Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Announcements (Updated: May 22, 2018)

Welcome to Swifty's Garage!

Thanks to all of you for making this board what it is today!

Attention new members: We would like to welcome you personally, so please introduce yourself. Click here: INTRODUCTIONS

For all the latest news and announcements, please click here: PA System

Thank you - The Swifty's Garage Team

This board is best viewed at 1024 x 768 Resolution

Car of the Week:

Neo Scale Models 1977 Lincoln Continental Mark V

To learn more about the Neo '77 Lincoln Mark V: Click Here
Welcome to Swifty's Garage. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Thank You,
The Swifty's Garage Team

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Matchbox Motor Show Series
Topic Started: May 10 2018, 12:56 PM (353 Views)
Mikey 1/64
Member Avatar
Fullsize
I have this set of Motor Show two-packs which I bought off the shelf back in 1994. I haven't heard them mentioned very often - are they scarce? I think some of the colour variations are different to the mainline models.

The plastic plinths inter-lock to create a sort of circular display "wheel". Does anyone know any more about these??

Cheers :thumbup:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

tksjohn
Member Avatar
Fullsize
Wow sweet sets, and it looks like you got them for a sweet price in 1994! I'm not too familiar with these either, so I can't tell you the rarity of them, but thanks for sharing the pics :thumbup:

Dean-o-mite
Member Avatar
Pony Car
The Ferraris were the only ones that were not unique to the series. The other paint colors were exclusive.
The BMW and Mercedes sets were exclusive to the ROW market, while there were two additional sets which may have been exclusive to America. The American sets were Ford, which included a burgundy '87 TBird Turbo and a white '93 TBird NASCAR stock car, and Chevrolet, with a red '85 Camaro IROC Z and a teal '87 Corvette Convertible.

The BMW and Mercedes sets command a high premium price these days, at least here, where they weren't available originally.

webestang64
Member Avatar
Minivan
:thumbup: Super nice sets!

Douglas
Member Avatar
SUV
Cool sets, first I'd heard of them! They were out before my time collecting, but I'd never even seen any at shows or markets over the years.

TheScottishCollector
Member Avatar
Compact
Wow. They [Matchbox] need to do a set like this again someday. Gorgeous models! :wub: :wub:
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mark F.
Member Avatar
Minivan
Never seen them before. :o Very cool. :thumbup:

JBH6666
Member Avatar
Fullsize
Dean-o-mite
May 10 2018, 03:39 PM
The Ferraris were the only ones that were not unique to the series. The other paint colors were exclusive.
The BMW and Mercedes sets were exclusive to the ROW market, while there were two additional sets which may have been exclusive to America. The American sets were Ford, which included a burgundy '87 TBird Turbo and a white '93 TBird NASCAR stock car, and Chevrolet, with a red '85 Camaro IROC Z and a teal '87 Corvette Convertible.

The BMW and Mercedes sets command a high premium price these days, at least here, where they weren't available originally.
The US sets were called Show Stoppers. I have several sets that unfortunately were water damaged at my last home- considering DLM'ing them. The 87 Corvette Convertible had a very period correct shade of teal.

MrFutura
Member Avatar
Station Wagon
I had not seen these before. MB had some great castings back then. It would be nice to see these again with better wheels, tampo details and more accurate colors (and a metal base!).

Ripa
Member Avatar
Minivan
Red BMW, gold Mercedes and blue Jaguar have been high on my wantlist for years. Wouldn't mind the red Mercedes or white BMW either..
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

microbuss
Member Avatar
SUV
now go get one of them battery operated Lazy Susans, rig it up to the car stands & put it on a shelf

pjedsel
Member Avatar
Muscle Car
These were neat - especially when you connected all the sets together as shown in the one picture. Like other stuff, I had all of these at one time - still have the Jaguar set!

THE RUNNING MAN
Microcar
Issued in the US as SHOW STOPPERS , yellow card packaging.

Cheers,J

Tyrolese
Member Avatar
Fullsize
Great sets!! And many color variants i would love to add to my collection!

Dom6698
Compact
Dean-o-mite
May 10 2018, 03:39 PM

The comment about the Ferrari set isnít strictly correct. At least the Testarossa has additional detailing to the lights which isnít on the regular issues.

Dom

Pegers
Member Avatar
Pony Car
the benz 600 really looks sharp.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Bay 3: Matchbox · Next Topic »
Add Reply

September's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations FoolTrottel for winning September's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here

4th quarter 2017's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations guy64 for winning 4th quarter 2017's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here