Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Announcements (Updated: August 14, 2018)

Welcome to Swifty's Garage!

Thanks to all of you for making this board what it is today!

Attention new members: We would like to welcome you personally, so please introduce yourself. Click here: INTRODUCTIONS

For all the latest news and announcements, please click here: PA System

Thank you - The Swifty's Garage Team

This board is best viewed at 1024 x 768 Resolution

Car of the Week:

M2 1970 Chevrolet C60 custom pickup

Click Here: M2 '70 Chevrolet C60
Welcome to Swifty's Garage. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Thank You,
The Swifty's Garage Team

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
RV Of The Day: July 23, 2018; Johnny Lightning '03 Monaco Safari Zanzibar
Topic Started: Jul 23 2018, 12:06 AM (245 Views)
Dean-o-mite
Member Avatar
Muscle Car

Posted Image

Today's "car" of the day is Johnny Lightning's 2003 Monaco Safari Zanzibar.

Posted Image

Wikipedia

Monaco is a recreational vehicle (RV) brand, manufactured in Decatur, Indiana, and wholly owned by REV Recreation Group. Monaco holds an iconic portfolio of popular Class A Diesel motorhomes. Monaco was incorporated in 1968 as the Caribou Manufacturing Company. They began building pickup campers. The most popular line was named "Monaco." In 1977 the name was changed to Monaco Coach Corporation. It acquired the Roadmaster Chassis Division of Chrysler Corporation in 1984 and the Holiday Rambler Division of Harley-Davidson in 1996. In 1987 Kay Toolson was appointed President. Monaco manufactured seven brands of motorhomes and RVs, including Monaco, Beaver Motorcoach Corporation, Safari Motorcoach Corporation, McKenzie, Holiday Rambler, R-Vision, and Roadmaster Chassis. In 1994 Monaco President Kay Toolson announced they would move their Junction City operations to the Coburg Industrial Park in Eugene, Oregon. On March 4, 1996, the Monaco Coach Corporation acquired from Harley-Davidson, Inc. certain assets of Holiday Rambler (the "Holiday Acquisition") in exchange for $21.5 million in cash, 65,217 shares of Redeemable Preferred Stock (which was subsequently converted into 230,767 shares of Common Stock), and the assumption of most of the liabilities of Holiday Rambler.

Posted Image

For more information and pictures of the real car, please visit Wikipedia: Monaco Motorhomes

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ten years ago, a Winnebago motorhome was our COTD, so I grabbed another motorhome for today. The Johnny Lightning motorhomes represented various series of motorhomes produced by Monaco, but Johnny Lightning used the same casting with different tampos to cover the different motorhomes. I am not well versed in these vehicles, and don't know if the bodies were the same on the real things. Safari was an independent manufacturer before being bought out by Monaco, and I see the real motorhomes referenced as both "Monaco Safari Zanzibar" as well as simply "Safari Zanzibar." I don't know which is more accurate as to how the real one was branded and sold when new in 2003. Johnny Lightning made the motorhomes as a promotional for Monaco, made smaller than 1/64, but they will fit within the long space in a Jammer case.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wikipedia

Safari was founded in the 1980s by Mat Perlot and Curt Lawler, former employees of Beaver Motorcoach Corporation. The company started building diesel- and gas-powered Class A motorhomes. Safari bought Beaver in 1994 for $7.6 million after outbidding Country Coach. In 2002, Monaco Coach purchased Safari and the Beaver brand name. Beaver moved its assembling plant in 2006, but Safari was able to keep its plant in Harrisburg open. Safari also shared ownership in Beaver's Bend assembling plant, but in 2006 the Beaver plant was moved and Safari also had to vacate the plant. In 2009, Monaco filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. The following year Navistar International purchased Monaco, but Navistar did not purchase the Safari Coach brand name, the Safari and Beaver brand names were no longer used. Navistar International Corp purchased the core assets of Monaco Coach Corporation's factories, inventory, brands and intellectual property in June 2009 for $47 million[10] and the company's new name became Monaco RV LLC. In 2013 as part of Navistar International Corp. restructuring Monaco RV LLC was sold to Allied Specialty Vehicles.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

juantoo3
Member Avatar
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I know where my vote is going for this election....

atombaum
Member Avatar
The Quest Continues
Wow, that's a major piece. Thumbs up. Liking the Caprice wagon too. Extra points for the faux wood paneling. Remember those days, but filtered through the fog.

pjedsel
Member Avatar
Muscle Car
:thumbup: This was a fantastic piece from JL. I remember when these came out and so many were trying to find them and couldn't as they, to my knowledge, were only sold at RV stores. Not a place I usually ever go to but recall going to the one close to the repair shop in Bismarck that does the alignment work on our cars as I had time to kill and had already checked out everything at the John Deere dealership. They had them but out of my price range for a model area I didn't collect - know I did get a couple of them for another collector at the time.

Pegers
Member Avatar
Pony Car
:thumbup: :thumbup: it sure does look good.. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Swifty
Member Avatar
The Mustang II is a Mustang too!
The mirrors are extremely fragile. Aside from that, these are awesome pieces if you can find them!

corvairjim
Member Avatar
Station Wagon
That's a Johnny Lightning? I never would have guessed. A truly impressive piece, although it looks to be a good deal smaller scale when compared to the JL '73 Kingswood Estate. I don't care that it's too small - If I find one anywhere close to my price range, I'll grab it!

Stangfreak
Member Avatar
Convertible
These were so very, very sweet pieces to find... I had these 4 and never took any more pics of them before I traded them off, thinking I would find more of them. Well, I never did. That was one seriously "DUMB" move on my part for sure!!!

Posted Image

tksjohn
Member Avatar
Station Wagon
Stangfreak
Aug 7 2018, 11:49 AM
These were so very, very sweet pieces to find... I had these 4 and never took any more pics of them before I traded them off, thinking I would find more of them. Well, I never did. That was one seriously "DUMB" move on my part for sure!!!

Posted Image
It wouldn't surprise me whatsoever if JL re-releases this casting. They've been doing a lot of trucks and other new things, so I can definitely see this casting making a return in the near future. Time will tell!
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

corvairjim
Member Avatar
Station Wagon
I think it may be time for a petition campaign to get ol' Johnny to re-issue these models. Look at the success Greenlight has been having with their motorhomes and little camper trailers. OK, maybe my pick for Car of the Week was beaten out by one of these motorhomes; that doesn't mean I don't appreciate how nice a model it is. I'd pick up one or more of them.

diomakr
Station Wagon
that is a really nice model- I remember seeing these somewhere... thought maybe StangFreak posted 'em years ago. that's the kind of model that you want to love, but just won't work with the other, more appropriately scaled stuff. at any rate, at that size, you could always put it in the back of that wagon, or maybe strap it on the roof.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Car Of The Day · Next Topic »
Add Reply

May's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations DinoMom for winning May's contest!

June's Picture of The Month Contest

Congratulations Airborn511 for winning June's contest!