Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Announcements (Updated: June 12, 2018)

Welcome to Swifty's Garage!

Thanks to all of you for making this board what it is today!

Attention new members: We would like to welcome you personally, so please introduce yourself. Click here: INTRODUCTIONS

For all the latest news and announcements, please click here: PA System

Thank you - The Swifty's Garage Team

This board is best viewed at 1024 x 768 Resolution

Car of the Week:

Revell 1977 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

Click Here: Revell '77 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
Welcome to Swifty's Garage. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Thank You,
The Swifty's Garage Team

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Comparison- 2016 Honda Civic Type R; Tarmac Works and Hot Wheels
Topic Started: Feb 4 2018, 03:12 PM (670 Views)
jedimario
Member Avatar
RAWR
Today I received my first ever Tarmac Works model in the mail, the 2016 Honda Civic Type R. Itís a beauty and I will definitely be after more from Tarmac Works in the future. However, this addition present a surprisingly uncommon scenario to me- the Tarmac Works has a nearly identical specification to another 1/64 Civic Type R in my collection, the recently released Hot Wheels. So, naturally, they need to be compared!

Posted Image

As you can see, even down to the wheels these things are pretty much identically specíd out. The only real difference is that the Hot Wheels is left hand drive while the Tarmac Works is right hand drive. They even both have the OEM style black wheels with a red rim.

Posted Image

Honestly, the biggest takeaway I had comparing these two models is that the Hot Wheels is very, very good once you consider price. Looking at the details, it lacks a few specifics but has most of the important things included. Things like the black door handle, spoiler, and mirrors are missing from the Hot Wheels. It also has parts bin wheels like every mainline, but even those are a good approximation of the real thing. We also see a solid red interior on the Hot Wheels, which looks nice but is not correct like the Tarmac Worksí mostly black interior with red seats and trim. Other than these minor things, the Hot Wheels is excellent. The tampo stamps are clear and accurate and there enough of them- more than Iíd expect from a mainline at this point, to be honest. And itís close enough to actual 1/64, which is not always a given with Mattel.

Posted Image

But make no mistake, the Tarmac Works version is far superior. It has all the trimmings you would expect considering its price and is thoroughly well executed. Multiple pieces for the spoiler and mirrors, jeweled lights, correct wheels with rubber tires...itís all there. Additionally, the casting itself is more accurate, particularly in rear fender flare area. To top it off, the Tarmac Works car has no defects, which is more than you can say for the vast majority of Hot Wheels cars these days. Of course, that comes down to a car-by-car basis, so your mileage may vary there.

Posted Image

The Tarmac Works is $20 USD+ shipping, unless youíre lucky enough to have a brick and mortar store local to you that carries it. Probably not, and if so, it may charge more than $20. Meanwhile, the Hot Wheels can be had at your local big box store for under $1. The Tarmac Works is a collectorís item, the Hot Wheels a toy. A very good toy, but a toy nonetheless. At the end of the day here, we have two excellent pieces that serve their intended purposes extremely well. If you want a collector piece and donít mind the cost, the Tarmac Works is the way to go. If you want something a little more durable or donít like spending double-digits on 1/64, the Hot Wheels is also a great replica of this car and will fit nicely in your collection.

Of course, if youíre like me, you just want both of them. Thatís ok too. Theyíre each well worth their respective cost.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

NUTHOUSE
Member Avatar
Station Wagon
I only have the Hot Wheels example as I have never even heard of the brand Tarmac Works until this thread. You said it best as the Hot Wheels version is a toy and the Tarmac Works is more of a collector's piece. For $20 I think I will keep the $1 toy in my collection. Great side-by-side comparison of the two! :thumbup:

jedimario
Member Avatar
RAWR
There is a cheaper line of Tarmac Works cars that I think go for $10. They are almost as nice as the $20 line, but the Civic is not part of it.

Stampede
Member Avatar
Team Canada
Great review! :thumbsup: Like you, the Civic was the first Tarmac Works model in my collection, along with the R8 from the Global64 (lower-tier) line. I originally wanted the Championship White version of the Tarmac in order to complement the Hot Wheels model (as you have done), but sadly the store didn't have them when I had it picked up. Fast forward two weeks later, they stocked the re-release of, you guess it, Championship White.

Looks like you might need to add the Tomica version to complete the trifecta...although I will say that the white on the Tomica is a little off.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

toyotageek
Member Avatar
Japanese Minicar Maniac
Nice comparison! Thanks for the write-up and photos!

The Hot Wheels really does look quite good for only a dollar!

jedimario
Member Avatar
RAWR
A third car joins the group! The Tomica brings a comparable level of detail to the Hot Wheels (a little less here, a little more there) and adds an opening hood and working suspension. From a detail perspective it's a wash, but it absolutely wins out as a toy. It ought to be better at something as it retails for $3-4 worth of Japanese yen.

Posted Image

Stampede
Member Avatar
Team Canada
Glad to see the Tomica join the group! As you mentioned, there are many good aspects to it (my favourite is the detail on the grille), but it's unfortunate the colour is a little off compared to the others.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jedimario
Member Avatar
RAWR
Yeah, the color is off. Sometimes Championship White looks a little off to me, sometimes it doesn't, but I'm not sure what Tomica was going for here.

JBH6666
Member Avatar
Fullsize
I have a set of the blue and white Tarmac Works Civics on order (have been back-ordered since January). Apparently there was a production flaw and the cars that had been shipped to the distributors had to be returned to be returned to the manufacturer to be destroyed. I paid $25.00 for the pair including shipping- so I'd say $10.00 per car sounds about right.

From the side by side photos, I am amazed at how good the Hot Wheels version looks in comparison. The tampo is quite good on the HW, and while the Tarmac Works car is clearly better in every way- I don't think you could say it is 10 times better. I'm hoping I'll be more impressed with the TW cars when (if ) I finally get them.

jedimario
Member Avatar
RAWR
I think you are mixing up Tarnac Works and Mini GT.

JBH6666
Member Avatar
Fullsize
jedimario
Apr 4 2018, 01:27 PM
I think you are mixing up Tarnac Works and Mini GT.
You are absolutely right. It's been so long since I ordered them I forgot the manufacturer! My bad.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Collector's Corner · Next Topic »
Add Reply

September's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations FoolTrottel for winning September's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here

4th quarter 2017's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations guy64 for winning 4th quarter 2017's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here