Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Announcements (Updated: May 22, 2018)

Welcome to Swifty's Garage!

Thanks to all of you for making this board what it is today!

Attention new members: We would like to welcome you personally, so please introduce yourself. Click here: INTRODUCTIONS

For all the latest news and announcements, please click here: PA System

Thank you - The Swifty's Garage Team

This board is best viewed at 1024 x 768 Resolution

Car of the Week:

Neo Scale Models 1977 Lincoln Continental Mark V

To learn more about the Neo '77 Lincoln Mark V: Click Here
Welcome to Swifty's Garage. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Thank You,
The Swifty's Garage Team

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Summer 1955 Ford Thunderbird castings
Topic Started: May 11 2018, 11:56 AM (150 Views)
Random
Member Avatar
Station Wagon
For some reason Summer did multiple different versions of the 1955 Ford Thunderbird.
There's the S8501 which, I think, is the first version and then there's S9019, 9007 and 9231.

Posted Image

S8501 on the left, 9231 middle and 9019 right.
Posted Image

S8501 doesn't have a-pillars at all but the later models have. S8501 is also missing the round little window.
Posted Image

S8501 has a totally different rear end.

Posted Image

This pic shows best the size difference between 9019 and 9231. 9019 is scaled down version of the 9231 without sunroof.

Posted Image

All of them have different underside.

I'm missing the 9007 unless it's same as the 9231 with the spare tire on the back, like S8501.
Will add pics when i find it.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

juantoo3
Member Avatar
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 Seater Tbirds are some of my all time favorite cars, and one I love to collect in scale. Summer isn't my favorite brand, but Tbrids are Tbirds too!

Pegers
Member Avatar
Pony Car
birds of a feather flock together....

juantoo3
Member Avatar
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If one wished to get technical...going by memory here and subject to correction...I think the conti kit was not available on the 55...that was a 56 item that caused steering issues, so the 57 was lengthened a bit to better accommodate the conti spare. Also, the portholes were (as I recall) an option on the 56 to improve blind spot visibility, and was either standard or a popular option on the 57. The 55 *technically* did not have either conti kit spare *or* portholes.

But we all know diecast makers tend to take some liberties...

Random
Member Avatar
Station Wagon
All three are named 1955 Thunderbird in the database, don't know if Summer meant them to be 1955 models.

Which year introduced that sunroof seen on the 9231 :lol:

pjedsel
Member Avatar
Muscle Car
Had all of these (I know, what didn't I have... :lol: ) if I recall the blistercard that the yellow one came on listed it as a '56.

juantoo3
Member Avatar
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Random
May 15 2018, 02:27 PM
All three are named 1955 Thunderbird in the database, don't know if Summer meant them to be 1955 models.

Which year introduced that sunroof seen on the 9231 :lol:
I don't believe any of them came from the factory with a sunroof, the hardtop was removable so really no need. If memory serves, and I'm not quite as certain, I think the sunroof was introduced somewhere in the 58-60 Squarebird design, which I believe to be one of the first optional sunroofs available from any American maker.

The database isn't always 100%. I try, but depending where the info comes from, etc, and especially maker's tendency to ad lib as they go (Summer is particularly known for this), identification sometimes is a best guess. At a glance, the 55-57 Tbirds look very much alike, the details between them are subtle apart from the 57 being noticeably longer...if you know to look. I think we are safe to leave the Summer listing as 1955, or we could list as 1955-57 but I think that would only complicate things even more.

Random
Member Avatar
Station Wagon
Summer liked to put weird options in the most improbable cars, like the sunroof to a removable hard top or towing hitch to a Bmw M3 race car.

I'm fine with them being the '55 in the database.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Bay 10: All Other Brands Of Diecast/General Diecast Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply

September's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations FoolTrottel for winning September's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here

4th quarter 2017's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations guy64 for winning 4th quarter 2017's contest!

To view all this month's entries, please: Click Here