Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Announcements (Updated: July 17, 2018)

Welcome to Swifty's Garage!

Thanks to all of you for making this board what it is today!

Attention new members: We would like to welcome you personally, so please introduce yourself. Click here: INTRODUCTIONS

For all the latest news and announcements, please click here: PA System

Thank you - The Swifty's Garage Team

This board is best viewed at 1024 x 768 Resolution

Car of the Week:

Tomica 1986 Mazda RX-7

Click Here: Tomica '86 Mazda RX-7
Welcome to Swifty's Garage. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Thank You,
The Swifty's Garage Team

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Car Of The Day: March 13, 2018; Garland '96 Nissan Skyline GTS-T
Topic Started: Mar 13 2018, 02:31 AM (199 Views)
Dean-o-mite
Member Avatar
Muscle Car

Posted Image

Today's car of the day is Garland's 1996 Nissan Skyline GTS-T (R33).

Posted Image

Wikipedia

The Nissan Skyline is a line of compact cars, sports cars and compact executive cars originally produced by the Prince Motor Company starting in 1957, and then by Nissan after the two companies merged in 1967. The later models are most commonly known by their trademark round brake and tail lights (as of 1972). While not distributed in the United States until its importation as the Infiniti G, the Skyline's prominence in video games, movies and magazines resulted in many such cars being imported there from 1989 to late 2005. The majority of Skyline models are rear-wheel drive, with four-wheel drive being available since the eighth-generation's debut. The R33 Skyline was introduced in August 1993. Slightly heavier than the R32, it was available in coupe and sedan body configurations.

Posted Image

For more information and pictures of the real car please visit: Nissan Skyline

Posted Image

Posted Image

Garland is a Japanese brand which produced only two castings in the late 1990's (the other was a Prince Skyline sedan). Somehow, I went approximately 20 years without knowing of this brand's existence. After learning of the brand just a few months back, I asked and was able to get a couple of the Garland models from Jeff Koch, who specializes in selling Japanese models and diecast. The Garland R33 Skyline is interestingly unique in that it represents the Skyline GTS-T instead of the more famous top-of-the-line GT-R. The most prominent visual distinction for the '96 and newer GTS-T model is the dual round lights under the headlights.

Posted Image

Wikipedia

The R33 Skyline (Spec 2) continued the concepts introduced in the R32. Driver and Passenger airbags became standard in 1996. As a result, pre-1996 models are barred from being imported into various countries for consumer road use as they do not meet the frontal impact standards. (However, in the U.S., there are Federal Laws regarding safety and emissions that require certain documents to be obtained, certain criteria to be met and adhered to, or 25 years to pass, before the sale of this vehicle becomes legal.) For the RB25DET engine the ignition system was also changed, with the ignition module no longer located on the cam covers and was instead replaced by smart ignition coils (Ignitor built into coil) and ECU. The RB25DET's turbo was also given a nylon compressor wheel to improve response. Throughout the time the R33 was produced there were quite a number of different styled lights and bodykits fitted, the actual body/chassis underwent no changes. Among the cosmetic changes in the spec 2 were, the headlights which tapered down more towards the grill and were fitted with improved reflectors, the grill (which was longer on the Spec 1), the bonnet which had a re-shaped leading edge to fit the new lights and front bumper changing shape in the smallest amount to match the lower edge of the new headlights.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

toyotageek
Member Avatar
Japanese Minicar Maniac
Oh... Okay. This is new to me. Looks like a phone call to Jeff is in order....

Did you get the Prince also?

And how did you learn about Garland? Was it through Jeff?

tksjohn
Member Avatar
Station Wagon
This is AWESOME!I definitely want to get my hands on one, but one hasn't even been listed recently, at least the R33 has not

Dean-o-mite
Member Avatar
Muscle Car
toyotageek
Mar 13 2018, 08:36 AM

My first exposure was on Instagram; "Atencio" had shown one he got from Jeff. I think Jeff posted this gray one for sale on Instagram and I jumped, as I don't recall asking for one on my own.

Jeff didn't have any of the Prince, so I resorted to ebay.

ivantt
Member Avatar
New casting? Quick! Take it apart!
This is a VERY VERY nice Skyline.

Pegers
Member Avatar
Pony Car
:thumbup: :thumbup: it has the look of an every day car...very nice.

juantoo3
Member Avatar
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

toyotageek
Mar 13 2018, 08:36 AM

^This. Ditto! Ditto!

I see the answer...that is such a unique offering. It is a classy looking *stock* personal luxury boat that only happens to be Japanese, and an obscure maker to boot!
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

pjedsel
Member Avatar
Muscle Car
Garland - definitely a new brand to me. When I first looked at the picture my brain said Hongwell. :rolleyes: Nice looking model - wonder why they only made two models???

94cadillacfleetwood
Member Avatar
Nothing good ever happens after midnight.
Nice,nice, very nice...Just unique enough that now I want one!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Car Of The Day · Next Topic »
Add Reply

March's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations DinoMom for winning March's contest!

April's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations carsdownunder for winning April's contest!