Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Announcements (Updated: April 17, 2018)

Welcome to Swifty's Garage!

Thanks to all of you for making this board what it is today!

Attention new members: We would like to welcome you personally, so please introduce yourself. Click here: INTRODUCTIONS

For all the latest news and announcements, please click here: PA System

Thank you - The Swifty's Garage Team

This board is best viewed at 1024 x 768 Resolution

Car of the Week:

Playart 1977 Chevrolet Caprice

To learn more about the Playart '77 Chevrolet Caprice: Click Here
Welcome to Swifty's Garage. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Thank You,
The Swifty's Garage Team

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Shrock Brothers
Topic Started: Nov 2 2010, 07:27 PM (127 Views)
DaWeber
Member Avatar
Station Wagon
This firm is located in the mountains of Central Pennsylvania in Coalport. This is truly a "Mom and Pop" operation .
Dave and Tom Shrock started producing miniature car models in 1960 as a separate business branch of their body shop oprtations. They only produce models of Studebakers or related vehicles. They first made plastic 1:43 scale models. Then they began using pewter as their media . Since then , they also dabbled in pewter production of 1:43 and 1:55 scale models before settling on 1:72 scale replica production in 1994 . They still produce some of these models at present. Since about only 20 models are cast at a time, models in demand disappear quickly.

The quality of these miniatures is par excellance! The details are amazing. I recall Dave telling me that he spent as much time designing the radiator cap on the 1934 car as he did on the entire radiator/ grille. Many of these models have detailed dashboards and some even festure chrome steering wheel horn rims . There are also stick shift levers inserted in the respective models where required. Their website is www,shrockbrothers.com and all their products are displayed; both previous and those presently available.

As with everything else, costs have increased over the years . Most of the regular models now sell for $95 each ; whereas only a few years ago they were listed in the $70 range. Some people quetion why the high cost? This is because pewter is not an inexpensive metal and the Brothers now depend on earning a living from production of these castings and replacement Studebaker body parts. Auto body repair work has disappeared in their area.

Oh yes, there is a real "Mom" involed also. She is Fran, Dave's wife and is reaponsible for the hand painted detailing on the cars, Dave does the designing and makingof the brassmaster while Tom is basically responsible for the casting procedures.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Swifty
Member Avatar
The Mustang II is a Mustang too!
Expensive, but worth every single penny:

Dean-o-mite
Member Avatar
Pony Car
I doubt I could see myself purchasing one of these due to the cost, however I have never truly needed to pose the question to myself based on the fact that the wheels are molded solid with the body. One of my collecting rules, along with a windshield (as discussed earlier), is that a model's wheels must somehow roll.

Dean

KimmoSahakangas
Member Avatar
Station Wagon
These replicas are bit steep in the $$ department; however, I imagine those collectors are focused on a particular marque or are very selective with standard diecast offerings and probably never purchase variations of any sort.

Thanks,

Kimmo

pjedsel
Member Avatar
Muscle Car
:toy: Dave Weber introduced me to the Schrock Bros Studebaker models a few years ago - they are some nice looking rides. I told my wife she could start getting me pewter items when we celebrate our wedding anniversary and she gave me one of those "now what did you find that you want?" looks! For a marque like Studebaker - which doesn't have a lot of representation in small scale diecast - the Schrock models are great They cover more than just the '53 or the bullet nose Studies - pretty well can build a history of the Studebaker line with their models. In many ways, I wish they still did some of their 1/55th models.

DaWeber
Member Avatar
Station Wagon
Dean-o
Nov 3 2010, 12:18 AM
I doubt I could see myself purchasing one of these due to the cost, however I have never truly needed to pose the question to myself based on the fact that the wheels are molded solid with the body. One of my collecting rules, along with a windshield (as discussed earlier), is that a model's wheels must somehow roll.

Dean
Dean
Sorry to disagree with you, but none of the Shrock models have stationary wheels. All roll freely . Try one, I guarantee you will like it!
Edited by DaWeber, Nov 4 2010, 05:56 PM.

Dean-o-mite
Member Avatar
Pony Car
Is that a recent feature? I had two sources (you being one, Dave) tell me years ago, when these were new to the market, that the wheels were molded to the body, and did not roll.

If the wheels roll, I know I'd like them, but still the cost is prohibitive. Its a rare occasion when I'll spend that much on a 1/18 model I really like. Still, it would be something to ponder...

Dean

Sak
Member Avatar
Ezekiel 25:17
Dean-o
Nov 3 2010, 12:18 AM

Dean
They always rolled.

