Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Announcements (Updated: February 22, 2018)

Welcome to Swifty's Garage!

Thanks to all of you for making this board what it is today!

Attention new members: We would like to welcome you personally, so please introduce yourself. Click here: INTRODUCTIONS

For all the latest news and announcements, please click here: PA System

Thank you - The Swifty's Garage Team

This board is best viewed at 1024 x 768 Resolution

Car of the Week:

Hot Wheels 1982 Dodge Rampage

To learn more about the Hot Wheels '82 Dodge Rampage: Click Here
Welcome to Swifty's Garage. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Thank You,
The Swifty's Garage Team

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Display shelf / diorama
Topic Started: Feb 3 2018, 04:07 PM (685 Views)
Ripa
Member Avatar
Minivan
I started doing this on one of the shelves of my showcase. It is an actual shelf and when it is ready it will go into je showcase to display cars.

The upper and lower levels are to present cars in a row while the middle level is a road piece. Herr is where I am at after five hours

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

carsdownunder
Midsize
What a great idea, :thumbup:
The detailing is awesome , looking forward to seeing it put in.
How many shelves you got & Is the background of the showcase mirrored ?
you might need some extra lighting as well
Its always better to display them in there natural environment if you can IMO :toy:

toyotageek
Member Avatar
Japanese Minicar Maniac
Great idea! That looks simple, yet fantastic! Did you convert one of you existing shelf units? If I recall, your existing shelves are 3 step pieces.

carcollector
Member Avatar

Congrats for that idea, it's simple and it looks awesome! :toy: :thumbup:
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ripa
Member Avatar
Minivan
toyotageek
Feb 3 2018, 10:09 PM
Great idea! That looks simple, yet fantastic! Did you convert one of you existing shelf units? If I recall, your existing shelves are 3 step pieces.
Yes I did - the steps were not mounted with screws or glue before but now I glued them to the shelf. The problem is, that I can't just tilt the shelf and attach it to the showcase anymore because of its height - I need to remove the doors from the showcase at some point so I can just slide the shelf in there.

Ripa
Member Avatar
Minivan
carsdownunder
Feb 3 2018, 09:47 PM
How many shelves you got & Is the background of the showcase mirrored ?

In my three showcases there are around 34 shelves which I am slowly turning to hold boxes instead of loose cars as I run out of space. But as I can fit more cars to the boxes, I can display less but more nicely.

I don't have mirrors in the showcase, but I was planning to make a blue background to this one.

jedimario
Member Avatar
RAWR
That's fantastic! I bet it looks great once installed.

Ripa
Member Avatar
Minivan
I ripped off the upper level and I an going to leave it unattached. This way I should be able to fit that inside the showcase and when it is on place, just lay the upmost step onto the diorama. I applied one last coat of "basalt grey" asphalt on the lowest level and let it dry. After that I am testing to fit it into the showcase.

Ripa
Member Avatar
Minivan
Inside the showcase
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ripa
Member Avatar
Minivan
Filled with appropriate cars

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

FoolTrottel
Member Avatar
Fullsize
That's looks magnificent!

(So, now you need to upgrade the other shelves as well! :P )

Ripa
Member Avatar
Minivan
Ha! Working on the next one already, just need to get some supplies tomorrow from a hobby store

Posted Image

FoolTrottel
Member Avatar
Fullsize
:thumbup:

Ripa
Member Avatar
Minivan
Posted Image

Ripa
Member Avatar
Minivan
The new diorama got some sand and props.. and some buildings started to form on the background too

Posted Image

FoolTrottel
Member Avatar
Fullsize
Lovely!

64impala
Member Avatar
Fullsize
Awesomeee!! amazing idea for a shelf! :thumbup: :thumbup:

daytime dave
Microcar
Wow, that's a great idea and a very nice collection. Good work.

daniel60
Member Avatar
Muscle Car
Classy diorama.

toyotageek
Member Avatar
Japanese Minicar Maniac
Ha! I like the beach scene! Looks like it could be right here in one of our beach communities!

In both of your diorama shelves, I noticed some small "steps".... do you get them from the hobby shop, or make them?

Also, the background buildings from the beach scene... can we see more? Is it something you just happened to find, or did you find it somewhere specific? Amongst other ideas, I keep looking (not very hard though) for a Showa Era Japanese street scene to print out.... :cb:

Ripa
Member Avatar
Minivan
The steps are from an assortment by Auhagen, article number 48646, if there is a dealer for the brand. There might be similar assortment by Walthers (or the same assortment AS Walthers) available in the USA.

The background buildings are either of the following
- A complete facade picture found on the internet, scaled and printed
- Same as above but made partially 3D by adding window frames, glass, roof edge and/or steps
- Just windows printed out of the internet and the rest of the facade scratchbuilt from polystyrene sheets

Ripa
Member Avatar
Minivan
This KFC is just printed facade from the internet, scaled to around 1/64 with Photoshop

Posted Image

This liquor store is a printed out house facade, with added clear plastic sheet and over that polystyrene strips all around plus added printed pieces to make it a liquor store. The stand ad is also a printed piece which is glued to polystyrene piece and another on the back to make it stand. I still need to come up with something to smoothen the upper edges of the building - maybe to make the sign on top larger.

Posted Image

This Surf Shop is just a piece from Internet

Posted Image

This Surfboard rental shop is a printed facade of a random office with added pillars and flat roof piece. The roof is still in progress. On top of the roof is just a piece of polystyrene sheet with a printed sign from the internet

Posted Image

This barbershop is just two printed windows from the internet. The rest of the wall is scratchbuilt from polystyrene sheets and strips and the roof is a piece of a roof sheet which you can build from a model train store

Posted Image

toyotageek
Member Avatar
Japanese Minicar Maniac
Thanks you! That is so neat! I like to see how different people tackle these types of projects. While the basic principle is often the same, everyone has their own unique way of doing it.

I guess one of the things I'm also curious about, is how people search for images. It's easy to find images of businesses and buildings, but the angle of view isn't often straight on. Any key words or recommendations for searching?

Ripa
Member Avatar
Minivan
It is very hard to find images that are taken in front of the building with a perfect angle. You also want the windows not reflecting too much, no lights on inside the building and nothing in front of the building like people, plants, chairs and tables. Also an open door is not good.

When you search for them, you mostly end up with images on alamy or shutterstock, which are stock photo sources and have watermarked their pictures so you can not use those unless buying them.

I mostly use the word "front" or "frontal" when searching something, f.e. "surf shop front" and have selected from google setting only "large images"

I spent hours while searching for those facades and pictures for the signs, and scaling them.
Edited by Ripa, Feb 6 2018, 02:58 PM.

Ripa
Member Avatar
Minivan
Here's a collection which I printed for this diorama.. I need to rescale a couple facades as I counted the measurements wrong and they are now too big

Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Dioramas · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

September's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations FoolTrottel for winning September's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here

4th quarter 2017's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations guy64 for winning 4th quarter 2017's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here