Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Announcements (Updated: August 14, 2018)

Welcome to Swifty's Garage!

Thanks to all of you for making this board what it is today!

Attention new members: We would like to welcome you personally, so please introduce yourself. Click here: INTRODUCTIONS

For all the latest news and announcements, please click here: PA System

Thank you - The Swifty's Garage Team

This board is best viewed at 1024 x 768 Resolution

Car of the Week:

M2 1970 Chevrolet C60 custom pickup

Click Here: M2 '70 Chevrolet C60
Welcome to Swifty's Garage. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Thank You,
The Swifty's Garage Team

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
COMPARISON: CADILLAC ELDORADO; JOHNNY LIGHTNING & TOMICA PREMIUM
Topic Started: Apr 8 2018, 01:53 PM (631 Views)
toyotageek
Member Avatar
Japanese Minicar Maniac
Let's take a comparison look at the Johnny Lightning MiJo Exclusive 1959 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible and the Tomica Premium Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz

Posted Image
20180407_181130 by Michael Foertsch, on Flickr

Johnny Lightning MiJo Exclusive 1959 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible - limited to 3600 models; custom gloss pink; opening hood; no scale indicated, but advertised as 1/64; made in China; online prices vary $6 to $8 or more
Interesting copyright on base p 2018 TOMY International, Inc. & 2018 Round 2, LLC
Posted Image
20180407_181150 by Michael Foertsch, on Flickr

Tomica Premium Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz - scale 1/75; working suspension; plastic base; body metal and plastic; made in Vietnam; online prices vary $7 to $8 or more
Posted Image
20180407_181236 by Michael Foertsch, on Flickr

Posted Image
2018-04-08_11-18-50 by Michael Foertsch, on Flickr

JL on the left, Tomica on the right

Posted Image
20180407_181503 by Michael Foertsch, on Flickr

Posted Image
20180407_181523 by Michael Foertsch, on Flickr

Posted Image
20180407_181653 by Michael Foertsch, on Flickr

Posted Image
20180407_181626 by Michael Foertsch, on Flickr

Posted Image
20180407_181834 by Michael Foertsch, on Flickr

Tomica top, JL bottom
Posted Image
20180407_181802 by Michael Foertsch, on Flickr

Tomica
Posted Image
20180407_181550 by Michael Foertsch, on Flickr

JL
Posted Image
20180407_181531 by Michael Foertsch, on Flickr

Tomica
Posted Image
20180407_181924 by Michael Foertsch, on Flickr

JL
Posted Image
20180407_181910 by Michael Foertsch, on Flickr

JL
Posted Image
20180407_182059 by Michael Foertsch, on Flickr

Tomica
Posted Image
20180407_181844 by Michael Foertsch, on Flickr

JL
Posted Image
20180407_181900 by Michael Foertsch, on Flickr

Please feel free to discuss...

As for me, I think they are both nice. You can definitely feel the weight difference as the JL is much heavier. Each has a little something that the other is missing. Combine all the good elements of both and you'd have a really great model.

Edited by toyotageek, Apr 8 2018, 03:07 PM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

tksjohn
Member Avatar
Station Wagon
Thanks for the great detailed pictures, they made an interesting comparison. Do you think you might be able to post a picture of each base? The Round 2 on the bottom of the Tomica you mentioned greatly sparked my interest!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Swifty
Member Avatar
The Mustang II is a Mustang too!
The Tomica is beautiful! I need to acquire one!

toyotageek
Member Avatar
Japanese Minicar Maniac
tksjohn
Apr 9 2018, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the great detailed pictures, they made an interesting comparison. Do you think you might be able to post a picture of each base? The Round 2 on the bottom of the Tomica you mentioned greatly sparked my interest!
Tomica on top, Johnny Lightning on bottom
Posted Image
20180409_193632 by Michael Foertsch, on Flickr

Tomica
Posted Image
20180409_193525 by Michael Foertsch, on Flickr

Johnny Lightning
Posted Image
20180409_193435 by Michael Foertsch, on Flickr

Posted Image
20180409_193449 by Michael Foertsch, on Flickr

tksjohn
Member Avatar
Station Wagon
toyotageek
Apr 9 2018, 11:48 PM
tksjohn
Apr 9 2018, 03:39 PM

