Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Announcements (Updated: July 17, 2018)

Welcome to Swifty's Garage!

Thanks to all of you for making this board what it is today!

Attention new members: We would like to welcome you personally, so please introduce yourself. Click here: INTRODUCTIONS

For all the latest news and announcements, please click here: PA System

Thank you - The Swifty's Garage Team

This board is best viewed at 1024 x 768 Resolution

Car of the Week:

Tomica 1986 Mazda RX-7

Click Here: Tomica '86 Mazda RX-7
Welcome to Swifty's Garage. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Thank You,
The Swifty's Garage Team

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Route 66 ~ Proud & Glad
Topic Started: Mar 12 2018, 08:21 AM (451 Views)
Stangfreak
Member Avatar
Convertible
I first seen these on the shelf of one of the larger Toys~R~Us stores in Columbus Ohio, right after Thanksgiving. I believe there were 6 of them if I remember correctly. The price tag was $79.95. I can't remember the exact year, but I am thinking around 2007. The cars in this set was very, very good looking cars with 1 Green Machine in the middle. I wanted this set, but wasn't crazy about that price tag at all. I kinda gave up on the idea of buying it and went on about other business. I was working on that far end of town again just before spring and popped into the TRU again. All the GL sets were gone except one. Someone had somehow got into the box and stole the Green Machine Mustang from the center of the display. No damage to the box at all. You couldn't really tell it had been opened. I inquired with the manager about knocking some money off due to the missing car, but only came down 5 bucks, leaving the price at $74.95. Still too much, so I put it back. Again in mid summer I was assigned another job in that area of town and again popped in to TRU to discover this same set was still on the bottom of the shelf. Again I approached the manager and inquired about a discount. I also informed him this set had been on that shelf for over 6 months and hasn't sold. He thought about it and gave me a price of $59.95 and I scooped it up. I bought the same MUstang that was originally in the set, but not a Greenie and stuck it in there and sealed the box. (Don't collect Greenies)...
I am very, very proud to have acquired this set and glad it waited all those months to go home with me!!!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

One gorgeous set of GL cars!!!

Posted Image
Edited by Stangfreak, Mar 12 2018, 08:51 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Stangfreak
Member Avatar
Convertible
Greenlight used to have some amazing sets available, such as the dioramas, the two car sets and 5 car sets. You don't see these anymore.
A meijer store close by where I live had a great supply of these and I bought everyone as I found them...

Diorama Sets: @$8.99 ea.

Posted Image

2 Car Sets: @$6.99 ea.
Posted Image

5 Car Sets: @$10.99 ea.
Posted Image

I do not know if there were any other variations of these sets or not, but these were the ones I did acquire. They did not seem to sell quickly. I bought several of the same ones to open and to distribute to my 6 grandsons. They seemed to be plentiful at that time!!!
I have roughly $275.00 wrapped up in what is pictured here. 20 dio sets, 8 2 car sets, and 3 5 car sets. Now that the single GL cars have reached a price tag of 7 dollars each, I could only imagine what these would sell for today!!!
Edited by Stangfreak, Mar 12 2018, 08:57 AM.

Stangfreak
Member Avatar
Convertible
All very, very proudly displayed on this one shelf in my toy room...

Posted Image

6A13TT
Member Avatar
Compact
Stangfreak
Mar 12 2018, 08:49 AM
Greenlight used to have some amazing sets available, such as the dioramas, the two car sets and 5 car sets. You don't see these anymore.
A meijer store close by where I live had a great supply of these and I bought everyone as I found them...

Diorama Sets: @$8.99 ea.

Posted Image

2 Car Sets: @$6.99 ea.
Posted Image

5 Car Sets: @$10.99 ea.
Posted Image

I do not know if there were any other variations of these sets or not, but these were the ones I did acquire. They did not seem to sell quickly. I bought several of the same ones to open and to distribute to my 6 grandsons. They seemed to be plentiful at that time!!!
I have roughly $275.00 wrapped up in what is pictured here. 20 dio sets, 8 2 car sets, and 3 5 car sets. Now that the single GL cars have reached a price tag of 7 dollars each, I could only imagine what these would sell for today!!!
The sight of those rubber bands on the vehicles makes me cringe. you gotta open models with rubber bands holding parts shut as it risks the damage of the vehicles paint if you keep them sealed (due to them sticking to the paint).

webestang64
Member Avatar
Minivan
Always wanted that set but it has always been to much to pay.

FYI....every time I drive out of my apartment complex it is right onto Route 66. :thumbup:

daytime dave
Member Avatar
Compact
A very impressive display in the toy room. Very cool.

b2young
Member Avatar
Sad firefighter
There were several other multipacks, like the US Army 5-car set, the Camping sets (with 4 vehicles each), and more. Here they are from my collection:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

There might be others too in my collection, but these are the ones I immediately remember.

94cadillacfleetwood
Member Avatar
Nothing good ever happens after midnight.
I remember seeing these when they came out around 2011. I only wanted the Galaxie and the 300K, didn't justify paying $80 for 2 cars. Found both of them on the Bay within the last couple years for reasonable prices. Patience is sometimes your friend.

6A13TT
Member Avatar
Compact
webestang64
Mar 13 2018, 01:23 PM
Always wanted that set but it has always been to much to pay.

FYI....every time I drive out of my apartment complex it is right onto Route 66. :thumbup:
I can see why Greenlight doesn't make sets that big anymore, it't too much to pay for a couple of variations of castings that you really want. it would be better to release smaller sets with already done models as there is less chance of people thieving out certain models.

Vintage20
Fullsize
I remember when they came out. I bought a couple sets back then. Due to the high price they eventually became shelf warmers and many of the boxes got opened or damaged and the price kept dropping after being on the shelves over a year. The finally were clearanced for $19.99 and sold out. Wish I picked up a few more then.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Bay 4: GreenLight · Next Topic »
Add Reply

March's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations DinoMom for winning March's contest!

April's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations carsdownunder for winning April's contest!