Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Announcements (Updated: May 22, 2018)

Welcome to Swifty's Garage!

Thanks to all of you for making this board what it is today!

Attention new members: We would like to welcome you personally, so please introduce yourself. Click here: INTRODUCTIONS

For all the latest news and announcements, please click here: PA System

Thank you - The Swifty's Garage Team

This board is best viewed at 1024 x 768 Resolution

Car of the Week:

Neo Scale Models 1977 Lincoln Continental Mark V

To learn more about the Neo '77 Lincoln Mark V: Click Here
Welcome to Swifty's Garage. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Thank You,
The Swifty's Garage Team

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Car Of The Day: April 4, 2018; Playart '77 Chevrolet Caprice Classic
Topic Started: Apr 4 2018, 03:59 AM (383 Views)
Dean-o-mite
Member Avatar
Pony Car

Posted Image

Today's car of the day is Playart's 1977 Chevrolet Caprice Classic.

Posted Image

Wikipedia

The Chevrolet Caprice is a full-sized automobile produced by Chevrolet in North America for the 1965 to 1996 model years. The 1977 Caprice Classic was drastically downsized, which reduced its weight and exterior dimensions, while increasing headroom, rear seat legroom and trunk space compared to 1976 models. Although by modern standards the 1977 downsized Chevrolet cars are quite large, the new Chevrolet had exterior dimensions closer to the intermediates of its day. In fact the 1977 Caprice shared the same 116-inch (2,900 mm) wheelbase of the intermediate sized Chevrolet Chevelle, and 1977 marked the first, and only, year in history that a midsized car, the Monte Carlo, was larger than a full sized car. All 1977 models were named Caprice Classics. A V8 engine was no longer standard equipment for the first time since 1965. The base engine for 1977 Chevrolet Caprice coupes and sedans was Chevy's long-running 250 cu in (4.1 L) six-cylinder powerplant rated at 110 hp. This engine was last available in a full-size Chevy in 1973 in the lower-line Bel Air. Standard on station wagons and optional on other Caprice models was a 145 hp 2-barrel 305 cu in (5.0 L) version of the Chevy's small-block V8. This was the first year the 305 cu in had been used in a full-size Chevrolet; it was first introduced in 1976 in compact and mid-sized Chevrolet lines. A 170 hp 350 cu in (5.7 L) V8 with four-barrel carburetor was now the top engine offering as the larger 400 cu in (6.6 L) and 454 cu in (7.4 L) V8s were discontinued. Standard for all models was the three-speed Turbo Hydra-Matic automatic transmission.

Posted Image

For more information and pictures of the real car please visit: Chevrolet Caprice

Posted Image

Posted Image

10 years ago, April 4th was a Sunday, and a Matchbox El Camino kicked off a week's worth of Chevrolet COTD diecast. This Playart Chevrolet Caprice is a nod to the anniversary of
"Chevy Week," but tomorrow, it is back to business as usual, and there isn't another Chevrolet scheduled for tomorrow.

Posted Image

Wikipedia

With the new lighter weight and smaller engines, Chevrolet promised increase fuel economy without great loss of performance compared to 1976 models. The EPA estimates for 1977 Chevrolet was 17 miles per US gallon city and 22 miles per US gallon highway for six-cylinder models. The 1977 models became the number one selling car in the United States. (In 1976, the previous generation full-size Chevrolet was the third best seller). More than 660,000 full-size Chevrolets were produced for the 1977 model year, with the most popular model being the four-door Caprice Classic sedan (212,840 produced). By 1978 more than 1 million downsized Chevrolets had been produced.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

craftymore
Member Avatar
Support your local demo derby.

Playart got the body right but the front bumper and grill should be curved a bit and not flat. I have a yellow taxi version I scored at a flea market years ago. These days this isn't a super common model to find but not rare either. I like it.

tksjohn
Member Avatar
Fullsize
I love the color on this one, looks great!

pjedsel
Member Avatar
Muscle Car
Was Playart the only one to do this generation of Caprice? I have the police and fire chief versions in my collection. My civilian version was orange if I recall.
Edited by pjedsel, Apr 4 2018, 01:53 PM.

Pegers
Member Avatar
Pony Car
in a different color it would be a real keeper.

