Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Announcements (Updated: April 17, 2018)

Welcome to Swifty's Garage!

Thanks to all of you for making this board what it is today!

Attention new members: We would like to welcome you personally, so please introduce yourself. Click here: INTRODUCTIONS

For all the latest news and announcements, please click here: PA System

Thank you - The Swifty's Garage Team

This board is best viewed at 1024 x 768 Resolution

Car of the Week:

Playart 1977 Chevrolet Caprice

To learn more about the Playart '77 Chevrolet Caprice: Click Here
Welcome to Swifty's Garage. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Thank You,
The Swifty's Garage Team

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Tokyo Torque series 2 and 3; GL please do anything other than Datsuns!
Topic Started: Apr 10 2018, 03:20 AM (336 Views)
6A13TT
Member Avatar
Subcompact
I can't seem to find anyone discussing the two upcoming Tokyo torque models on this site so I decided to start a discussion. how come Greenlight is only doing nissans even though they had access to a Mitsubishi and Toyota licence? there is so many models that they can do from these brands like the Galant,Lancer,Supra,Celica,Corolla to name a few.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MrFutura
Member Avatar
Station Wagon
Riding the trending Nissan wave right now. How many Skylines are there?! I have to admit that I was not into the Skylines since most of them never made it to the states and I don't have a nostalgic connection to them. I have always loved the 510 Bluebirds. There seems to be a lot of focus on racing teams as well. What would be a good example of a famous Toyota racer? I wonder if companies like Greenlight deliberately follow Hot Wheels' lead, to see what's selling.

Swifty
Member Avatar
The Mustang II is a Mustang too!
I'm so sick of Nissans it isn't even funny. The Skyline is overrated. I'll pick up the 510s and the classic Z cars and Skylines, but I'll leave modern Skylines hanging on the pegs. Just like it seems everyone else is doing with them at Toys R Us. The Zs disappeared, but the Skylines are pegwarming badly.

I too crave Toyotas, Hondas, and Mazdas. Where are the Supras, Celicas, RX-7s, etc? Tomica, Kyosho, Hot Wheels, and M2 already beat GreenLight to the Nissans. :rolleyes: Enough is enough. Japan's offered far more to the motoring public than just Nissans. Cars like these:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And if you have to do Nissans? How about something oddball and quirky and JDM as all get go?

Posted Image

jurcpa
Fullsize
the pictures of the original cars are great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! congrat

tksjohn
Member Avatar
Midsize
My dad has a 1982 Celica GT-S that has never been made in die-cast before. It would make his world if GL ever made a replica of his as my Grandpa bought the Celica new in 1982. There have been similar castings of the Celica Supra made, however, none of the GT-S model which has the shorter hood, rather then the longer hood of the Supra (In my opinion actually looks better then the Supra)

tksjohn
Member Avatar
Midsize
Thinking about it, does GL even have a Toyota license? I can't think of a Toyota GL has ever made off the top of my head and Toyota is not listed as a manufacturer on ZA3 Collectibles.

The only Toyota I can think of GL doing is the 1/43 Fast and Furious Supra. I presume they were able to make that one through their licensing with Universal, but if they are able to make Toyota models, why haven't they? Greenlight could make a great Tundra, Sequoia, or 4runner, along with many others

Swifty
Member Avatar
tksjohn
Apr 11 2018, 10:27 AM
My dad has a 1982 Celica GT-S that has never been made in die-cast before.
Haven't shot one. The closest I've got to that is this:

Posted Image

I can't shoot what doesn't come to car shows. As it stands this one was on a used car lot. Bear in mind I had a MK II Celica Supra and would love to have another some day. That longer hood hides an inline six that gives the car a bit more grunt than the four-banger Celica with its shorter hood. ;)

tksjohn
Member Avatar
Midsize
Swifty
Apr 11 2018, 08:29 PM
tksjohn
Apr 11 2018, 10:27 AM
My dad has a 1982 Celica GT-S that has never been made in die-cast before.
Haven't shot one. The closest I've got to that is this:

