Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Announcements (Updated: August 14, 2018)

Welcome to Swifty's Garage!

Thanks to all of you for making this board what it is today!

Attention new members: We would like to welcome you personally, so please introduce yourself. Click here: INTRODUCTIONS

For all the latest news and announcements, please click here: PA System

Thank you - The Swifty's Garage Team

This board is best viewed at 1024 x 768 Resolution

Car of the Week:

M2 1970 Chevrolet C60 custom pickup

Click Here: M2 '70 Chevrolet C60
Welcome to Swifty's Garage. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Thank You,
The Swifty's Garage Team

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Car Of The Day: June 1, 2018; Revell '77 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
Topic Started: Jun 1 2018, 02:21 AM (294 Views)
Dean-o-mite
Member Avatar
Muscle Car

Posted Image

Today's car of the day is Revell's 1977 Chevrolet Monte Carlo.

Posted Image

Wikipedia

The Chevrolet Monte Carlo is a two-door coupe manufactured and marketed by Chevrolet from 1970 to 2007 model years (non-continuously), encompassing six generations. Chevrolet marketed the Monte Carlo as a personal luxury car, with the last generation classified as a full-sized coupe. The car was named for the city Monte Carlo in the Principality of Monaco, specifically the ward of Monte Carlo/Spelugues. The first four generations of the Monte Carlo (1970-72, 1973-77, 1978-80, and 1981-88) were of a rear-wheel-drive, V8-powered (a V6 engine from 1978) coupe design, utilizing body-on-frame construction. The later rear-wheel-drive generations did not incorporate the trend of uni-body construction that became more prevalent in the early 1980s as automakers downsized their vehicle lines to satisfy increasing demand for fuel-economy after the 1973 oil crisis and the early 1980s recession. A redesigned Monte Carlo was introduced for 1973 alongside other GM intermediates. Like other GM mid-size cars, the 1973 Monte Carlo was no longer a hardtop, but a pillared coupe with rear side opera windows and frameless door glass. Prominent styling features included an egg-crate grille with a Monte Carlo emblem in front and vertical taillights above the bumper. The front bumper was a large federally mandated 5 mph (8.0 km/h) bumper that was among the required 1973 federal safety standards for all passenger cars sold in the U.S. with the 5 mph (8.0 km/h) requirement extended to rear bumpers on 1974 models. Also new was a double-shell roof for improved noise reduction and rollover protection along with the flush-mounted pull-up exterior door handles first introduced on the 1970 Camaro and 1971 full-sized Chevrolets and Vegas.

Posted Image

For more information and pictures of the real car please visit: Chevrolet Monte Carlo

Posted Image

Posted Image

The 1977 Monte Carlo was one of the Revell models which only saw use in the Lowrider series, and unfortunately never saw a stock release like Revell did with their first generation Monte Carlo. Lowriders were quite common in the 90's around Southern California, and are still regular sights at car shows, so as a somewhat familiar sight, I have no hesitation to collect lowrider styled models.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Wikipedia

A revised grille with smaller segments with the Monte Carlo "Knight's Crest" emblem moved to a stand-up hood ornament and revised taillight lenses marked the 1977 Monte Carlo, which was the last year for the 1973-vintage design before the introduction of a downsized 1978 Monte Carlo. Engine offerings were reduced to two engines for 1977. The base engine for 49 states was the 140 hp 305 CID 2-barrel V8 and the 170 hp 350 4-barrel V8 was optional (standard in California). The 400-cubic-inch V8 was dropped as an engine option. The Turbo Hydra-matic transmission was included standard equipment. Interior trim received only minor revisions this year with upholstery choices including cloth, velour and vinyl in both base and Custom trims. Swivel out seats and 8-track were optional. This model year marks the only time in history when an intermediate model was larger in every dimension than a full-sized model, as the B-body Chevrolet Caprice/Impala had already been redesigned and downsized for 1977. The Monte Carlo also weighed more. In 1977 sales totaled 224,327 S coupes and 186,711 Landau coupes.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

juantoo3
Member Avatar
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You're making it very tough to vote this week...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

tksjohn
Member Avatar
Station Wagon
juantoo3
Jun 1 2018, 07:39 AM
You're making it very tough to vote this week...
That's a a very similar comment I was going to make :lol: I've always loved the Low Riders, both Revell and HW's

pjedsel
Member Avatar
Muscle Car
Never been a fan of lowriders but had this one in my collection simply because it was a '77 Monte Carlo - I wonder, though, if Revell had continued to make 1/64th models if this one might have turned up in a non low rider version.

Ripa
Member Avatar
Minivan
I like it. As far as I know, they were never sold here but I found one orange example of this casting with working suspension from a local thrift store around a year ago.

Pegers
Member Avatar
Pony Car
i really like the paint.

94cadillacfleetwood
Member Avatar
Nothing good ever happens after midnight.
No kidding-I was JUST looking at my example of this today. I managed to pick up as many of the Lowriders as I could find. I always wish they had made the '96 Impala SS with a working suspension...

I've been going through my collection this week and I noticed that the early versions of this series have more outlandish graphics than those made after the endorsement by Lowrider magazine. All versions seem to be tough to come by on the secondary market.

juantoo3
Member Avatar
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not sure I would say tough to find...just the sellers think they are made of gold. Very hard to find with a reasonable price tag.

corvairjim
Member Avatar
Station Wagon
It's nice to see that someone did a road going version of this series of Monte Carlo. The only one I was familiar with was Hot Wheels' NASCAR stock car style version. As a kid I was a big fan of the '73-'77 Monte Carlo. Today it looks over-styled as compared to the original '70-'72 series but I'd still like to find one of these. I'm no fan of low riders, but it's just a simple de-tampoing and a wheel swap from finding a space in my display shelves. OK, maybe I'd recolor the Landau top too. Just because it has the low rider suspension doesn't mean I have to use it!

Swifty
Member Avatar
The Mustang II is a Mustang too!
I wish they'd offered in a stock paint scheme. Sadly, despite attending hundreds of car shows I've seen a grand total of one lowrider. At least it had hydraulics!

94cadillacfleetwood
Member Avatar
Nothing good ever happens after midnight.
My one buddy has a stereo/rim shop and he used to do lowriders. In fact when I had my '82 El Camino he installed the hydraulics on it. I was his first customer, in essence. We did it in his home garage. I was always amazed at how easy he made it seem, he and his brother were always tinkering around with go-karts and 50cc dirt bikes when we were younger.

jurcpa
Fullsize
lowridwers ??? interesting but I like the monte carlo and revell and this nice car,many thanks

426maxwedgie
Member Avatar
Running in the 90's
I remember in middle school I bought a crap load of these Revell Lowrider Magazine cars as I was obsessed with the publication at the time. I still have them too. I remember bringing these to school and putting mechanical pencil erasers in the hydraulics on some of them to push them out further and hop them. Good times, and these will ALWAYS be amongst the best in my collection.

Dean-o-mite
Member Avatar
Muscle Car
426maxwedgie
Jun 13 2018, 06:04 PM
I remember in middle school I bought a crap load of these Revell Lowrider Magazine cars as I was obsessed with the publication at the time. I still have them too. I remember bringing these to school and putting mechanical pencil erasers in the hydraulics on some of them to push them out further and hop them. Good times, and these will ALWAYS be amongst the best in my collection.
Toys that got played with - I love hearing it!

diomakr
Station Wagon
Great shots and info- here I thought I had all of these lowriders, and apparently I missed this one entirely.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Car Of The Day · Next Topic »
Add Reply

May's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations DinoMom for winning May's contest!

June's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations Airborn511 for winning June's contest!