Tomica
Posted Image
20180409_193525 by Michael Foertsch, on Flickr

Johnny Lightning
Posted Image
20180409_193435 by Michael Foertsch, on Flickr

Posted Image
20180409_193449 by Michael Foertsch, on Flickr
Thank you for posting those pictures! I'm very curious as to why Tomy is on the bottom of the JL. I thought Round 2 took back over all of the JL castings from Tomy. The castings itself are completely different, so it just makes me wonder :wall:

jedimario
Member Avatar
RAWR
Not at all a fan of the Tomica. It's too short and just doesn't capture the essence ofnthe real car.

toyotageek
Member Avatar
Japanese Minicar Maniac
tksjohn
Apr 11 2018, 09:54 AM
Thank you for posting those pictures! I'm very curious as to why Tomy is on the bottom of the JL. I thought Round 2 took back over all of the JL castings from Tomy. The castings itself are completely different, so it just makes me wonder :wall: [/big]
The plot thickens...

Maybe Tomy has retained the rights to some or all the castings? I never checked any other models.

Is anyone from JL/AW/Round 2 active on FB or Instagram? They'd really be the ones to ask.

juantoo3
Member Avatar
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Curiouser and curiouser. I too, understood Round 2 to regain control of the former Playing Mantis era JL tools, with "permission" to use the Racing Champions and Ertl tools. From what I see shown here, it appears TOMY made the wise move to "lease" the tools (they wouldn't have used them anyway), and who better to lease to than Tom Lowe / Round 2? This way they keep intellectual control, and probably get a cut of production costs as well...and that goes far to explain the leap in price from $3 to $6.

I want to like the Tomica, it does have some details that are nicely done, and others that seem incomplete. As Rob said, it also appears on the short side, but that is hard to gauge freehand...they are monstrous cars, but the JL seemed possibly a bit on the long side. This from the guy who collects the mainline HW which is proportioned like a toothpick. Without getting out a micrometer and a calculator and doing some quick math it is hard to say which is more accurate proportionally. Both have detail pluses and minuses. If I were forced to choose, it would be based purely on sentiment for the JL. I can appreciate the Tomica as another noble attempt to capture this iconic American Dreamboat in scale. So, trying to be objective, I would call it a tie.

Dean-o-mite
Member Avatar
Muscle Car
Correct; Tomy still holds the rights to all Round 2 brands including Johnny Lightning, Racing Champions and Ertl. I hadn't realized this wasn't more widely known or I'd have made a better effort to inform. Tom Lowe has the exclusive contract to utilize the castings, so you won't see them used elsewhere.

toyotageek
Member Avatar
Japanese Minicar Maniac
Dean-o-mite
Apr 17 2018, 04:11 PM
Correct; Tomy still holds the rights to all Round 2 brands including Johnny Lightning, Racing Champions and Ertl. I hadn't realized this wasn't more widely known or I'd have made a better effort to inform. Tom Lowe has the exclusive contract to utilize the castings, so you won't see them used elsewhere.
:o Dean, how could you have not told us this before! :rolleyes:

But now I want to know, how do you know this pertinent information? Did you read it somewhere, or have a conversation with Mr. Lowe? Curious minds, well, at least my mind, wants to know. ^_^

Dean-o-mite
Member Avatar
Muscle Car
Jeff Koch, with his insider connections, was the one who told me a bit about the negotiations between Lowe and the powers that be at Tomy. Tomy wouldn't give up the brands but were easily convinced to let the castings be leased and produced.
The Tomy info has been printed on the bases of the re-born JL cars, as well as noted on the packaging, since the beginning of the revival.

tksjohn
Member Avatar
Station Wagon
Dean-o-mite
Apr 18 2018, 12:36 AM
Jeff Koch, with his insider connections, was the one who told me a bit about the negotiations between Lowe and the powers that be at Tomy. Tomy wouldn't give up the brands but were easily convinced to let the castings be leased and produced.
The Tomy info has been printed on the bases of the re-born JL cars, as well as noted on the packaging, since the beginning of the revival.
Very interesting. Something I've not paid close attention to, but thanks for clearing this up!

toyotageek
Member Avatar
Japanese Minicar Maniac
Dean-o-mite
Apr 18 2018, 12:36 AM
Thanks for the intel Dean! :2thumbsup:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Inspection Station: Reviews · Next Topic »
Add Reply

May's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations DinoMom for winning May's contest!

June's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations Airborn511 for winning June's contest!