I can't shoot what doesn't come to car shows. As it stands this one was on a used car lot. Bear in mind I had a MK II Celica Supra and would love to have another some day. That longer hood hides an inline six that gives the car a bit more grunt than the four-banger Celica with its shorter hood. ;)
Here's a few pictures of my dad's Celica. His is absolutely mint condition, all original everything with I believe 76,000 miles on it. Only 20,000 miles have been put on it over the last 30 years. You can thank grandpa for using the first 50,000 in 3 years :lol:

Posted ImageCelica at ATOM show edited by John, on Flickr

Posted ImageCelica at Troy Show by John, on Flickr

Posted ImageCELICA CROPPED by John, on Flickr

Posted ImageCelica win at Subaru Show by John, on Flickr
Edited by tksjohn, Apr 12 2018, 08:51 AM.

JBH6666
Member Avatar
Midsize
I was my son's age when I got the car from my dad, and it brings me back to that time in my life every time I drive it. It's not fast, but it keeps up with modern traffic, still is a fun car to drive. It definitely turns heads in SE Michigan these days- it may be the only one left in the state.

Thanks for posting TKSJOHN!

BossCar
Fullsize
Releasing only Datsuns and Nissans for Japan is like releasing only Mustangs and Camaros for the states, or Lamborghinis for Italy. They really need at least one more non-Nissan or Datsun. Eclipse maybe?

I like the R34 casting, but come on GL, we all know you can spice this up!
Edited by BossCar, Apr 12 2018, 08:57 PM.

Swifty
Member Avatar
:drool: That is one awesome Celica! Brings back memories - my '83 Celica Supra was also white! Mine had a blue cloth interior - I really need to acquire another one some day.

Dean-o-mite
Member Avatar
Pony Car
There's more to U.S. cars than Camaros and Mustangs???

Oh yeah, the diecast companies like Corvettes, too

6A13TT
Member Avatar
Subcompact
Dean-o-mite
Apr 13 2018, 01:08 AM

We need more diecast brands doing small scale A Body's especially Greenlight as I want a 1:64 scale version of the VG valiant casting with an opening bonnet for pete's sake.

toyotageek
Member Avatar
Japanese Minicar Maniac
Nissan/Datsun = :beatit:

Unfortunately Nissans and Datsuns are the HOT Japanese cars so the diecast makers will cash in on them as much as possible. While WE may think the other Japanese cars are just as cool, or even cooler, it seems the makers think otherwise. :(

Dean-o-mite
Member Avatar
Pony Car
I don't like it, but the reasons why make complete sense. We are but mere nibblers to the diecast manufacturers. The JDM fanbois (and Mustang / Camaro fanbois) are rabid in comparison. Take a look at new release preview photo topics here at the Garage and there are guaranteed to be replies such as "too many re-colors / we need new castings" and out of a set of 6 or 12, "Two of those will come home with me."

Being introduced to Instagram, I see people who will hoard 20+ of every single JDM release these companies put out, regardless of number of re-colors. When they are guaranteed to sell quickly, I find it hard to fault the companies for churning out the same cars as every other company - and the flavor of the month (year) right now, is Datsun 510 / Nissan Skyline. No matter how many they make, there are hoarders who will hoover up every single one they can find, which equals more profit compared to the Swifty's Garage crowd who are in it for more of the long run and are far more selective / reserved with purchases.

:02:

96cutlass
Member Avatar
Midsize
Dean-o-mite
Apr 13 2018, 01:08 AM

Yeah, I hear that there are wagons that aren't Nomads too!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Register for Free
« Previous Topic · Bay 4: GreenLight · Next Topic »
Add Reply

September's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations FoolTrottel for winning September's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here

4th quarter 2017's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations guy64 for winning 4th quarter 2017's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here