The ones you're thinking of are of recent vintage, and are from either Argentina or Brazil. Dave was able to get them from a source, but I turned it down precisely because the wheels didn't roll. Shrocks roll.

DaWeber
Member Avatar
Station Wagon
You guys are thinking of Automodelli in Brazil. However, however they are now only producing models in resin. These also have stationary wheels. Dean , Shrocks have been in business way before I contacted them in the early 2000s. Their price per car onl;y increased within the last few years. It had been at $65 for approx 2 decades. I wondered how they could make a profit at that price. Apparently,they realized this also. Years ago, I learned that it cost a large diecast producer over $80,000 to get a new casting to market! I imagine the cost is even more now. In turn they had to sell 80,000 models to break even. Shrocks don't have that size market, yet their expenses are high to produce a new casting with only 20 being made at a time! The 2 products cannot be equalized . Shrocks are a specialized limited production operation and do not have the opportunity of being massproduced for the general public. You owe yourself to get one . You will like it for detail and quality of being completely hand built. Show me a MB or HWs that has the same characteristics!

Swifty
Member Avatar
DaWeber
Nov 5 2010, 03:09 PM
Years ago, I learned that it cost a large diecast producer over $80,000 to get a new casting to market! I imagine the cost is even more now. In turn they had to sell 80,000 models to break even.
And that's before materials and labor are factored into the equation.

jurcpa
Fullsize
I have many many studes from this fantastic builder ,one of the best details and very very heavy and rare,a must !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hammer series,many thanks to Davis Shrock and his team

jurcpa
Fullsize
forget to send this infos to all collectors,automodelli in Brazil planning this small cars,but never made,very sorry
ford puma,ford landau,simca chambord,vw sp2, the dodge charger rt 76 and the chevrolet opala made,and is into my collection,other news from automodelli Brazil in 1/64 ?? look www.automodelli.com.br

jurcpa
Fullsize
hello friends and shrock car enthusiasts :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :toy: :toy: :toy: :toy: :wave: :wave: :wave: :1: :1: :1: :1: ,my friend Dave Weber send me a mail and its wonderfull, Dave Shrock build a new very old 1946 tucker torpedo ,for 175 USD,not cheap but rare will mada not so much cars think 50 , www.shrockbrothers.com link new cars
hope its help and happy collecting :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :toy: :toy: :toy: :blush: :blush: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :bangles: :bangles: :fiddle: :fiddle: :fiddle: :fiddle: :fiddle: :fiddle: :flame: :flame: :flame:

Swifty
Member Avatar
http://www.shrockbrothers.com/toy_images/72nd_1946_Tucker_Torpedo.JPG

juantoo3
Member Avatar
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Intriguing...especially since I recently read the last Shrock had been made, that there would be no more.

pjedsel
Member Avatar
Muscle Car
That had been my understanding as well - last time I went to their web site they had very little listed as being available although I do see they have a small assortment of models listed under their new models - so maybe they have decided to start production again. Also see the price on the 1/72nd pieces is now at $120 apiece for most of them. They are extremely nice models but...sadly price over the years kept me from adding some of their other offerings.

jurcpa
Fullsize
jurcpa
Mar 2 2018, 10:45 AM
hello friends and shrock car enthusiasts :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :toy: :toy: :toy: :toy: :wave: :wave: :wave: :1: :1: :1: :1: ,my friend Dave Weber send me a mail and its wonderfull, Dave Shrock build a new very old 1946 tucker torpedo ,for 175 USD,not cheap but rare will mada not so much cars think 50 , www.shrockbrothers.com link new cars
hope its help and happy collecting :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :toy: :toy: :toy: :blush: :blush: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :bangles: :bangles: :fiddle: :fiddle: :fiddle: :fiddle: :fiddle: :fiddle: :flame: :flame: :flame:
:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: received this tucker today,great style,top color and more 1/64 as 1/72 a hammer car super :fiddle: :fiddle: :fiddle: :fiddle: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1:

DaWeber
Member Avatar
Station Wagon
The Torpedo model just completed by Shrocks is of the first design of 4 suggested by Tucker for his new car . It is quite different than the final result of the "48" car. The torpedo was never produced in full scale until recently. IDA Concepts in NJ who has done some other Tucker reproductions is making a fullsize Torpedo. It was shown at the Hersey PA show late in 2017.
If one searches on the Internet they can find mention about it!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · A To Z Small Scale Toy Cars · Next Topic »
Add Reply

September's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations FoolTrottel for winning September's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here

4th quarter 2017's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations guy64 for winning 4th quarter 2017's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here