Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Announcements (Updated: July 17, 2018)

Welcome to Swifty's Garage!

Thanks to all of you for making this board what it is today!

Attention new members: We would like to welcome you personally, so please introduce yourself. Click here: INTRODUCTIONS

For all the latest news and announcements, please click here: PA System

Thank you - The Swifty's Garage Team

This board is best viewed at 1024 x 768 Resolution

Car of the Week:

Tomica 1986 Mazda RX-7

Click Here: Tomica '86 Mazda RX-7
Welcome to Swifty's Garage. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Thank You,
The Swifty's Garage Team

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Car Of The Day: February 27, 2018; Hot Wheels / Bandai '39 Humber Super Snipe
Topic Started: Feb 27 2018, 02:41 AM (531 Views)
Dean-o-mite
Member Avatar
Muscle Car

Posted Image

Today's car of the day is Hot Wheels / Bandai's 1939 Humber Super Snipe.

Posted Image

Wikipedia

The Humber Super Snipe is a car which was produced from 1938 to 1967 by British-based Humber Limited. The Super Snipe was introduced in October 1938, derived by combining the four-liter inline six-cylinder engine from the larger Humber Pullman with the chassis and body of the Humber Snipe, normally powered by a three-liter engine. The result was a car of enhanced performance and a top speed of 79 mph (127 km/h) -fast for its day. Its design was contributed to by American engine genius Delmar "Barney" Roos who left a successful career at Studebaker to join Rootes in 1936. The Super Snipe was marketed to upper-middle-class managers, professional people and government officials. It was relatively low-priced for its large size and performance, and was similar to American cars in appearance and concept, and in providing value for money. Within a year of introduction, World War II broke out in Europe but the car continued in production as a British military staff car, the Car, 4-seater, 4x2, while the same chassis was used for an armored reconnaissance vehicle, the Humber Light Reconnaissance Car.

Posted Image

For more information and pictures of the real car please visit: Humber Super Snipe

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is the first Humber diecast to be featured as Car Of The Day. This Humber Super Snipe was part of the Charawheels line, from both Hot Wheels and Bandai (both trademarks appear on packaging and base of the car). Charawheels was sort of a Japan version of "Hollywood On Wheels," featuring cars from TV, film and animation. The Humber Super Snipe was from an animated series called "Lupin The Third," which also featured a yellow Fiat 500 and a pink Citroen 2CV, both of which were also replicated by Hot Wheels / Bandai. This model is a bit larger than 1/64, but the dimensions vary, as is often the case with diecast. I scaled out the width at just under 1/59, while the length measures out to just under 1/52 scale. A comparison photo is included below with a Hot Wheels Range Rover.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wikipedia

While the post-World War II home market for the car continued as before, the Rootes Group also marketed the car for export. The Super Snipe was assembled in Australia, commencing in 1953 with the Mark IV. From 1956 the car was available with automatic transmission, but the model was discontinued shortly afterwards. Super Snipes were also assembled in New Zealand for a number of years by Rootes Group and Chrysler importer Todd Motors which later became Mitsubishi New Zealand. The Mark I was essentially a 6-cylinder female version of the 1945 Humber Hawk, itself a facelifted pre-war car. A version of the 1930s Snipe remained available, with the 1936-introduced 2731 cc engine. However, the standard Super Snipe engine was the 4086cc side-valve engine that had appeared in the Humber Pullman nearly a decade earlier, in 1936, and which would continue to power post-war Super Snipes until 1952. Throughout the years 1936-1952 the maximum power output of the engine was always given by the manufacturer as 100 bhp at 3400 rpm.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dean-o-mite
Member Avatar
Muscle Car
A screencap from the show:

Posted Image

Attached to this post:
Attachments: Lupin_The_Third_Car_Chase.jpg (173.4 KB)

250 TR
Member Avatar

What are the odds? I hadn't thought about this model in years and found myself searching EBay for it earlier tonight and then here it is as COTD.

juantoo3
Member Avatar
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I didn't know about this one either....so many of the Charawheels models were unfamiliar to me, and so many of them!

Sounds like all 3 mentioned I would like...maybe time to give Charawheels another look...

Dean-o-mite
Member Avatar
Muscle Car
juantoo3
Feb 27 2018, 08:18 AM
I didn't know about this one either....so many of the Charawheels models were unfamiliar to me, and so many of them!

Sounds like all 3 mentioned I would like...maybe time to give Charawheels another look...
Most of the Charawheels are very accurately close to 1/64 scale; the Lupin The Third trio is the exception, being a bit larger scale, but still within acceptable scale standards (and the Fiat & Citroen look the part very well, being smaller cars).

toyotageek
Member Avatar
Japanese Minicar Maniac
I need to confirm, but I think "Charawheels" is a conglomeration of "Character Wheels"

From the Hot Wheels Wiki:
Quote:

Hot Wheels / Charawheels / Bandai were produced exclusively for the Japanese market between 2002 - 2004. The models are approximately 1:64 scale vehicles and are based on movies and television shows that were popular in Japan at that time.

Pegers
Member Avatar
Pony Car
this is the 1st Charawheels that i like enough to hunt for.

tksjohn
Member Avatar
Station Wagon
I'm very happy I came across this thread as my buddy has a silver last gen Prelude. He knows how much die-cast I have and was surprised to hear that there has been next to no die-cast of his car in any scale. I have a 1/43 Modifier of the 2001 style Prelude but that is it. I'm not pulling the trigger on this for the prices they are currently asking for on eBay ($30+) but very excited to see this casting is in existence!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Swifty
Member Avatar
The Mustang II is a Mustang too!
I've toyed with adding the Humber to my collection over the years. I seem to recall it comes with figures on the sides - I was never sure if those were removable or not. Now that I know they come off, I want one! thanks Dean!

ivantt
Member Avatar
New casting? Quick! Take it apart!
Well, well, what a car the above is! The packaging, the graphics, the TV show looks of the car, etc. are very eye catching. A real conversation piece for someone's collection. Dated 1997, this one probably collects quite a few dollars more than I think.

pjedsel
Member Avatar
Muscle Car
Very nice - this is certainly a model I would not mind adding to my collection. This is the first I knew about this one so appreciate seeing it as part of the COTD offering.

94cadillacfleetwood
Member Avatar
Nothing good ever happens after midnight.
I like this!

I've actually seen Lupin, from when my son was into anime a couple years back, and I never knew that there was a diecast series! By Hot Wheels no less!

Stangfreak
Member Avatar
Convertible
One extremely sharp model here!!!

kozi
Microcar
Those cars are fiat 500, Citroen 2 cv, Humber Super Snipe. It is a very high quality die cast car. The price was 3800 jpy.(3cars 1 set)
Edited by kozi, Mar 16 2018, 12:10 AM.

jurcpa
Fullsize
ohhhh many thanks for pictures ,and info ,great never saw before !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

jurcpa
Fullsize
jurcpa
Mar 16 2018, 07:48 AM
ohhhh many thanks for pictures ,and info ,great never saw before !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: sorry find into my collection :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Car Of The Day · Next Topic »
Add Reply

March's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations DinoMom for winning March's contest!

April's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations carsdownunder for winning April's contest!