Swifty
Member Avatar
The Mustang II is a Mustang too!
pjedsel
Apr 4 2018, 09:09 AM
Was Playart the only one to do this generation of Caprice? I have the police and fire chief versions in my collection. My civilian version was orange if I recall.
As a strictly civilian car, yes. Majorette did it as an Impala (also as a police car), and Ertl did a coupe as a NASCAR racer. There's a plastic Novacar version of the Majorette casting (without opening doors), and I'm pretty sure I've seen at least one other knock-off of that casting over the years as well.

I want to point out I love the color of this one!
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

juantoo3
Member Avatar
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As classic as this casting is, I would be surprised if it had not already been run before. Probably a Police version, maybe the Taxi, but I want to believe this is not the first time in all these years!

JeepXJLover
Member Avatar
Minivan
WOW! I want one.

94cadillacfleetwood
Member Avatar
Nothing good ever happens after midnight.
Love this one! I found mine at a toy and train show back about 1998 for a dollar. Found a whole boatload of neat 70s and 80s diecast there for under a dollar. Those were the days...

I have the fire and taxi versions as well- was there a police version as well? I seem to think so, but maybe I'm thinking of the Majorette.

Dean-o-mite
Member Avatar
Pony Car
Police version was available, as well. This exact one was destroyed in my melting fiasco, but I may have a nicer one now, if memory serves.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dean-o-mite
Member Avatar
Pony Car
Military Staff car

Posted Image

Dean-o-mite
Member Avatar
Pony Car
Fire

Posted Image

Dean-o-mite
Member Avatar
Pony Car
Taxi - two variations. (Sorry for the one-at-a-time posts. I'm on my phone, copying them from the Database).

older wheels
Posted Image

newer wheels
Posted Image

Posted Image

Dean-o-mite
Member Avatar
Pony Car
juantoo3
Apr 5 2018, 07:44 AM
As classic as this casting is, I would be surprised if it had not already been run before. Probably a Police version, maybe the Taxi, but I want to believe this is not the first time in all these years!
Surprise!!! None of the above have been featured as COTD prior to this.

pjedsel
Member Avatar
Muscle Car
Oh yeah...forgot about the Army staff car version.

ivantt
Member Avatar
New casting? Quick! Take it apart!
Taxi and cop car are good ones.

94cadillacfleetwood
Member Avatar
Nothing good ever happens after midnight.
Thanks Dean for the police version-didn't realize there was an Army staff car version as well!

64impala
Member Avatar
Fullsize
I feel the '77 - '90 full sized chevy's are one of the most over looked vehicles among diecast manufactures. It would be great to see GL bring one out. Not to mention it could double as a police vehicle for their hot pursuit series.

JeepXJLover
Member Avatar
Minivan
64impala
Apr 11 2018, 09:24 PM
I feel the '77 - '90 full sized chevy's are one of the most over looked vehicles among diecast manufactures. It would be great to see GL bring one out. Not to mention it could double as a police vehicle for their hot pursuit series.
^^^^this

corvairjim
Member Avatar
Midsize
I never knew this car was ever offered in 1:64. I've wanted to find one for a long time, having a soft spot for the line. My family had a '77 Impala wagon when I was in my teens.

426maxwedgie
Member Avatar
Running in the 90's
The military staff car version is in my collection. Didn't know a civilian version was made, and in pink nonetheless!
Edited by 426maxwedgie, Apr 12 2018, 07:03 PM.

HWJOE
Member Avatar
Fullsize
Don't forget the olive green sedan!

microbuss
Member Avatar
SUV
hey Swifty
fyi Majorette also made this as a Taxi Cab too
tho the Taxi did retain the overhead police lights but in amber colors :lol:

also was done in their large sizes too
Posted Image
I have both hehe ^_^

also this design was made until 1990 ;)
Attached to this post:
Attachments: SAM_2150.jpg (121.47 KB)
Edited by microbuss, Apr 17 2018, 11:54 AM.

Dom6698
Compact
I think this one may be based on the Corgi 1/36 model. I know the Mazda B1600 looks like it is also based on Corgiís 1/36 version.

jurcpa
Fullsize
I love the name,the color and the style ,nice car,thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Car Of The Day · Next Topic »
Add Reply

September's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations FoolTrottel for winning September's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here

4th quarter 2017's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations guy64 for winning 4th quarter 2017's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here