
Right. So, other pages use those tiers and you will get some individual "reward" for contributing at a certain tier. We have been kicking around some "reward" ideas and will definitely let everyone know if we come up with anything. But for now, with just ad removal and ZB premium as the "rewards", there is nothing that we can give individual contributers. Those just benefit everyone equally.

toyotageek
Member Avatar
Japanese Minicar Maniac
jedimario
Dec 11 2017, 10:19 AM
toyotageek
Dec 11 2017, 12:51 AM
Right. So, other pages use those tiers and you will get some individual "reward" for contributing at a certain tier. We have been kicking around some "reward" ideas and will definitely let everyone know if we come up with anything. But for now, with just ad removal and ZB premium as the "rewards", there is nothing that we can give individual contributers. Those just benefit everyone equally.
You might consider adding something to your description that points out the fact that people can contribute more. Easy to miss if you're not a regular Patreon user.

Regarding Rewards:

Since I don't know what kinds of ideas you guys have tossed around, I'll suggest a few. Of course I don't know what's possible with Zetaboards, so these are just random thoughts, if not actual possibilities.

Editing - allow a member to edit their posts forever (I know it's set that way for everyone right know, but if you switch back, it could be an option)
Badge/Special Avatar - showing contribution status on forum
"Gift" - maintain a set level of contribution for x-amount of time, get a gift

I'd also recommend making posts on a semi regular basis, just to keep the Patreon page current looking. Once a month or so should do.

toyotageek
Member Avatar
Japanese Minicar Maniac
Oh, and here's a little tid-bit from the confirmation email...

Quote:

No charge has been placed yet. You've pledged to a "per month" page and will be charged on the 1st of next month.
Your pledge renews automatically and is charged every month.

So money wont actually start flowing in until January 1st.

jedimario
Member Avatar
RAWR
Just a minor note- those fee changes will not be rolling out after all.

https://blog.patreon.com/not-rolling-out-fees-change/

toyotageek
Member Avatar
Japanese Minicar Maniac
jedimario
Dec 13 2017, 03:19 PM
Just a minor note- those fee changes will not be rolling out after all.

https://blog.patreon.com/not-rolling-out-fees-change/

NICE!! :thumbup:

toyotageek
Member Avatar
Japanese Minicar Maniac
I know it's the holiday season, but seeing that contributions aren't exactly flowing in.... have you thought about promoting this more prominently on the forum, or sending out a group email/announcement (if that's even possible), or mentioning it on the Facebook page?

Pegers
Member Avatar
Convertible
well i tried...i joined and then tried to find our page.the only way to find swiftys is by using a social media connection.
i do not belong to any of them and i am not about to join any of them.
so how to get to swiftys page?
Edited by Pegers, Dec 18 2017, 11:37 PM.

toyotageek
Member Avatar
Japanese Minicar Maniac
Pegers
Dec 18 2017, 11:36 PM
well i tried...i joined and then tried to find our page.the only way to find swiftys is by using a social media connection.
i do not belong to any of them and i am not about to join any of them.
so how to get to swiftys page?
:dunno:

Dan... not exactly sure what you mean, so I'll ask...

What did you join? and Where did you try to find our page?

The Patreon page is only for making a contribution: https://www.patreon.com/swiftysgarage

The contribution will help make this forum ad free (and maybe some other benefits too).
So you don't really need to go anywhere else at all. Same Swifty's-Channel, same Swifty's-Time (24-7).... right here, right now: http://swiftysgarage.net/index/

There is also the Facebook page, but I guess it's sort of an addendum to the actual forum. It is a Closed Group, which means you might not be able to even see it unless you are logged on Facebook. I have limited access to Facebook on my work computer (and don't log on from there), so I don't know the actual situation nor can I provide a link.... unless..... I can access Facebook on my phone, so I checked the Swifty's Garage Facebook Info page and found this link:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/369001486480145/ - Now, I just tried it on my work computer, and nothing!!! All I get is the Facebook sign-in page. So it does look like you need to be signed in on Facebook to view the Swifty's Facebook page. Don't worry though, the forum here is the place to be!

Hope that helps a little.

:cb:
Edited by toyotageek, Dec 19 2017, 10:57 AM.

Pegers
Member Avatar
Convertible
Mike..thanks for the help.it might be my bullheadedness but i am getting nowhere...
so i will just talk to Sean and work out sending him a check..

Swifty
Member Avatar
The Mustang II is a Mustang too!
Send checks to Dean, not Sean. ;) I need to get one out to him myself!

250 TR
Member Avatar

Dan, you don't need Facebook. Click on Become a Patron from the link in the first post:

Posted Image

Then click the $1 reward, and you can then enter whatever amount you want, $1, $5, $7,452 or however much you want.

Posted Image

You'll then see the sign up page. Ignore the Facebook banner at the top, just enter your name, email and create a password, check the two check boxes and then go from there:

Posted Image

If you still have trouble, you can also send Paypal. I think there is a way to even sign up for recurring payments through Paypal. Of course a check is still welcome, but Patreon would make it automatic. If you decide to do Paypal the address is:

swiftysgarage@outlook.com

Pegers
Member Avatar
Convertible
Ben..thanks for the info...i am all squared away now.

jedimario
Member Avatar
RAWR
Thanks so much everyone for the support! I've gone ahead and turned ads off. I believe at our current level we should be able to keep them gone, but we'll have to let this play out for a bit before we know for sure.

juantoo3
Member Avatar
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nice! Thank you to everyone who pitched in!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · PA System · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

July's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations Huyken for winning July's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here

August's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations DinoMom for winning August's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here